Minimum tire width for 29mm inner width hookless rim

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

hansotto089

by hansotto089

Hi friends,

With super wide rims becoming increasingly available, I am wondering if anyone has experience or a good opinion on minimum tire width.

I am currently looking at a 29mm inner width hookless rim from Farsports (34mm external width), and Emma from sales says the minimum tire width is 30mm (!).

Now I am aware that e.g. for road I am running a 28mm tire on a 25mm inner width hookless rim without any trouble, but isn't 30mm on 29mm pushing it a little?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

It might be, but it'll really depend on what tire you use and what the pressure will be.
For Emma/Farsports, their saying that from the rim manufacturer end their min is 30mm. But you'll need to also look at what each specific tire would state.

From what I've seen generally the big name rim/wheel manufacturers and tire companies say something in the region of 28mm tires min for 25mm hookless ID rims. So extrapolating that, for 29mm ID rims you're probably safe with 32mm tires. 30mm might be cutting it a little close.
https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/campaigns/ ... patibility

If only there were a governing body which could clearly mandate the fit, fitment, tolerances and testing of hookless tires and rims, with real teeth, guidance and support. What a strange, wonderful world that would be (cough, ahem, ISO & ETRTO)

rulefive

by rulefive

I've got the Nextie AGX 45 rims built up on my bike which have the same internal width as the Farsports rims you are looking at.

My experience so far is that rims of this width expose any oddities in the construction of the tire casing. For example, the 36mm Challenge Strada Bianca were absolute rubbish. I believe this is because the tires are on a much wider rim than they were designed for. The resulting tire profile was not distributing the the load as intended in cornering, which led the tire to feel like it was collapsing.

The other thing you'll need to put your mind to is the width of the tread. The tread on the 34mm Vittoria Corsa Next is too narrow for a rim with 29mm internal width, though I believe other tires of this width may be suitable.

Wide rims for gravel bikes are relatively new, so it will take a minute for tire manufacturers to catch up.

rcrowley

by rcrowley

There are rumored to be new ETRTO standards coming that set the maximum internal rim width for a 28mm tire at 23mm. Extrapolating the minimum tire width for a 29mm internal rim width from that would yield 34mm by absolute size or 35.3mm by percentage. Those both _feel_ appropriate to me but, as they say, I am not a scientist.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

rcrowley wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:03 am
There are rumored to be new ETRTO standards coming that set the maximum internal rim width for a 28mm tire at 23mm. Extrapolating the minimum tire width for a 29mm internal rim width from that would yield 34mm by absolute size or 35.3mm by percentage. Those both _feel_ appropriate to me but, as they say, I am not a scientist.
Wait, so new standard is more limiting than the current one?
The current one permits 28mm tires on 25mm rim.

hansotto089

by hansotto089

Any new insights or experiences to this topic?

chrisw91

by chrisw91

hansotto089 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:48 am
A friend of mine works in the industry (for a distributor of a couple of major tyre brands) so has got access to the 2023 ETRTO guidelines. According to this, the recommended minimum tyre size on a 29mm inner width rim (hooked or hookless) would be 47mm!!

ghdana

by ghdana

hansotto089 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:48 am
I have been riding 3T Discus 45|40s, 29mm internal, hooked. 32mm GP5000s fit just fine, although I did get a sidewall puncture the 2nd time I took them on gravel. I can even blow them up to 100PSI and bounce them(with force) and they don't blow off. Very smooth and fast on the road though. I still have a lot of experimenting to do, next time I'm thinking I'll try a slick that is up around the 38mm mark, looks like Rene Herse is probably my best option.

Worth noting that 32mm GP5000s measure 35.5mm and 40mm Tufo Swamperos measure 40mm.

I kind of figure that we know 28s on 25mm internal work fine, but then ETRTO went back against that. So by that 3mm logic 32s should fit on 29.

Hookless I'd want like at least 35s on, preferably bigger. I straight up refuse to buy hookless anyway.
7.7kg Allez Sprint
9kg Exploro Ultra

RDY

by RDY

In my experience 40s are badly overstretched in the case of Thunderos on the AGX45. 44 Thunderos and 45 Getawayy HTLR just fine. Minimum 47mm spec would be excessive ... but maybe understandable for hookless.

Tonsos

by Tonsos

I have 32 mm GP5000 S TR on my Nextie AGX45 (also 29 mm internal width) with hooked rim and I love this combo. So smooth and still plenty fast. This is primarily for road use, though it's been fine on a few shorter gravel sections as well. I would definitely choose a wider tire if I was on hookless rims though.

lost99999

by lost99999

Hi HansOtto,

I'm new to the forum but have a very similar question for the forum:

Can you fit 35mm Pirelli Race TRL tires on the Farwheels 34mm wide external / 29 mm internal hookless rim. ( and I also already chatted with the same Emma from Farsport .. ;-). Rim height 45mm.

I intend to mount the Tubless Ready tires with tubes, as I;m not ready yet for the extra work of adding and replacing sealant a few times a year.

By the way: 3 years ago I bought Farwheels Kaze55 set: 26mm external, 19mm internal, hooked. Fitted with 25mm Pirelli tires + tubes ( which bulges to ~27) and that has worked very well. Very impressed with the FarSport quality. ( I got the rims with DT350 hubs )

HansOtto, did you get your wheels and fit the tires ? does is work and does it look "badass" ?

Can you share your experiences ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com