Anyone tried rotor 11-39 with a rival axs XPLR?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ianthom

by ianthom

Hi all, the title says it all - I have been using the rotor 11-39 cassette as it is a brilliant, lightweight 1x option with great spacing. I have been using it on two bikes, both with eagle x01 but have busted one of the rear derailleurs and before I shelled out the $ for an eagle replacement I thought I would check if anyone has tried this cassette with a rival xplr. I'm guessing it should work in theory but any real world experience might help me make an expensive mistake ;) Thanks all!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mathias720

by mathias720

would love to know as i am thinking of going for this instead of the 10-44 force cassette

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I have, works great with eagle or flattop chain. Quiet. IIRC, shifts to smaller cogs were a bit harsher out of the box than SRAM, but I was probably over thinking it. I have a 11-46 too, but haven't tried it. I'm going to put the 11-39 on my 1x road bike and the 46 on the gravel bike.

Note - it is not compatible with Shimano 12 MTB, I tried the 11-46 for that.

ianthom

by ianthom

jfranci3 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:12 pm
I have, works great with eagle or flattop chain. Quiet. IIRC, shifts to smaller cogs were a bit harsher out of the box than SRAM, but I was probably over thinking it. I have a 11-46 too, but haven't tried it. I'm going to put the 11-39 on my 1x road bike and the 46 on the gravel bike.

Note - it is not compatible with Shimano 12 MTB, I tried the 11-46 for that.
Great! And just to confirm you were using the XPLR version of the rival axs rear derailleur? Thanks so much for replying mate

jfranci3

by jfranci3

yes. I may or may not have changed out the NW pulley wheels to standard ones.

One other note: For reference, I think 36t - 46t are the absolute range limits for the XPLR RDs

EDIT: just setup my 11-46 cassette. You might be able to pull off a 10-48 if you get the chain length right. There's plenty of screw left, but the wrap gets dicey.
EDIT2: 11sp -> 12sp Force 1 (medium cage) works great with the 11-39, didn't even change the chain.

In playing with it, you might find going from the bigger cogs to the smaller ones is a bit chunky becaue the cassette is unloading 2 links between the cassette and chainring sometimes. Not sure if SRAM or Shimano does this smoother somehow.
Last edited by jfranci3 on Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ianthom

by ianthom

jfranci3 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:57 pm
yes. I may or may not have changed out the NW pulley wheels to standard ones.

One other note: For reference, I think 36t - 46t are the absolute range limits for the XPLR RDs
I am interested if the pulley wheels make a difference, particularly as the eagle uses a 12 and 14 as opposed to the 12 and 12...

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I just don't like how the NW pullies find the chain. Sometimes they don't line up with the right link and take the chain off the pulley. I'm thinking bigger pullies in mud aren't a great idea (if you ride your gravel bike in the wet) because you'll be scraping mud off at a more constant rate rather than in groups/chunks due to the lessened clearence on a stock cage. Plus, more potential ground clearence issues if you ride into a rut or something.

ianthom

by ianthom

jfranci3 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:43 pm
I just don't like how the NW pullies find the chain. Sometimes they don't line up with the right link and take the chain off the pulley. I'm thinking bigger pullies in mud aren't a great idea (if you ride your gravel bike in the wet) because you'll be scraping mud off at a more constant rate rather than in groups/chunks due to the lessened clearence on a stock cage. Plus, more potential ground clearence issues if you ride into a rut or something.
OK great. Any setup tips with the rival and the 11-39? B screw approach? High and low setup? Chain length?
Thanks again

ianthom

by ianthom

jfranci3 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:43 pm
Any tips on b-screw setup with the 11-39?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Not really. Follow SRAMs instructions, which tell you to set it from the 11 gear, not 12 if I recall. Chain length is more critical.