How many spacers: 11-42 SROAD cassette on 11s Shimano freehub

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Hi all, I just want to confirm if I am just stupid for not using the right spacers on my freehub, or if there is actually something wrong with my cassette. I am using a SROAD 11-42 cassette on Shimano 11s freehub on my gravel bike, with a 1.85mm (8,9,10 speed) spacer. But is seems all sprockets, apart form the smallest one, are still very slightly wiggling under load. Do I need another spacer?
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aesch

by Aesch

I had the same with a shimano cassette, it ended up to be my fault as I misplaced a spacer somehow in the middle of the cassette. Maybe check this, to be sure.

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Aesch wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:35 pm
I had the same with a shimano cassette, it ended up to be my fault as I misplaced a spacer somehow in the middle of the cassette. Maybe check this, to be sure.
This cassette is all one block, plus the smallest sprocket, so there are no spacers between sprockets, only the one you put on the hub before you slide on the cassette. I know there are 1mm spacers, I am just wondering if I need to add one of those....
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

saldegracia

by saldegracia

I actually found a 1mm spacer today and added it, but no changes to the wiggling....I am starting to think the SROAD cassette spider is actually broken, which is kind of a bummer after only 8k km. Will try a new cassette when I get it and report back.

Erwin

by Erwin

The problem is sorted out yet?

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Hey, sorted...but not the way I thought :) The original spacer was all that's needed. On this occasion the cassette was actually broken, basically there was play between the spider and the cassette body, no amount of spacers would make that go away. I replaced it with a more convential Sunrace cassette and all is fine now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Erwin

by Erwin

Ok, I understand. Thanks for your feedback. I have an Sroad cassette too, so I will have a look at it. 8k km are not that much, but time will tell. Perhaps I have more luck. The cassette is quite light and shifts well.