Tyre liner with tubeless

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Bit of a random one but just been reading this article

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ire-liners

and was wondering whether you could use them with a tubeless setup?

Everything indicates that it's for tubes, but what's stopping one using them for a tubeless setup to reduce the likelihood of punctures full stop. Thanks

Volsung

by Volsung

You'd have to glue it to the tire so it doesn't flop around. You're better off with a cush-core/airliner type insert.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Volsung wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:49 pm
You'd have to glue it to the tire so it doesn't flop around. You're better off with a cush-core/airliner type insert.
My issue it's tyre inserts is what to do if you do actually flat.

I'm testing various things on my bike for Basajaun in July and if I get a puncture that won't seal, then I have to remove the liners and insert an inner tube to carry on, and either throw away the liners or needlessly carry them for however much further. A tyre liner seems like a better solution to reduce the likelihood of flats fullstop.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:07 pm
Volsung wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:49 pm
My issue it's tyre inserts is what to do if you do actually flat.

I'm testing various things on my bike for Basajaun in July and if I get a puncture that won't seal, then I have to remove the liners and insert an inner tube to carry on, and either throw away the liners or needlessly carry them for however much further. A tyre liner seems like a better solution to reduce the likelihood of flats fullstop.
those liner cores are designed to be ridden flat so you can limp home. Probably not a good idea for your use case."Basajaun" since that is more a bikepacking thing.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

It will not work. I have never glued one in [or even used one] but I cannot see that working either.

The tube is what keeps the liner in place. If there was no tube, what do you think keeps it against the tire?

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Butcher wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:36 pm
It will not work. I have never glued one in [or even used one] but I cannot see that working either.

The tube is what keeps the liner in place. If there was no tube, what do you think keeps it against the tire?
Glue, or double sided gorilla tape, who knows, was just hoping there'd be a way of running my favoured tyres but increasing the puncture protection without sacrificing too much RR.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Your barking up the wrong tree. That is all I know. There is no amount of glue that is going to hold this thing to the tire. There is no glue that would hold it either. You could always put a tube in your tire, along with the liner, and hope for the best.

I know people really put an effort on flat tires. Either I just do not have many or I just do not think it's a big deal. 2022, I had no flats. 2021, I had a lot.

satanas

by satanas

Tyre liners used to come in two flavours:

1. Thin, relatively supple. These increased puncture resistance somewhat (with especially thin/crappy tyres) and didn't totally wreck rolling resistance
2. Thick, not so supple. More puncture resistance, but more rolling resistance too, plus problems with tube holes at the joint from abrasion

FWIW, I used the first sort in the (truly terrible) Wolber 32-369 AM tyres decades ago, but only because no other tyre existed. They did the job, but a better tyre would have been the preferred option; I hate tyre liners.

If you're actually getting lots of flats - rather than just being a bit paranoid! - I'd investigate tougher tyres and/or better/more sealant.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

What is the worst case in terms of terrain on the Basajaun route? Can you run a wide slick or will you be running something with knobs? Either way just run armored tubeless without liners and bring plenty to DynaPlugs and spare tubes.

Aka if you buy Maxxis tires, get SilkShield instead of EXO casing tires. If you buy WTB tires, get SG2 instead of TCS, etc etc.

Use Orange Seal, and plenty of it.

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback.

Was worth a shot but I guess as Tobin said, just got to roll with it, find some tough tyres (and yes, I think with knobs) and stock up on DynaPlugs etc.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Tire liners are a difficult topic for me. I like the added protection, and the run flat function (although that is limited).
However, they can be a b*tch to remove. Had them (Tubolight) installed on a wide 27.5" wheel with Conti RaceKing Protection installed. Those sat all year in a corner as they are my winter wheels. Tried to check on the sealant yesterday (still liquid mostly), but took my ages, and a tool to get the bead unstuck. Once I got the tire liner to lift out of the rim bed, it was super easy to remove the tire. On a long winter ride, I would have probably needed a taxi, if I had flatted and didn't get it to seal.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Volsung

by Volsung

Tire liners and rim liner/tire insert are different. Dunno which the OP meant now, but the old tire liners that went between tubes and tires were crummy.

I think some good Schwalbes, a tire insert, and plugs would be pretty bombproof if you really want to play it safe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com