short reach long reach

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

sigma

by sigma

So I was checking out the Grevil F today and it felt quite short to me. It's not a bike I have looked at before and when I got home and read up on it a bit, I found this on the Pinarello web site:

"Reach and stack: Compared to a traditional road bike, the GREVIL F has shorter reach and higher stack to create an elongated position, offering better comfort and better handling." Okay this jives with what I was told when buying my first gravel bike - go shorter and higher. However, BMC has gone the other way with the Kaius and other models. Considerably longer reach (presumably paired with a shorter stem for more nimble handling) and much lower than the corresponding Pinarello.

Wondering if it's simple as long reach + short stem for technical gravel (closer to MTB style) and short reach + long stem for flatter and more aero type stuff.
Curious to hear other's actual experiences.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

warthog101

by warthog101

About 8k km on my revolt now. I've gradually adjusted my position as I've gone.
Ended up with a longer and lower stem. Zero setback seatpost and narrower handlebars.
Mostly gravel roads are what I ride, though there are rough sections.
Very close to the roadie position now. Same reach but bars a touch higher. ~10-15mm.
I didn't like wide, high bars and short reach. Not more comfortable for me and slower.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sigma wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:47 pm

Wondering if it's simple as long reach + short stem for technical gravel (closer to MTB style) and short reach + long stem for flatter and more aero type stuff.
Curious to hear other's actual experiences.

Long reach + short stem gives you a longer front-center without messing too much with HTA. Good for going downhill or going fast on loose stuff.

Erwin

by Erwin

warthog101 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:55 pm
About 8k km on my revolt now. I've gradually adjusted my position as I've gone.
Ended up with a longer and lower stem. Zero setback seatpost and narrower handlebars.
Mostly gravel roads are what I ride, though there are rough sections.
Very close to the roadie position now. Same reach but bars a touch higher. ~10-15mm.
I didn't like wide, high bars and short reach. Not more comfortable for me and slower.
100% my observations too. Ride my Factor LS nearly as my O2, but with about 10mm more stack. The gravel handlebar has more flare (380/420mm) and fewer drop (110mm). Normally the "newer" gravel bikes have longer reach, but slacker HTA and conjunction with shorter stems. Shorter stems accomodate the slackier headtube angle. Advantage is more center to front distance and little to none toe overlap with bigger tires.