Cantilever TRP revox

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shmitt

by Shmitt

Good evening

I know it's a classic, but I'm thinking about a cyclo-cross bike on a cantilever and I was looking for possible brakes, Yes, ten years ago they were available, but browsing the internet I came across something like this:

https://www.bike-gears.com/product/trp- ... ver-brake/

has anyone used this store? is it not a scam, since the trp company itself does not offer this type of brakes, and they have practically disappeared from everywhere?
Unless one of you has a TRP Revox to sell, no matter what version, carbon or alloy.

eli76141

by eli76141

I've been in the market for this exact brake as well. I never found them.

Looks like they have the paypal payment option. Why don't you just use that? If they don't ship it, paypal will send the money back to you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shmitt

by Shmitt

eli76141 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:11 pm
I've been in the market for this exact brake as well. I never found them.

Looks like they have the paypal payment option. Why don't you just use that? If they don't ship it, paypal will send the money back to you.
it's not even about the money, but about whether it's not just an ordinary counterfeit that will fall apart quickly.
I'm thinking of avid shorty ultimate as an alternative, but we'll see. Maybe you had experience with shorty ultimate?

eli76141

by eli76141

Shmitt wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:34 pm
it's not even about the money, but about whether it's not just an ordinary counterfeit that will fall apart quickly.
I'm thinking of avid shorty ultimate as an alternative, but we'll see. Maybe you had experience with shorty ultimate?
Well if they fall apart, make sure it happens fast. Your ebay buyers protection will help you if it happens - within 6 months if I remember correctly.

Yes, I had the Avid Shorty Ultimates on a previous cx bike. They're fine. I bit finicky to adjust. But besides that, they are fine. And much easier to source. But Revox just looks much better IMO.

Shmitt

by Shmitt

eli76141 wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:13 am
Shmitt wrote:
Well if they fall apart, make sure it happens fast. Your ebay buyers protection will help you if it happens - within 6 months if I remember correctly.

Yes, I had the Avid Shorty Ultimates on a previous cx bike. They're fine. I bit finicky to adjust. But besides that, they are fine. And much easier to source. But Revox just looks much better IMO.
if you say so, maybe you can try to order a trp revox. the issue is essential, I will be ordering a frame from a frame builder with cantilever brake mounts, it will probably take more than half a year. I would not like to install the trp revox, then be surprised that something will not fit or work. Ultimately, the bike is to be equipped with the sram force 1 / rival 1 group. Since the avids shorty ultimate are from sram and are supposed to work best with sram shifters, why not choose Shorty?
One more thing: I plan to order a narrow version for the front and rear, do you use Avids in the standard version: wide at the front and narrow at the back?

Singular

by Singular

Shmitt wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:03 pm
eli76141 wrote:
Shmitt wrote:

if you say so, maybe you can try to order a trp revox. the issue is essential, I will be ordering a frame from a frame builder with cantilever brake mounts, it will probably take more than half a year. I would not like to install the trp revox, then be surprised that something will not fit or work. Ultimately, the bike is to be equipped with the sram force 1 / rival 1 group. Since the avids shorty ultimate are from sram and are supposed to work best with sram shifters, why not choose Shorty?
One more thing: I plan to order a narrow version for the front and rear, do you use Avids in the standard version: wide at the front and narrow at the back?
I'd be really interested to hear how you've come to the decision to commission a bike with cantilever mounts in 2022/2023 (which is apparently not for 40s-and-Heine-style classic builds) - that is by all means somewhat anachronistic.

(and I'm not saying there's anything wrong: I still use cantis on my winter/hack/commuter/touring bike and mini-V on my CX race rig, but both those framesets were less than a nice cut of steak)

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

[quote=Shmitt post_id=1783021 time=1672401827 user_id=67002]
[quote=eli76141 post_id=1782999 time=1672391631 user_id=131655]
[quote=Shmitt post_id=1782733 time=1672238044 user_id=67002]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have the Avid Ultimate Shories on a old carbon cyclocross bike. Just ordered and received some new wheels and pads for this bike and they work very well in the dry and okay in the wet, the old wheels since the new have not been set up yet. The bike is right at 15 lbs with Rival 10 speed shifters and derailleurs. Red compact cranks and Stans 340 wheelset with Michelin Mud 2 tires set up tubeless. This is my gravel bike. Also switching to Panaracer Gravelking tires which I understand they are a pain to set up tubeless. Will report back on that

Shmitt

by Shmitt

Singular wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:52 pm
Shmitt wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:03 pm
eli76141 wrote:
Shmitt wrote:

I'd be really interested to hear how you've come to the decision to commission a bike with cantilever mounts in 2022/2023 (which is apparently not for 40s-and-Heine-style classic builds) - that is by all means somewhat anachronistic.

(and I'm not saying there's anything wrong: I still use cantis on my winter/hack/commuter/touring bike and mini-V on my CX race rig, but both those framesets were less than a nice cut of steak)
I already have one classic bike, full fixed, both frame and fork, of course campanolo record 12s mechanical groupset.
Another full steel classic was dreamed of, and cantilevers because they are trouble-free in relation to disc ones, no rubbing, no fluid exchange, cables are always easy to change, and by buying rims you can simply have a bike for years. painting what you want.
I do not race, I would not ride in the mountains or trails with this bike. Just for rides this time of year in the field.

CrossRob

by CrossRob

Shorty Ultimates work fine with the right pads, as long as you're not expecting the same lower arm comfort as discs. I used mine in the alps and in London traffic for years without a problem - just a little fatigue after repeated heavy breaking. For less pressurised situations, they're great.

Mine were always set in the narrow position as I occasionally found when racing CX that they'd get clipped if set wide.

Mud build up was the problem, as with any cantilever, so it depends where/when you're riding if that's an issue for you.

eli76141

by eli76141

Shmitt wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:36 pm
I already have one classic bike, full fixed, both frame and fork, of course campanolo record 12s mechanical groupset.
Another full steel classic was dreamed of, and cantilevers because they are trouble-free in relation to disc ones, no rubbing, no fluid exchange, cables are always easy to change, and by buying rims you can simply have a bike for years. painting what you want.
I do not race, I would not ride in the mountains or trails with this bike. Just for rides this time of year in the field.
Instead of canti, you should consider mid/long reach caliper brakes.

You will have clearance for up to 35 mm knobbly tires. The bike will have the looks of a racebike, since they are regular caliper brakes (just a bit longer). You will have better brake performance than canti. You'll be able to ride the same wheels as canti. The brakes are very easy to source. They are not particular pricy. So many advantages.

https://road.cc/content/review/115645-t ... rop-brakes

This guy is running 35 mm tires in this bike:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

schlafen

by schlafen

How is your custom frame coming along? Still going or did you drop it?

Came across this thread looking for Revix cantis, yep, haven't found any.

I've been running a standard Rival caliper brake on the rear and a Shimano 650 on the front (custom front end) with Rival 22 and 32mm (~33.5mm real width) Panaracer Gravelking Slicks tubeless on 24mm wide rims for years, I can set them up with only a floor pump, takes all but 10 min for both tyres. Whoever said it's a pain to set them up is doing something wrong.

However, I would go with cantis or even vbrakes if you plan to ride bigger tyres or if you plan to fit mudguards, just match them to the correct levers. The braking power is not that good with long arm side pull calipers, I've tried most of them before splitting my rear mudguard in the end, I'll take that over poor braking.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk