Aero Gravel question / perspective

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alolympic

by Alolympic

There will be an aero benefit, whether it is enough is a very personal thing.
To me, from what I have read in various channels, something like 80% of aero drag is the rider (their position, clothing, helmet etc.) then 20% is the bike frame, tyres, components, drivertrain etc.
How much more aero will an aero optimised gravel race frame be compared to say, a Crux. Maybe 10% tops?
But that isn't 10% improvement of the total bike - as it is just the frame, and the intergrated cockpit I guess. So, let's be more realistic and say it 7% more aero. After all, the tyres, wheels and drivertrain will be equal.
That would make it very roughly - a 7% improvement of the total 20% that is the bike. Which equates to 1.4% improvement of the total system.
If the bike is better suited to you, you like it more, it will inspire you are to ride more, great.
And if a 1.4% aero improvement feels worthwhile to you, go for it.

Big caveat that this is all rough approximation in terms of numbers...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Aerowheels is a topic I am still a little lost about. Some manufacturers (Swiss Side, Hunt) claim there is an advantage to be had, even when using 40c tires on a ~30mm external rim, while ENVE states, the Aero Advantage of their wheels is lost when going beyond a 33mm tire.

I find it interesting that Factor/ BlackInc equip their Aero gravel bike offering with very shallow 34mm deep wheels, and still claim an aero advantage.

The Dicut 45/ 40 and Nextie look like an interesting option, too, but apparently no one has ever aero tested them. Should we just go stupid low weight with textile spokes? Or is there a sizeable aero advantage to be had?
SwissSide say 1.8W between a 42mm and 25mm deep wheel. But then again, they are selling a product.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

spartacus

by spartacus

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:52 pm
Aerowheels is a topic I am still a little lost about. Some manufacturers (Swiss Side, Hunt) claim there is an advantage to be had, even when using 40c tires on a ~30mm external rim, while ENVE states, the Aero Advantage of their wheels is lost when going beyond a 33mm tire.

I find it interesting that Factor/ BlackInc equip their Aero gravel bike offering with very shallow 34mm deep wheels, and still claim an aero advantage.

The Dicut 45/ 40 and Nextie look like an interesting option, too, but apparently no one has ever aero tested them. Should we just go stupid low weight with textile spokes? Or is there a sizeable aero advantage to be had?
SwissSide say 1.8W between a 42mm and 25mm deep wheel. But then again, they are selling a product.
When the tire gets wider, the air foil needs to get longer (rim deeper) to keep the airflow attached; it seems that gravel tires are wide enough that this is impractical to accomplish well.