Open new UP vs Niner RLT 9 RDO

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gothddraig

by gothddraig

Hello,
I am tall 194cm and heavy rider 88-90kg.
My goal is a lightweight gravel bike with gravel slicks to compete in strava with road bikers uphill.
In my area there are not big hills, from 40 to 100m. I have every chance for KOM, I used to do it on my MTB hardtail with wide tires, I have good anaerobic power and uphill sprints, although I can't give out big FTP but sprint uphill is easier for me than for others. At this point, I bought a home trainer and started to train hard. All this motivates me. I don't want a road bike because I need to ride through fields and forests to get good asphalt with uphil, so a gravel bike is what I need, and at least I like it visually.

I already have the this a light weight parts:
WHEELS Zipp 303 Firecrest (FW 632 g + RW 754 g) = 1386g
CRANK SET Easton EC90 SL Crank arm - 175mm - 358,5g
SEAT POST Roval Alpinist Seatpost 27,2mm - 150,9g

Choosing the bike frame of my dreams.
I looked at all brands of bicycles and came to a choice between Open new UP vs Niner RLT 9 RDO
I know the Open UP frame is a very light and beautiful build, but I'm not sure if it has enough stiffness for my weight, or if it will be like boiled pasta while climbing a hill?
And I didn't find any information about the weight of Niner RLT 9 RDO but I heard that it has good stiffness for heavy riders.

Building an Open UP easier because I can buy the frame separately, and Niner will have to buy an already assembled bike and replace some parts.
I can't decide which one to choose, both geometry suit me. I hope for advice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

gothddraig wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:54 pm
Hello,
I am tall 194cm and heavy rider 88-90kg.
My goal is a lightweight gravel bike with gravel slicks to compete in strava with road bikers uphill.
In my area there are not big hills, from 40 to 100m. I have every chance for KOM, I used to do it on my MTB hardtail with wide tires, I have good anaerobic power and uphill sprints, although I can't give out big FTP but sprint uphill is easier for me than for others. At this point, I bought a home trainer and started to train hard. All this motivates me. I don't want a road bike because I need to ride through fields and forests to get good asphalt with uphil, so a gravel bike is what I need, and at least I like it visually.

I already have the this a light weight parts:
WHEELS Zipp 303 Firecrest (FW 632 g + RW 754 g) = 1386g
CRANK SET Easton EC90 SL Crank arm - 175mm - 358,5g
SEAT POST Roval Alpinist Seatpost 27,2mm - 150,9g

Choosing the bike frame of my dreams.
I looked at all brands of bicycles and came to a choice between Open new UP vs Niner RLT 9 RDO
I know the Open UP frame is a very light and beautiful build, but I'm not sure if it has enough stiffness for my weight, or if it will be like boiled pasta while climbing a hill?
And I didn't find any information about the weight of Niner RLT 9 RDO but I heard that it has good stiffness for heavy riders.

Building an Open UP easier because I can buy the frame separately, and Niner will have to buy an already assembled bike and replace some parts.
I can't decide which one to choose, both geometry suit me. I hope for advice.
If you want something stiff and responsive, maybe try the Basso Palta 2. Build quality leaves a lot to be desired on both OPEN and Niner, the OPEN won't be stiff, not sure about the Niner.

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

Sorry I dont think you can compare the 2 frames. As an owner of the Open for 3 years, I now have a 2022 Crux. I dont think there is a review on the internet that the Open was not the best frame in any review from 2018 to 2020. Cant say the same for the Niner. Also dont think that any large riders had any issues with frame flex, that being said, I dont think there is a carbon gravel bike that has an issue with not being stiff enough.
https://www.google.com/search?q=reviewe ... e&ie=UTF-8

Only issue wioth the Open, is limited clearance if you want to run bigger than a 40c tire in 700.
I loved my Open and in terms of frame issue, if you buy new form a dealer any issues will be covered.

I would look at the Crux, stiffness is there and you can buy the frame like i did and use 2x Shimano.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

since you don't have big hills, I'd think you'd be better off with a more aero frame, especially since it sounds like you want to use it a lot on road too. Something like a racemax is going to be stiff too.

gothddraig

by gothddraig

Thank you all for the advice. I chose the Niner RLT 9 RDO after comparing the geometries of all the bikes I found online. For my height of 194 cm all the frames look too high and ugly with a short seatpost because of the high seat tube. I chose a frame in size 59 - It feels like the geometry of this frame was designed for my desires, the wheelbase is shorter than all the other bikes, will not overlap the nose of the shoe given that I have a size 48EU feet. I decided to put the choice on frame geometry and didn't think about weight or stiffness.

rothwem

by rothwem

Make sure that when you're doing a segment, you yell "STRAVA" as loud as you can to make sure your segment starts timing. It's voice activated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com