DELETED

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

LuigiG

by LuigiG

DELETED
Last edited by LuigiG on Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

Yes and yes

LuigiG

by LuigiG

DELETED
Last edited by LuigiG on Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

I think the lack of 38+44 being offered is simply because the setups are marketed for the general public that is roadie oriented. People often think 38 to be too small. But try to spin out 38 to 9 with Ekar.

fa63

by fa63

I ride Ekar cassettes on my Crux (using the Ratio Technology 1x13 conversion kit). I use a 38t chainring with a 9/42 cassette for road riding (it is hilly around here, plus I am fat for a cyclist) and 10/44 cassette for gravel riding. I have never really wished for a bigger gear (well, once maybe on a long mountain descent) even in group rides with a spirited pace. And the low gears are nice to have when doing steep hills.

LuigiG

by LuigiG

DELETED
Last edited by LuigiG on Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuigiG

by LuigiG

DELETED
Last edited by LuigiG on Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

I ride a 40T with the 9-42 most everywhere. The gear range is really nice and the whole system works great on the road, on gravel and on dirt.
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

Vik61

by Vik61

38T + 10-44 on Rival XPLR works fine

Canyon Grizl
Trek Supercaliber

6squid

by 6squid

fa63 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:27 pm
I ride Ekar cassettes on my Crux (using the Ratio Technology 1x13 conversion kit). I use a 38t chainring with a 9/42 cassette for road riding (it is hilly around here, plus I am fat for a cyclist) and 10/44 cassette for gravel riding. I have never really wished for a bigger gear (well, once maybe on a long mountain descent) even in group rides with a spirited pace. And the low gears are nice to have when doing steep hills.
Apologies for digging up an old post, but I'm really interested in your setup as I've been looking at the Ratio 1x13 kit for a while: any particular pros or cons - or reliability issues? Specifically, does the shifting feel different to standard SRAM, and does it go out of adjustment quickly? (I've heard that full Ekar can.) I run a SRAM Force 1x setup with the left shift lever controlling a dropper post: unfortunately not an option if I go full Ekar - so hoping the Ratio kit would be the ideal setup. Many thanks! :)

fa63

by fa63

Hi there, I found the setup to be a bit finicky; it is very sensitive to even very small cable tension adjustments and the RD hanger has to be dead straight. But that is really not much different than standard Ekar. Also, getting the B-gap adjustment right is crucial (I found that running as much B-gap as Ratio called for resulted in slight hesitation when going from the largest cog to the second largest, so I reduced the gap just a bit). Once I had it set up, it didn't require any adjustments other than having to add just a little bit of cable tension due to cable stretch (again, pretty standard).

The shifting felt just like normal SRAM.
6squid wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:00 am
Apologies for digging up an old post, but I'm really interested in your setup as I've been looking at the Ratio 1x13 kit for a while: any particular pros or cons - or reliability issues? Specifically, does the shifting feel different to standard SRAM, and does it go out of adjustment quickly? (I've heard that full Ekar can.) I run a SRAM Force 1x setup with the left shift lever controlling a dropper post: unfortunately not an option if I go full Ekar - so hoping the Ratio kit would be the ideal setup. Many thanks! :)

6squid

by 6squid

fa63 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 2:57 pm
Hi there, I found the setup to be a bit finicky; it is very sensitive to even very small cable tension adjustments and the RD hanger has to be dead straight. But that is really not much different than standard Ekar. Also, getting the B-gap adjustment right is crucial (I found that running as much B-gap as Ratio called for resulted in slight hesitation when going from the largest cog to the second largest, so I reduced the gap just a bit). Once I had it set up, it didn't require any adjustments other than having to add just a little bit of cable tension due to cable stretch (again, pretty standard).

The shifting felt just like normal SRAM.
6squid wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:00 am
A huge thank you for getting back to me - really helpful! Sounds like it should work well for me then: luckily, the mechanic I use has an Abbey Tools derailleur hanger gauge which is super-accurate.

MARC0

by MARC0

6squid wrote:
fa63 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:27 pm
I've designed my own 13s ratchet for sram shifters and you can mix non-ekar chainring and non-ekar chain to have a full workable gearing, so you just need the ekar cassette not the rest of ekar group, a 12s Chorus chain and the chainring you prefer for your crank set.

I released my ratchets 3D files to let people print them wherever and whenever. They are on the first post of the thread written long ago with that purpose.

I'm currently ride one of my gravel with my 12s ratchet and 38t + 10-45 (shimano 12s). And my other gravel with 36t + 9-42 ekar.

Aside, I'm working around a 14s ratchet to work with an ekar 9-36 + 42t extender (to be printed too). I'm not sure I could accomplish this prior goal to be honest.

6squid

by 6squid

Thank you for letting me know Marco,

That sounds fantastic: I'll have a look at your original post.

Much appreciated! :)

qwertzuiop

by qwertzuiop

if only SRAM would release a casette akin to the ekar 10-44. the jumps in the small rings are too big. I don't really mind in the bigger rings as much as in the small ones. 10,11,12,13,14,15,17,19,24,30,36,44 would be my ideal XPLR casette.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com