SRAM 2x 36-tooth setup?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

stevesbike

by stevesbike

Currently running red 11 speed mechanical and would like to run a 36 tooth cassette. I had hoped an old 10-speed SRAM mtb rear derailleur would work but my frame has a rear-exit cable port so the cable routing won't work. One thought would be to run a wolf tooth roadlink and an oversized pulley for increased capacity but not sure if this is just inviting chain drops or even possibly getting snagged between the cassette and spokes given rough conditions of gravel. Has anyone else figured out a work-around?

stevesbike

by stevesbike

following up on my post in case others are interested in solution. I have a J&L OSPW from ebay I used on my roadbike. It has lots of capacity for chain wrap but the upper pulley is too big so not enough room even with b-knuckle fully adjusted. I had an old Shimano cage and took the upper pulley from it and put it on the OSPW and also adjusted spring tension to highest setting. Works great with 36 tooth cassette and 2x.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

burritoh

by burritoh

Interesting. What are you running up front? 50/34?

I've run a 53/39 Sram Red 10s setup w/roadlink and 42t cassette. Occasionally dropped a chain while descending fast on chunky stuff, but mainly due to having it in small/small-ish gears. If I made sure to keep tension on the chain it was totally fine.
Since then I've tried 1x which I didn't like, and am now at a 42/28 with an XG 11-32 and an older XX derailleur(exact actuation). It works for most of the groading that I do, but I'd like to have a bit more gear for the flats while having enough range for the steep stuff, which a 34 or 36 might work well without having to go with a gigantic cassette.

jlok

by jlok

burritoh wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:51 am

I've run a 53/39 Sram Red 10s setup w/roadlink and 42t cassette. Occasionally dropped a chain while descending fast on chunky stuff, but mainly due to having it in small/small-ish gears. If I made sure to keep tension on the chain it was totally fine.
Since then I've tried 1x which I didn't like, and am now at a 42/28 with an XG 11-32 and an older XX derailleur(exact actuation). It works for most of the groading that I do, but I'd like to have a bit more gear for the flats while having enough range for the steep stuff, which a 34 or 36 might work well without having to go with a gigantic cassette.
Is there a thing like 44/28? Then you can pair it with 11-34 Shimano 11-speed cassette.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

burritoh

by burritoh

If I can get my hands on a 44t 120bcd, pairing that with a 34 cassette would be perfect. Specialties TA made one, but I'd probably have to source it from Europe (I'm in the US).

warthog101

by warthog101

I have never used sram derailleurs sorry. Not sure what the capacity of the front derailleur is.
I am using grx 11s.
Praxis 48/32 chainset and sram 11-32 cassette. Perfect for the groading I do. Can even cope with road on another set of wheels with 11-34 cassette. 11-32 or 11-28 would be better for road.
Can you run a 10t cassette with your set up?
That would be perfect I'd have thought.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

burritoh wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:51 am

I'm running a 48/32 up front. Some of the gravel in my area has extended 20%+ sections that gets rutted etc so a 32-36 works well to keep a decent cadence for balance over it. The 48 gives a good top end for racing and road sections. I'm surprised no one made a long cage for sram 2x road mechanical derailleurs like Ratio did for 1x sram. Shimano has one for their 2x systems while SRAM is forcing everyone into 1x.

tmanley

by tmanley

I’ve been running a 48/32 up front with an 11-36 cassette and it’s been a great combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

stevesbike wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:51 pm
I'm surprised no one made a long cage for sram 2x road mechanical derailleurs like Ratio did for 1x sram. Shimano has one for their 2x systems while SRAM is forcing everyone into 1x.
Find a cheap oversize cage but use standard 11 or 12t pulley wheels in it. Now you have a long cage!

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

If OP and anyone else is worried about chain drop on the RD, I know with SRAM you can remove the cage from the derailleur and drill a new hole in it (on the peg circle) to give the spring more tension.
I haven't personally tried this on Shimanos, maybe someone else?

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

burritoh wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:10 am
If I can get my hands on a 44t 120bcd, pairing that with a 34 cassette would be perfect. Specialties TA made one, but I'd probably have to source it from Europe (I'm in the US).
Peter White carries the best stock of TA rings here.
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tach.php

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com