that "perfect" gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

RDY

by RDY

smartyiak wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:49 pm
Anyone have thoughts on this:

https://www.rodeo-labs.com/shop/framesets/td4/

I just really like it. Meets a lot of OP's requirements, but not sure how light is can be built (specs say Med Frame is 1190 (+250g for hardware) and 495 for fork).
It looks nice. But judging by the geo in the larger sizes, it's primarily designed for smooth hardpack and either flat or gently rolling terrain. Steep head angle (particularly relative to seat angle), slack seat angle, not much BB drop. Even if that's what it's designed for, I still don't really understand why the slack seat angle - other bikes are guilty too. Don't think it'd be great for anything steeper or rougher.
Last edited by RDY on Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

If you have an Aethos, then you will love the Specilaized Crux. I was on an Open for 3 years and got the Crux frame and built it with GRX Di2. It is an amazing bike. Light (I think the lightest) although that has 0 consideration to me.
As 90% of my ridding is Gravel, and a lot of of my gravel rides/races have a fair amount of road to it, I wanted a bike that handled like a road bike, but could do the technical stuff. I dont do backbacking, so wantd a fast gravel bike. The Open was amazing, but this is better.
I do a a Gravel route once a week, and I have done this one section per Strava, over 90 times. I set 3 PR and got the KOM on my Crux on these 3 technical section with lots of corners. They are small sections, the only way to get faster is entry and exit speeds into the corners. Same wheels and tires that I have used on my Open, and no there was not a huge tailwind.

I do lot of technical single track on my gravel bikes, I have 650 B wheels with 42 tires that I run at 23PSI. I ride with some people who are terrible in the technical sections, always on the brakes and just lack confidence.
Sorry to say that no bike is going to help you in imprioving on the technical and having confidence going down loose or sketchy downhills. YOu jaut have to practise, ride with people who are better in this area and gain more confidence.
I got a MTB last year, and was way stronger than the people I rode with but my technical was terible, so I was doing so much work to stay with them in the trails. Stoped using my brakes so much, learnt how to take corners and now I can stay with the group.

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

toronto-rider wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:17 am
If you have an Aethos, then you will love the Specilaized Crux. I was on an Open for 3 years and got the Crux frame and built it with GRX Di2. It is an amazing bike. Light (I think the lightest) although that has 0 consideration to me.
As 90% of my ridding is Gravel, and a lot of of my gravel rides/races have a fair amount of road to it, I wanted a bike that handled like a road bike, but could do the technical stuff. I dont do backbacking, so wantd a fast gravel bike. The Open was amazing, but this is better.
I do a a Gravel route once a week, and I have done this one section per Strava, over 90 times. I set 3 PR and got the KOM on my Crux on these 3 technical section with lots of corners. They are small sections, the only way to get faster is entry and exit speeds into the corners. Same wheels and tires that I have used on my Open, and no there was not a huge tailwind.

I do lot of technical single track on my gravel bikes, I have 650 B wheels with 42 tires that I run at 23PSI. I ride with some people who are terrible in the technical sections, always on the brakes and just lack confidence.
Sorry to say that no bike is going to help you in imprioving on the technical and having confidence going down loose or sketchy downhills. YOu jaut have to practise, ride with people who are better in this area and gain more confidence.
I got a MTB last year, and was way stronger than the people I rode with but my technical was terible, so I was doing so much work to stay with them in the trails. Stoped using my brakes so much, learnt how to take corners and now I can stay with the group.
Is the Crux any choppier or smoother compared the Open?
2016 Diverge Expert

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

Is the Crux any choppier or smoother compared the Open?
[/quote]

People ask me how I like this compared to the Open. Truth be told, I don't think there is a bad carbon bike made today at this level. They are all great.
I would have to ride both bikes back to back on the same section with identical tires and wheels to answer your question. THey are both smooth.
What I can say is that the Cruz you are able to just go faster on it (cornering)
I am amazed that some of the corners I don't need to brake on the crux, but would have to break with the Open.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

bigevil

by bigevil

well. small update for those of you wonderful folks following along.
I'm going with an OPEN WIDE. I know its a bit different in criteria from my original but I absolutely love how forgiving it seems yet how with the right groupset and wheels I'll be able to get it likely into the 18lb range and have insane range in gearing. This will give me a year/two to really build my confidence and skills on gravel and we'll see where that takes me next !