2023 Factor Ostro Gravel

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

robeambro

by robeambro

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:58 am
A technical question. I'll soon get the right size seat Post finally (I got the 350 initially, because the bike shop got everything mixed up).
My current seat post is therefore fully extended. However, I can't keep it from creaking and more problematically, slipping. It moves precariously front to back after a while, and definitely slides into the frame.
I have used the official Black Inc paste, and pretty high torque, but it seems the bolt is loosening or something.
Does anyone have a fix for that?
I hope that more seatpost inside the frame at least limits lateral movement.
Interestingly enough, Gran Fondo Magazin just tested the bike and reported the same problem.

It's a common issue. Try:

- adding frame protection (or gorilla tape, or whatever) to the back of the seatpost to reduce clearance

- adding blue loctite (make sure you give it time to dry). I used the gel version that doesn't need a primer - when I tried the liquid one I had issues getting it to set.

I would do the two things above and it should be just fine. If not,

- if the grub screw is stainless steel you may contact Factor to get a revised model, in black, which appears to be better (but still comes with loctite).

- some folks have experimented with sandpaper with good results but I can't speak to that as much.

Be careful of not stripping the thread. Once you set it, forget it. If you need to remove the seatpost or adjust it, you will break the loctite bond and it might not stay in place.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Thanks a lot for the tips. Once the 400mm Seat Post has arrived, I'll stick a stripe of frame protection to the rear flat part of the seat post. I hope that this will limit the front to back movement, which is pretty strong on my seat post.
An added half a millimimeter can come a long way.
Locktite was also on my agenda. Will report back.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

My slipping seatpost issue, which seemed to be caused by a grub screw that refused to stay tight (even with loctite) was resolved by that black grub screw that robeambro mentioned. Factor originally sent me a longer screw, which did not help, then the black screw, which seemed to be the same length as the original. I was skeptical, but it has stayed tight with the black screw for several months now over some pretty rough terrain-I trusted it enough to race on it. I assumed all the recently purchased bikes were shipping with this black screw (I ordered mine when it was first released). Good luck-I know it's a really frustrating issue.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Thanks again for input. Can I order it directly or only through my LBS? I reached out to by LBS, but in Germany everyone is busy with Eurobike.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

robeambro

by robeambro

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:48 am
Thanks again for input. Can I order it directly or only through my LBS? I reached out to by LBS, but in Germany everyone is busy with Eurobike.
You can try - just so that they know what you're talking about, this is the part: M8x14mm*P1.25 binder bolt (black with Nylock) - 120-A661BSF-BK

m3bas

by m3bas

Also don't forget after tightening the grub screw, give the back of the saddle a decent hit, you'll then get another half turn back up to 8nm. Learnt this trick from a previous Giant Revolt with the d shaped post, that also had slipping issues.
I have the silver screw, along with carbon paste on the post have not had any slipping issues.

hobe

by hobe

+1 to this. Last time I did this I had the bike in the trainer. Add paste, set the seatpost height, torque to 8nm and then sit on it and move your weight back and forth a bit. Retorque to 8nm.

robeambro

by robeambro

+2, I had forgotten to mention this. Whack that seatpost!

I've just done a 215k gravel event in England with plenty of rough stuff and the seatpost stayed put, so I'm confident it's now solidly in place. My only annoyance is that if I want to travel I've got to buy/rent a Bike Box Alan EasyFit, so that I can keep the seatpost in place. Not the end of the world, but it's definitely not the most travel-friendly option.

gravelero

by gravelero

sorry, but ostro gravel or kaius01 one? what do. you think about it?

do you know about if a can buy ostro gravel fork alone, without cutting?

gravelero

by gravelero

cycleboyco wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:36 pm
hobe wrote:The Ostro Gravel is one of the frames I'm looking at to replace my aging Stigmata. What was your approach to adapting your fit to the frames more progressive geometry? Just reduce the stem length by an equal amount to the increased frame reach?

It also sounds like you got a 9200 working with minimal issues?

Definitely interested in any photos too!
Compared to my other bikes, the Ostro Gravel (OG) was 5 to 10 mm longer for reach. With those differences and also providing Factor my measurements and getting their recommendations, I decided to decrease my normal stem length by 10mm. Unfortunately, I did not account that those other bikes were GRX and I purchased an OG SRAM build, so my reach is actually shorter than my other bikes by 10mm-I could have kept my normal stem length. I am getting a fit on the OG and may try to get a new barstem depending on the fit results.

Not a great pic, but there are lots of good photos on the Facebook Factor Owners Group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
what size is it?

gravelero

by gravelero

cycleboyco wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:36 pm
hobe wrote:The Ostro Gravel is one of the frames I'm looking at to replace my aging Stigmata. What was your approach to adapting your fit to the frames more progressive geometry? Just reduce the stem length by an equal amount to the increased frame reach?

It also sounds like you got a 9200 working with minimal issues?

Definitely interested in any photos too!
Compared to my other bikes, the Ostro Gravel (OG) was 5 to 10 mm longer for reach. With those differences and also providing Factor my measurements and getting their recommendations, I decided to decrease my normal stem length by 10mm. Unfortunately, I did not account that those other bikes were GRX and I purchased an OG SRAM build, so my reach is actually shorter than my other bikes by 10mm-I could have kept my normal stem length. I am getting a fit on the OG and may try to get a new barstem depending on the fit results.

Not a great pic, but there are lots of good photos on the Facebook Factor Owners Group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sorry i repeat it

gravelero

by gravelero

cyclespeed wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:49 am
Factor is popular in Mallorca and in the recent Rapha Prestige race there were at least 2 x Ostro gravels. Looks very nice, beefy. The frame was 1025g naked (but white paint) with no ancilliaries at all. Fork 540g uncut.
I went for the Topstone 1 Lefty for my gravel bike because;
a) it was 6500 Euros instead of 10kE for the Ostro
b) it is more different to my road OStro. For me, no point in having 2 very similar Ostros. The Topstone is more fun and interesting for me.
are you spanish? did you buy lefty 1? what about it?

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

any chance of a LS VAM based on the new O2 VAM?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Always liked that frameset and finally pulled the trigger and build a gravel bike. Since I was most of my life only on road bikes - where I slowly came to the 30mm wide road tire and started to explore more and more on some gravel roads, this bike really makes sense for the area where I live...the bike as on photo has only 7.7kg, but will replace the wheelset/tires soon for something a bit wider. For those who are interested - it is size 54, although I am 186cm I went for a smaller size to copy the position from my road bike completely (the stem is 120mm)

I do have to mention that the 46T chainring is really close (Garbaruk and 6.5mm offset) although the 1mm spacer from the non-drive side was put on the drive side. I already have a 44T Stone chainring which will replace the 46 (saw that 44 would work better and opted for a chainring with less offset) and put the cransket back in the centre, if anybody will have similar experience you really have to take attention to the offset, unless you have to move the complete crankset with spacers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RonenYMO

by RonenYMO

On the market for a gravel racing rig, and likely will opt for a Factor OSTRO Gravel.

Is anyone here running 1x with a Power2Max? I’m trying to understand if there should be any issue running Rotor aldhu cranks (110 bcd) with a P2M and a single chainring with GRX in the back (thinking of a wolftooth one). Can’t seem to find anything conclusive.