2023 Factor Ostro Gravel

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

hobe

by hobe

47 might be a little to tight with the front deraileur.

Here's a 40mm (WAM) Thundero next to the Front Deraileur. The DI2 cable is the thing that's closest to the tire.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CeAxF1prAPTtCWzd8

There's a 5.5mm gap between the tire & the DI2 cable in this setup.

robeambro

by robeambro

hobe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:45 pm

Here's a 40mm (WAM) Thundero next to the Front Deraileur. The DI2 cable is the thing that's closest to the tire.

Lol no way I'll clear 40mm WAM with my porkier SRAM FD. Though your setup is probably fine - probably being the keyword, of course a carefully placed mud & rock combo might wreak havoc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hobe

by hobe

robeambro wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:20 pm
hobe wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:45 pm

Lol no way I'll clear 40mm WAM with my porkier SRAM FD. Though your setup is probably fine - probably being the keyword, of course a carefully placed mud & rock combo might wreak havoc.
Yeah, so far so good - I was thinking that a zip-tie around the wire might be good extra protection but haven't gotten around to it. I'm interested to see if the upcoming 12 speed di2 GRX FD might work while keeping the 50/34 chainring.

One other thing to consider is that because the FD hanger is bolted on you could maybe space it out with a washer or two (or some fancy 3d printed thing) to allow the the FD body to clear the tire and then use FD trim to get the cage centered over the chainrings in the right way.

parleez1

by parleez1

The Ostro Gravel is at the top of my list for purchasing a new gravel bike Can someone who owns one please post a review on how it rides, handles, comfort. I have read several reviews, some say very uncomfortable, others say its great, very comfortable on a 5+ hour ride, which is it.
Appreciate feedback from a few owners on how you like the ride.
thanks,
parleez1

robeambro

by robeambro

parleez1 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:42 pm
The Ostro Gravel is at the top of my list for purchasing a new gravel bike Can someone who owns one please post a review on how it rides, handles, comfort. I have read several reviews, some say very uncomfortable, others say its great, very comfortable on a 5+ hour ride, which is it.
thanks,
parleez1
Take it with a huge grain of salt as I've only ridden it for 40k (and on the road only), but I wouldn't describe it as "very uncomfortable". It feels like a race oriented road bike to me; it's somewhat less comfy than my previous Aethos but pretty much similar to my Emonda SLR. So yeah, I don't see why I wouldn't ride 5+ hours on it. If it was to be a full gravel bike I think there's better options out there, but as a N=1 I think it's a great option.

For reference, I currently run 28/30mm GP5K TR and LB AR56 rims.

parleez1

by parleez1

robeambro wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:38 pm
parleez1 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:42 pm
thanks,
parleez1
Take it with a huge grain of salt as I've only ridden it for 40k (and on the road only), but I wouldn't describe it as "very uncomfortable". It feels like a race oriented road bike to me; it's somewhat less comfy than my previous Aethos but pretty much similar to my Emonda SLR. So yeah, I don't see why I wouldn't ride 5+ hours on it. If it was to be a full gravel bike I think there's better options out there, but as a N=1 I think it's a great option.

For reference, I currently run 28/30mm GP5K TR and LB AR56 rims.
Thanks robeambro for your feedback. I also ride an Aethos as my road bike. My guess is tire width and inflation psi will make a big difference in the comfort factor.
I ride my Aethos on Roal Alinist CL wheels with Specialized Turbo Cotton 28mm tires at 65psi and its very comfortable for an all day ride. I would be using the Ostro for mostly gravel, but on the road riding from trail to trail in some instances. My desire is to ride mostly hard pack fire road type gravel but there isn't a lot where I live, so that means drivin gto other areas, which I will do. Since I'm used to riding a light weight road bike I want the same off road feel and performance for my gravel bike.
I'll checked out many other race oriented gravel bikes but none resonate with me like the Ostro Gravel, I just have not had an opportunity to ride one, and probably won't in making a decision.
Looking for additional feedback from anyone else owning an Ostro Gravel.

Thanks,parleez1

hobe

by hobe

I'd agree with robeambro. I've put about 400 miles on mine by now and haven't found it to be too harsh or uncomfortable (see my thoughts and setup on the previous page). I'm in the SF Bay Area and almost all of my gravel rides start with a some paved parts to get to the trails. Big +1 on the N=1 aspect, it does a good job on the road, accerates well, and is capable on the types of fire road and trails that I prefer for gravel.

This morning was a 45 mile mix of gravel and road and while my legs are certainly tired after I don't feel any more beat up than on my previous bikes.

parleez1

by parleez1

hobe wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:32 pm
I'd agree with robeambro. I've put about 400 miles on mine by now and haven't found it to be too harsh or uncomfortable (see my thoughts and setup on the previous page). I'm in the SF Bay Area and almost all of my gravel rides start with a some paved parts to get to the trails. Big +1 on the N=1 aspect, it does a good job on the road, accerates well, and is capable on the types of fire road and trails that I prefer for gravel.

This morning was a 45 mile mix of gravel and road and while my legs are certainly tired after I don't feel any more beat up than on my previous bikes.
hobe, thanks for your feedback. Just curious, what tires, width and air pressure are you running? Do you have the stock Black Inc. Thirty-Four wheelset?
Thanks!

hobe

by hobe

I carried over the wheels from my previous bike:

- Nox Citico Rims (23mm internal)
- 28f, 32r laced to Industry 9 Torch Hubs
- Tufo Thundero 40mm at ~35 PSI, tubeless

parleez1

by parleez1

hobe wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:18 am
I carried over the wheels from my previous bike:

- Nox Citico Rims (23mm internal)
- 28f, 32r laced to Industry 9 Torch Hubs
- Tufo Thundero 40mm at ~35 PSI, tubeless
Oh, did you purchase just the frame and cockpit without the wheels? What groupo are you running, 1x or 2x?

hobe

by hobe

Yeah, just frameset, & barstem. I'm running 2x Dura Ace 34/50 to 11/34. Check further back in the thread for pictures of the clearance between the small chainring & chainstay and the front deraileur and tire. It all works and the shifting is great but I could see thick mud building up on the front deraileur being an issue with tires wider than the 40mm I have.

robeambro

by robeambro

Had another ride on the OG. Still on the road (I'm hoping to hit the trails on the weekend).

I have to say, I still don't understand the comments describing it as harsh. Whilst it's no magic carpet ride (and frankly, I wouldn't have called my Aethos on 30's that) it's not meaningfully different than my previous bikes. Out of the saddle it doesn't feel slouchy at all (despite 1550g 56mm rims), and at speed it feels very well "planted" (something that perhaps my previous climbing bikes weren't), probably due to the beefy BB area. I've only descended briefly on it, but it didn't feel "slow" to be tossed around, as one would expect from a gravel aero bike.

TL;DR to me, it just feels like a stiff (in a good way) road race bike. I still remain convinced that I wouldn't buy it to be a pure gravel bike (I think on anything other than hardpack fire roads, there's much better choices out there, and I'd rather have suspension over aero), but to those like me who want a N=1 bike that will be good off-road and yet feel like a race bike on tarmac, I struggle to see a better option.

parleez1

by parleez1

robeambro, glad you are enjoying your OG on the road, curious to hear your review after riding some gravel.
For me this bike would be used mostly for gravel and on the road getting from trail to trail, I still have my Aethos and really enjoy it as my road bike. I'm not interested in a gravel bike with suspension, or one for touring, I want something that is light and fast and after reviewing many other gravel bikes its the one that speaks to me. Others may fit the bill, but if they don't speak to you, in my opinion, you won't enjoy them as much.

parleez1

by parleez1

Can any other OG owners please provide their ride impressions, looking for some feedback before taking the plunge.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

m3bas

by m3bas

Has anyone managed to run a normal bar/stem combo?
Wondering how easy it is if so.
Have found a demo bike for sale but the bar/stem is not the combo I would have chosen, and not a cheap swap...