2023 Factor Ostro Gravel

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

robeambro

by robeambro

hobe wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:40 pm
robeambro wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:43 am
Should be getting the OG in a few weeks, but I should receive my HB02 bars later than expected and was thinking of setting it up temporarily with a quick, dirty and cheap bar and stem combo. I was wondering whether any owners could help me figure out how to go about this? I'm not entirely sure on what would be compatible. The less faff the better as it should only be a temporary solution, but I am open to every possibility so long as it's not too expensive.
You could probably do it with a regular bar & stem as long as you didn't slam the stem to the headset. With some regular round spacers between the the headset and stem you might have enough room to have the brake lines make the turn into the headset opening. You can get a sense of this starting on page 10 of the manual:
https://factorbikes.com/wp-content/uplo ... al_v01.pdf
Thank you - that would be a good idea. Hopefully it's doable.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

seems like this thing almost makes the ostro VAM obsolete as a training/all-around road bike. maybe a little less comfortable. tempting.

also, how come thread titles around here never get updated to list MY and (sometimes) model name of the bike being discussed lol.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigma

by sigma

FactoryMatt wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:49 pm
seems like this thing almost makes the ostro VAM obsolete as a training/all-around road bike. maybe a little less comfortable. tempting.

also, how come thread titles around here never get updated to list MY and (sometimes) model name of the bike being discussed lol.
I have had a chance recently to get on both an Ostro and Ostro Gravel. I was quite surprised that the comfort of the Ostro, which was quite extraordinary, was not replicated in any way in the OG. If anything, it rode much harsher despite having less pressured bigger tires.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

sigma wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:51 pm
FactoryMatt wrote:

I have had a chance recently to get on both an Ostro and Ostro Gravel. I was quite surprised that the comfort of the Ostro, which was quite extraordinary, was not replicated in any way in the OG. If anything, it rode much harsher despite having less pressured bigger tires.
interesting! thanks for the feedback. i'm guessing they just way overbuilt the thing to avoid a PR scandal.

RDY

by RDY

FactoryMatt wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:27 pm
sigma wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:51 pm
FactoryMatt wrote:

interesting! thanks for the feedback. i'm guessing they just way overbuilt the thing to avoid a PR scandal.
It has huge boxy tubes, which increase stiffness. More material required for that, plus needing further reinforcement in some areas, so all else being equal it'd be hugely heavier. Probably they increased the % of high modulus fibers in the layup to keep weight in check, which can make it harsher still. Could also have used a different resin that would make the composite less ductile and able to absorb less vibration, to increase strength in some areas. Though I think either approach would be a mistake as they typically result in something less tough, and harsher - not ideal properties for gravel.

m3bas

by m3bas

FactoryMatt wrote:seems like this thing almost makes the ostro VAM obsolete as a training/all-around road bike. maybe a little less comfortable. tempting.

I’ve been thinking of this as a gravel/ road bike. I still race road but not really many crits so not sure the geo would be a huge issue once adapted to it. This pricing is so extreme though I could nearly build up the cheaper Crux with Force for the price of the OG frame. Reviews have noted how harsh it rides too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robeambro

by robeambro

m3bas wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:28 pm
FactoryMatt wrote:seems like this thing almost makes the ostro VAM obsolete as a training/all-around road bike. maybe a little less comfortable. tempting.

I’ve been thinking of this as a gravel/ road bike. I still race road but not really many crits so not sure the geo would be a huge issue once adapted to it. This pricing is so extreme though I could nearly build up the cheaper Crux with Force for the price of the OG frame. Reviews have noted how harsh it rides too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do think that, as I said before in this thread (a couple pages back perhaps), in my view the OG is the best bike for those wanting a N+1 whilst anybody needing a gravel-only rig will often be better off picking something else.

On the other hand - frankly, if you refer to the review on cyclingnews.com, I would go as far as calling it non-sensical.

The reviewer used it with the stock 32mm tyres (presumably tubed) on gravel, pretty rocky gravel from the few pictures uploaded.

He goes on saying, referring to the idea of mounting 40+ mm tyres: "Yes, this would undoubtedly improve the comfort factor of what's an incredibly stiff bike, but given that the bike is optimised for 32mm tyres from an aerodynamic perspective it seems to me like a reverse engineering fix. "

In the captions of one of the images, he says "plenty of clearance for wider tyres, but if you need wider tyres then this isn't the bike for you".

I think anybody who rides on gravel knows full well that what the reviewer stated is pretty much crap - nobody in their right mind would ride 32mm tubed tyres (possibly jacked at crazy high psi) and expect a comfortable ride on those surfaces. Nor would anybody in their right mind ever race anything other than very light gravel on such skinny tyres, regardless of the frame chosen. Yeah the UCI Gravel WC was ridden on such setups (tubeless though), but we all know that wasn't real gravel.

Secondly, no-one in the real world (aside some running hyper wide rims) is optimising their wheel and tyre combo for aero in gravel, thus affirming that running wider tyres on the OG would be a reverse-engineering fix is kinda pointless - plus, one could easily run wider rims than the stock Black Inc (30 outer width - basically a road rim by today's aero standards). Finally, everyone knows there's very little aero penalty for running wider tyres at the rear, so even if one would like to run a 32mm tyre up front to "optimise aero", they might well improve the rear end harshness by fitting 35mm tyres at the rear with near nil aero penalty.

Is the OG a stiff bike in the stock setup? Yes.
Can comfort be vastly improved by making a few no-brainer choices around tyres and going tubeless? Yes.
Would most other gravel bikes that are not meant to be "aero" (e.g. the Diverge / Crux and others) have been more comfortable than the OG with the same tyres for a long, hard ride on hard-packed chonky gravel? Yes.
Would they have been comfortable enough ? I doubt it.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/fac ... ro-gravel/
Last edited by robeambro on Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kode54

by kode54

Yeah, for this...i would run Rene Herse Steilacoom 38mm tires.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

cyclocross frames used to be cheaper than road. last-gen S-works Crux F/S (Fact 10 or 11 cant remember) was $2600 with CSpeed BB bearings. 980g frame and oh so comfortable. i dunno what happened, but i guess bicycle design houses figured out that gravel racing is the new triathlon and are trying to cash in.

hobe

by hobe

I've done a few longer rides on the Ostro Gravel so far and I haven't found it to be a super harsh ride. It's definitely stiffer than my previous bike (2016 Santa Cruz Stigmata) and feels like it accelerates faster. The Crux was the other bike I was considering but couldn't find a frame anywhere. I'd definitely be interested in comparing the two at some point. It is serving as my N+1 bike and works pretty well for that.

FWIW my setup is:
- Specialized Power Saddle (has some cushion)
- Tufo Thundero 40mm at ~35 PS, tubeless
- Nox Citico Rims (23mm internal, same wheels as on previous bike)
- I'm around 86kg

For the roads/trails I ride on (Northern California fire roads) it's as comfortable as my previous setup and does feel faster in general and more confident when descending.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Regarding actual tire clearance:
Do you think a 700x47c Pathfinder Pro will be cleared well?
I am looking for tackling some rocky Costa Blanca Gravel, so no additional mud clearance needed. The tires apparently come out to just under 47mm in width.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

robeambro

by robeambro

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:15 pm
Regarding actual tire clearance:
Do you think a 700x47c Pathfinder Pro will be cleared well?
I am looking for tackling some rocky Costa Blanca Gravel, so no additional mud clearance needed. The tires apparently come out to just under 47mm in width.
1x? 2x? As far as I know if you're not running SRAM road 2x, you should be fine. I've seen people barely clear 40-42 WAM with those setups.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

- Dura Ace 9200 2x
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

robeambro

by robeambro

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:37 pm
- Dura Ace 9200 2x
Would suggest you join the Factor Owners FB group and ask there. Tbh considering that SRAM Road 2x clears barely 40 (and I mean, barely), I'm not entirely sure DA can clear 47. I thought you'd have GRX.

Is the Crux staying or going :D This is like the third time we get the same bike lol.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Good taste, my man ;)
I'll just try it out. Crux is going.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com