2023 Factor Ostro Gravel

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

robeambro

by robeambro

m3bas wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:52 am
Has anyone managed to run a normal bar/stem combo?
Wondering how easy it is if so.
Have found a demo bike for sale but the bar/stem is not the combo I would have chosen, and not a cheap swap...
I have, whilst I wait for the Black Inc barstem which I was told would have a 120 day waiting time..

How easy it is I can't say but I can say it's pretty ugly (running cables externally into an aero spacer). Unfortunately I don't have pictures and I'm away for a few days.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

m3bas

by m3bas

Thank you, would love some pics if you get a chance. Assume you need to run some spacers under the stem or can you squeeze them though?

Deda make a stem which routes internally which I thought would be a good option too.

robeambro

by robeambro

m3bas wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:48 am
Thank you, would love some pics if you get a chance. Assume you need to run some spacers under the stem or can you squeeze them though?

Deda make a stem which routes internally which I thought would be a good option too.
My LBS opted for an aero spacer plus one round spacer on top. I don't think it would be possible not to have any spacers.

parleez1

by parleez1

Hi, still looking for some additional feedback from anyone else owning an Ostro Gravel. How do you like the ride of the OG, is it comfortable, or harsh on gravel? Whats your longest ride on gravel, how did you feel afterwards? What width tires and pressure are you running?

Thanks,parleez1

parleez1

by parleez1

Come on, can't someone please post a review of their OG, wouldl like to get an unbiased review of the bike and your overall impressions.

Thanks!

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

parleez1 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:53 pm
Come on, can't someone please post a review of their OG, wouldl like to get an unbiased review of the bike and your overall impressions.

Thanks!
Too lazy to scroll back a few pages??

parleez1

by parleez1

I've read the entire thread, looking for some additional reviews, I didn't think that was an unreasonable request, sorry if I ruffled your feathers, it was not intended.

m3bas

by m3bas

Few rides on mine, including a World Series qualifier over 125km and 3200 vertical metres.
This bike is insane- amazingly confident on descents, climbs well, didn’t notice it being overly harsh but not much to compare to.
I’m stripping the mullet group set to build with 9200 and this will serve double duty as a road/ gravel bike.
Ridden on the road with gravel tyres it still felt fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Finally received the bike:
I usually don‘t try to hype up bikes too much, but this one is an absolute weapon.
It’s reasonably light (8kg dead with the Top Tube Bag, pedals etc.), definitely capable, and just feels aero AF. It’s really hot where I live right now, so the air is thin, and the ground is hard, optimal for going fast. But boy does it do its‘ part of the equation well.
In my Dura Ace config, 40c rear (measuring 42mm) is all I‘d recommend.
Also, the inner ring (34) is dangerously close to the chain stay. Factor has however installed a thin metal plate there, which definitely helps shield the carbon from the steel teeth.
The tires (Tufo Thundero 40) are lightning quick, but I have already punctured the rear tire after just 70k. It sealed with a dynaplug, but that’s not ideal, having me look for a new tire.
The Dura Ace works surprisingly well. I have not spared it, and chain slap has been okay, while shifting performance was what you‘d expect from Shi.
The new cockpit, that allows to attach the Hanzō extensions looks very much different from what Dylan Johnson was running, with it having these pretty ugly knobs. I have now just put black tape over them, which makes it bearable. The bar itself is great however. Really good control, and comy too.
Please excuse the shiddy bar tape job, my scissors were dull af.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

robeambro

by robeambro

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:28 pm
Finally received the bike:
I was wondering why was it taking so long, thought you'd changed your mind. :lol:

Waiting for obligatory pic of it in road mode with one of your road wheels & tyres. I like mine on gravel, but I have the most fun when it's on the road setup with AR56 rims and GP5K TL. I'm still waiting for the cockpit due to some miscommunication.. What width did you go for?

Personally I didn't like that Apidura bag, was not stable enough and a bit of a faff to put on and off. Hope your experience will be different!

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Delivery times of the handle bar were awful.
This is a 400/110. I wanted to go 380 at first, but I figured I can can use the added stability on gravel more than the added aeroness. I roll my hands in on the hoods, and can get pretty narrow that way.

Definitely cool for vacations to have 1 bike with 2 wheels. For riding at home not really. I have a lighter, more aero bike, with racier geo, so why bother 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I have used the Apidura many thousand Ks and never had an issue, but there are more stable bags.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

m3bas

by m3bas

Mine is finally getting built up with the 9200 this week, I'll post some pics in road and gravel mode.
I have a 52/36 so hoping it doesn't need to be spaced out too much, don't really want to run the 50/34 when it will be a road bike more than a gravel.

The white looks great BTW

m3bas

by m3bas

Also will have a 100/40 bar stem for sale if any interest. It is the new shape but not compatible with aero bars

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

m3bas wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:26 am
Mine is finally getting built up with the 9200 this week, I'll post some pics in road and gravel mode.
I have a 52/36 so hoping it doesn't need to be spaced out too much, don't really want to run the 50/34 when it will be a road bike more than a gravel.

The white looks great BTW
Yeah definitely will need some spacing out. My 50/34 with spacing as per Rotors specs has eaten into my paint already. Have now spaced it out another 2.5mm, which makes it fine now.

Here you can see the space with the added spacers and the scratched frame:
Image Image

The metal plate on the frame is not in the right place for 2x. Probably would work better for 1x with a 40 and up.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

A technical question. I'll soon get the right size seat Post finally (I got the 350 initially, because the bike shop got everything mixed up).
My current seat post is therefore fully extended. However, I can't keep it from creaking and more problematically, slipping. It moves precariously front to back after a while, and definitely slides into the frame.
I have used the official Black Inc paste, and pretty high torque, but it seems the bolt is loosening or something.
Does anyone have a fix for that?
I hope that more seatpost inside the frame at least limits lateral movement.
Interestingly enough, Gran Fondo Magazin just tested the bike and reported the same problem.

S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg