BMC Kaius

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Another road race bike with fat tyres hits the market:

https://bikerumor.com/bmc-kaius-01-mixe ... race-bike/
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Elmersen

by Elmersen

What's up with the super long reach? 397 mm on size 51. Combined with 90 or 100 mm stem, depending on model (and why is there a difference in stem lengt between models?). I get that long reach is established gravel geometry, but here it's not compensated for by using shorter stems. Effectiv reach is probably among the longest I've ever seen on a size 51/52, including pure road bikes.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

it's great for toe overlap.. or lack of. I would not have TO on this bike = nice. Well maybe if I ran 700x45
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Elmersen

by Elmersen

Sure, but why not spec some shorter stems on the smaller sizes?

robeambro

by robeambro

- Lack of colour options (personally, only the white one is appealing - only available on the top of the range model)
- Lack of frameset option (at least for now I can't see it mentioned anywhere)
- SRAM only?
- Lack of a lower-grade carbon option
- PF bottom bracket

None of the above is a dealbreaker in and as of itself, but still, a pity because there are many interesting aspects and concepts to this bike.

sigma

by sigma

Elmersen wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:37 pm
What's up with the super long reach? 397 mm on size 51. Combined with 90 or 100 mm stem, depending on model (and why is there a difference in stem lengt between models?). I get that long reach is established gravel geometry, but here it's not compensated for by using shorter stems. Effectiv reach is probably among the longest I've ever seen on a size 51/52, including pure road bikes.
Think they are starting to cater to the gravel racer sans aerobars crowd. Get long and low especailly for the less chunky races. Agree with you it's quite silly on the smaller sizes.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Yo 80mm of BB drop? Is that right? Is this a Flintstones bike?

Chlorophyll15

by Chlorophyll15

fizzaz wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:48 pm
Yo 80mm of BB drop? Is that right? Is this a Flintstones bike?
I'd understand the low BB on smaller bikes, since shorter riders generally also need shorter cranks, and hence pedal strike would be less of an issue, but 80mm of BB drop on the larger sizes is a bit strange.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

The 01 cockpit has a shorter stem which matches head tube angle and frame reach better. Strange that they would spec it different on the lower tier models.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Very funny that gravel bikes comes with all sorts of weird geometries and most race road bikes today are 562-568mm stack and 391-398mm of reach.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

satanas

by satanas

IMHO the 80mm drop is the best thing about the bike, with the integrated bars being the worst. None of the sizes would give me the correct reach to the controls, and changing everything would get expensive. The 36/42cm bars look okay, but no choice of stem length is not. :-(

tarmackev

by tarmackev

That's stunning but I shudder at the price.
I paid sub £3000 for my Supersix Evo CX and £300 for my Ryet ALI Express wheels, I dount there's much between the bikes. I am running a 10-40 cassette with 44 chainring to give it beans.

Back to the BMC, money no option I'd definitely consider it. There are some stunning gravel bikes coming out.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

The 80mm drop is excessive. I don't know that I fully ascribe to the new gravel geometry being entirely necessary. Most gravel events are just not that technical. What that much drop does is robs you of lots of versatility.

The rest of the geo kind of works for my weird physiology, but I don't see why they couldn't sharpen it up with a shorter rear-center. Other than that, the bike looks really good and more racey and less gravel-nerd.

sigma

by sigma

tarmackev wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:52 pm
That's stunning but I shudder at the price.
I paid sub £3000 for my Supersix Evo CX and £300 for my Ryet ALI Express wheels, I dount there's much between the bikes. I am running a 10-40 cassette with 44 chainring to give it beans.

Back to the BMC, money no option I'd definitely consider it. There are some stunning gravel bikes coming out.
Which other ones are you excited about? I agree with you on the price issue 100%. The Cannondale is a much better value proposition.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

robeambro wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:59 pm
- Lack of colour options (personally, only the white one is appealing - only available on the top of the range model)
- Lack of frameset option (at least for now I can't see it mentioned anywhere)
- SRAM only?
- Lack of a lower-grade carbon option
- PF bottom bracket

None of the above is a dealbreaker in and as of itself, but still, a pity because there are many interesting aspects and concepts to this bike.
I'm not against PF brackets as such, but I find it a weird choice that BMC went for their usual PF86 standard and combined that with SRAM offerings only, that come with a 30mm spindle. According to some (https://www.hambini.com/bb86-bottom-bra ... -crankset/) this is shall we say less than ideal. It certainly looks in all other aspects as a great N=1 bike, but while a PF bb would not be a deal breaker for me, a PF86 with SRAM might.