BMC Kaius

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jagged

by Jagged

robeambro wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:02 pm
Why are you considering this?
Fits a 52t, good clearance and racy geo. I'm tall but flexible enough to ride a "small" 58 and the Kaius has that sizing, not a lot of gravel bikes do. The rival axs build is pretty good value as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Greg0rE

by Greg0rE

I've test road a Kaius 01 One and an S-Works Crux recently and opted for the Kaius as it felt better. The Kaius should have been here yesterday before leaving for Hoogerheide but such are logistics these days. Can try and answer any weight and riding questions once I've had a chance to unpack and take it for a spin on Tuesday.

Minirac

by Minirac

Greg0rE wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:03 am
I've test road a Kaius 01 One and an S-Works Crux recently and opted for the Kaius as it felt better. The Kaius should have been here yesterday before leaving for Hoogerheide but such are logistics these days. Can try and answer any weight and riding questions once I've had a chance to unpack and take it for a spin on Tuesday.

Please give us more insight in to these two, how they compare..

Greg0rE

by Greg0rE

Well, I was finally planning to go for a first proper ride in the wild today but had to write off the Kaius with 0 miles on it thanks to overzealous baggage handlers. I used to be happy with EVOC bags, but after 12 years, it's time to switch to a different brand after two cracked seat stays in a row.

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

Does anyone knows what is the stack of the cockpit on the Kaius ?
simply blabla-ing

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

KarlGLS wrote:Does anyone knows what is the stack of the cockpit on the Kaius ?
I mean this measurement
simply blabla-ing

otnemem

by otnemem

Greg0rE wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:18 pm
Well, I was finally planning to go for a first proper ride in the wild today but had to write off the Kaius with 0 miles on it thanks to overzealous baggage handlers. I used to be happy with EVOC bags, but after 12 years, it's time to switch to a different brand after two cracked seat stays in a row.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/2fdXa ... JiuY=w2400
Oh man. I think I died a bit inside looking at that.

Greg0rE

by Greg0rE

Finally managed to take the Kaius out for a few rides around Mallorca after getting hold of a new Kaius (courtesy of Laka saving the day) and a new bike box (Buxumbox for defeating Berlin as the end boss of all luggage drama).

Speed: The aeroness of the bike plays out on straight bits of road and descents. I easily cruised past pedaling folks, even on straight bits of descent, without so much as moving the pedals. On the flats, this thing goes up to a certain point, which is:

Gearing: The 1x12 nature of the groupset inevitably limits the "pedability" of the bike, which in fairness, was somewhere around 55-60km/h depending on gradient and tailwind. No issues whatsoever on the climb, although some smaller gear changes would have likely been appreciated (although not begged for) up certain climbs

Looks: The bike looks and feels fast, with many folks looking at me incredulously when mentioning its a gravel rather than a road bike

Handling: This thing is nimble and aggressive, with any other handlebar feeling unnaturally wide when coming off the Kaius.

It's what I would call the "Eierlegendewollmilchsau" of bikes I have ridden so far.

Bike in pre-bike fit setup.

Buxum bike box (I do not even need to remove the handlebars / or if I do, there is a separate mount that allows for the transport of two wheelsets)

jadedaid

by jadedaid

Greg0rE wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:47 pm
... a new bike box (Buxumbox for defeating Berlin as the end boss of all luggage drama).
The buxumbox is the truth. Mine carries battle scars that no carbon frame would have survived. :beerchug:

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Does anyone know if the new aero one piece handlebar from the kaius is purchaseable separately? Woud love on a SLR01 temmachine. And did anyone succesfully purchase and mount one?

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

MrRolandos wrote:Does anyone know if the new aero one piece handlebar from the kaius is purchaseable separately? Woud love on a SLR01 temmachine. And did anyone succesfully purchase and mount one?

It is, available now in white
Black and red from this summer (euro market)
simply blabla-ing

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

I see! Would hope the full black one comes soon! Not a fan of the white cockpit.

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

MrRolandos wrote:I see! Would hope the full black one comes soon! Not a fan of the white cockpit.
June
Was not a fan but fitting was more important to my eyes
simply blabla-ing

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

KarlGLS wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:11 pm
MrRolandos wrote:Does anyone know if the new aero one piece handlebar from the kaius is purchaseable separately? Woud love on a SLR01 temmachine. And did anyone succesfully purchase and mount one?

It is, available now in white
Black and red from this summer (euro market)
What's the pricing on that? I love the white.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

€700
simply blabla-ing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com