New trek boone feedback

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jjones

by jjones

I ride the boone rsl as a all road bike. I love the geometry. I see the new one has a new cable routing system which looks better in person than the cable freak system. I dont like how the rear brake cable runs, the system looks much cleaner. Anyone have one? Any ideas on weight to order frame? Anyone weighed a frame, supposed to be a fair amount lighter, probably due to losing the front isospeed. Appreciate any other feedback, is it basically the same frame except new cable routing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pb85

by pb85

:welcome:
Hi, it is my first answer here although I follow this forum years..
I used to ride the last boone (2020/2021) model as cx racing/gravel/ alrroad bike as you switching just wheels/tyres. I love it.
I was very sceptical to change into new one, couldn't belive could be better.
I use the new one from april this year, it is awasome. The bigger diameter of tubes makes huge difference, I feel more stiffness ( I am 80kg). Totally different bb solved the problem of last model, I needed to replace bearings every 4-5 months. The head tube and fork Emonda style are very estetic and stiff too. I don't feel the lack of front iso speed, in my opinion the back one is more active as in previous model. But the biggest difference is a tyre clearence. 36 mm has a lot of space where it was a maximum for the old one. I believe 40-42 is not a problem.
Unfortunately I didn't check it on the scale because I was on a holiday when the frame arrived and was assambled.
At the moment with Force AXS, lot of heavy components my road setup ( 44t /10-33), Bontrager Aelous Rsl 51 it is about 7.7 kgcomplete bike.
Also painting is beautiful. It looks like project one but you get it for free;)
Excuse my english, it is really even not my 3rd language :smartass: but I hope to improove

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Your English is better than many English people.'
Good write up as well. ✌️

pb85

by pb85

tarmackev wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:50 am
Your English is better than many English people.'
Good write up as well. ✌️
Thank's a lot. As it is really my favourite bike I answet with pleasure. If someone support me I would add some pictures :noidea:

Spinlikemad

by Spinlikemad

Thank you pb85 for that review! I have a cantilever brake Boone (2016) and a disc Boone (2018...I think) and both are great bikes except for BB90, which is terrible! I am looking at getting the new Trek Boone (with the T47 BB...much better than BB90!). My only hesitation is that I am waiting to see the details of Cervelo's new cyclocross bike, which is supposed to be available this summer (at least the details, if not the actual bike!). I like how Trek is routing the cables on the new Boone and am thinking this might be better than fully internal cables. What is your opinion?

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Any idea when these damn things will be available? Doesn't look like any inventory before the season starts.

pb85

by pb85

Spinlikemad wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:38 pm
Thank you pb85 for that review! I have a cantilever brake Boone (2016) and a disc Boone (2018...I think) and both are great bikes except for BB90, which is terrible! I am looking at getting the new Trek Boone (with the T47 BB...much better than BB90!). My only hesitation is that I am waiting to see the details of Cervelo's new cyclocross bike, which is supposed to be available this summer (at least the details, if not the actual bike!). I like how Trek is routing the cables on the new Boone and am thinking this might be better than fully internal cables. What is your opinion?
Cable routing is great. Not so complicated, very quiet and "enough aero :beerchug: ". Aspecially using wireless axs you can not see to much, the look of the bike is very clean.
Regarding to Cervelo, I really like it and hope too see soon. I'm just curious about tyre clearence and comfort for every day use. For cx only I would take it 100%. The Isospeed makes so much job, I can not imagine riding without it. I do quite a lot "team gravel rides" and Boone thank's to that is really fast and extra comfy (or it's extra fast because it's comfy)

pb85

by pb85

fizzaz wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:34 pm
Any idea when these damn things will be available? Doesn't look like any inventory before the season starts.
I ordered mine September 21 as a black colour bike and got April 22 red colour frame. In my area Boones are available only in shops which placed an orders for few pieces. It is not possible at the moment to add some frame to the order.

goatalope

by goatalope

I'd love to see actual frame weight, too. Trek's website puts the weight in the same category as the Emonda SLR.

jjones

by jjones

I just ordered the black boone frameset today. Hoping for early october and I'll get weights.

pb85

by pb85

goatalope wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:46 pm
I'd love to see actual frame weight, too. Trek's website puts the weight in the same category as the Emonda SLR.
Not really...Emonda Slr is Oclv800 material, Boone is Oclv600 so based on Emonda experience is at least 150g weight difference plus Iso Speed. It is not a feather light frame (suppose Crux is lighter) but it's so comfortable I wouldn't change to any other frame.

pb85

by pb85

jjones wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:09 pm
I just ordered the black boone frameset today. Hoping for early october and I'll get weights.
:thumbup: :beerchug:

jjones

by jjones

Seems trek was a little optimistic with their weights. I just picked up my new 58cm frame and it is 1160 grams with only the der hanger and cage bolts. Looks nice but def disappointed in the weight given the marketing.

pb85

by pb85

I picked up Emonda SL size 58 this week, seems to be similar weight. Anyway, I belive you're going to be happy with this Boone frame as I am

jjones

by jjones

pb85 wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:19 am
I picked up Emonda SL size 58 this week, seems to be similar weight. Anyway, I belive you're going to be happy with this Boone frame as I am
I have a 2019 Boone RSL disc that is great - and I only got this new one due to marketing indicating the frame is 850 grams, however, I likely only noticed what I wanted to see since there is other marketing indicating the frame/fork for the 2022 is 15XX grams, which is what mine is. Therefore, I replaced a perfectly good boone for a very marginal gain, or in other words, I probably paid about 3,000 dollars to save about 100-200 grams for frame and fork - but I am excited about the new cable routing so that is a positive!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com