TREK STP 400, 2000’s frame turned into modern Gravel

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

cannot put into words how excited I am about this project! Haven’t had a bike project for the past 6 plus years, so I’m eager to have it started and keeping my mind excited about it for months to come!

Yeah…this is going to be a GRAVEL bike…a 2000 (I think) frame will show who is boss 22 years later! ImageImage

Lots to do, starting by stripping the original paint off and repainting it with some new color trends, it will have disc brakes, integrated seatpost, wireless shifting, 700c wheels (maybe), and much more!

What you see is from shipping arrival and immediate unpacking! ImageImageImage

I guess In early 2000’s this was considered ‘light’ Image, just the frame here, no bolts, BB, headset…before paint removal
Last edited by andreszucs on Thu May 12, 2022 4:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

I love the idea of this. Check those chainstays real good up by the BB. They liked to break.

boots2000

by boots2000

What is bb drop and what will bbe drop be with 700c wheels.
I had one of these back in the day. Loved the concept and the way it climbed- But... It had to be one of the worst handling bikes that I have ever ridden. Frnt end geometry was all off.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Fisherfreerider wrote:I love the idea of this. Check those chainstays real good up by the BB. They liked to break.
Yeah I might want to add some protection on the bottom to protect the carbon from big hits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

boots2000 wrote:What is bb drop and what will bbe drop be with 700c wheels.
I had one of these back in the day. Loved the concept and the way it climbed- But... It had to be one of the worst handling bikes that I have ever ridden. Frnt end geometry was all off.
Not sure about the BB drop number. After comparing the geometry with my 2011 Scott Spark 10, the front triangle is nearly identical, so I won’t feel much of a difference after frame change.

About handling, I’ll be using a DT Swiss EXC 150mm 26 fork (locking option at about 110mm, axle to crown reduced), best fork ever made in my opinion, it’s also only 1580g. Handling won’t be a problem, in fact, it will be better than any Gravel bike out there.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Some designing fun, still in progress. Will be bonded with epoxy onto bare Carbon, painted later on. Image

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Final version Image

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

From digital file to real life. Just putting in place, next is to make the M6 threads, bond with Epoxy and paint the frame over it.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

This is super interesting. No so sure it'll handle better than any gravel bike out there but its certainly cool and unique.
Can't wait to follow the progress and see the finished article.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

tarmackev wrote:This is super interesting. No so sure it'll handle better than any gravel bike out there but its certainly cool and unique.
Can't wait to follow the progress and see the finished article.
Going at turtle speed on this, on those little windows I have between what life brings to the table.

As soon as I have this disc brake working, I’ll start working on a paint scheme! I’m also having the idea to retrofit BB30 to this frame, might need more custom 3D printing work for that.

themidge

by themidge

Oh yeah, this is going to be extremely epic :mrgreen:
I've done the rather more pedestrian version of this with a 2001 GT Zaskar and a Surly Bridge Club fork, pretty heavy but it takes 650bx2.1" and the old mtb geometry is really nice with drop bars. Monster-cross is not dead!

tru1shot

by tru1shot

Any progress on this one andreszucs?

Also, and chance you'd share the Cad files for the rear brake mounts for a fellow STP butcher??

I have a Trek STP with a Look linkage fork that use for rough gravel/fire roads, currently V's but I'd love to throw a good disc wheelset on it since I have some sapre brakes hanging around, access to a Rennishaw metal printer, and it sounds fun!

Any concerns about flex in the rear triangle with the disc mount? Since the stays flex to provide the suspension, my worry is the brake forces causing the nds stays to flex and "twist" relative to the ds stays? Probably not noticable compared to hitting off camber rocks and such though.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

tru1shot wrote:Any progress on this one andreszucs?

Also, and chance you'd share the Cad files for the rear brake mounts for a fellow STP butcher??

I have a Trek STP with a Look linkage fork that use for rough gravel/fire roads, currently V's but I'd love to throw a good disc wheelset on it since I have some sapre brakes hanging around, access to a Rennishaw metal printer, and it sounds fun!

Any concerns about flex in the rear triangle with the disc mount? Since the stays flex to provide the suspension, my worry is the brake forces causing the nds stays to flex and "twist" relative to the ds stays? Probably not noticable compared to hitting off camber rocks and such though.
This is the current status, Image.
Honestly, during all this time I ended up changing directions, soon after I got this frame, another dream frame of mine showed up on eBay, a 2011 Scott Spark RC, so I could NOT let that one pass and draw my attention to it, the spark is also a size medium, better for my 5’10 height. This trek is a size Large. Me changing plans doesn’t mean I found my original idea to add Disk brake to the STP400 unfeasible, I still think it would be just fine, as for your concern about the flex on the frame, I’d like to think this thru together: the end of the carbon stays needs to be bonded to the rear axle lugs somehow, so it has to go over a section of alloy tube coming from the lugs and bonded with epoxy resin, the 3D part I did is sitting right on top of those alloy tubes, both the top piece and the bottom piece, also, the forces from braking are being distributed on both pieces at the same time, so is also minimizing excessive force on the stays, since the parts are sitting on top of the alloy components of the axle lugs, that means is not affecting any section of the carbon frame that flexes.

Yes is can put the files available for printing is you would like, also also might be selling this frame at some point because realistically, I am inventing the little time a have on some other designing projects. Image

jfranci3

by jfranci3

andreszucs wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:00 pm
From digital file to real life. Just putting in place, next is to make the M6 threads, bond with Epoxy and paint the frame over it.

Is that 3d printed metal? why didn't you clamp the chainstay too?

Im guessing that frame doesn't give a f*** about anti-squat?

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

jfranci3 wrote:
andreszucs wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:00 pm

Is that 3d printed metal? why didn't you clamp the chainstay too?
Yes, these days the company I use to print can also print in stainless steel! After bonding the part with epoxy resin, it would be a very solid base for the caliper, would not go anywhere, full clamp not necessary

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com