TREK STP 400, 2000’s frame turned into modern Gravel

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

tru1shot

by tru1shot

andreszucs wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:37 pm

This is the current status, Image.
Honestly, during all this time I ended up changing directions, soon after I got this frame, another dream frame of mine showed up on eBay, a 2011 Scott Spark RC, so I could NOT let that one pass and draw my attention to it, the spark is also a size medium, better for my 5’10 height. This trek is a size Large. Me changing plans doesn’t mean I found my original idea to add Disk brake to the STP400 unfeasible, I still think it would be just fine, as for your concern about the flex on the frame, I’d like to think this thru together: the end of the carbon stays needs to be bonded to the rear axle lugs somehow, so it has to go over a section of alloy tube coming from the lugs and bonded with epoxy resin, the 3D part I did is sitting right on top of those alloy tubes, both the top piece and the bottom piece, also, the forces from braking are being distributed on both pieces at the same time, so is also minimizing excessive force on the stays, since the parts are sitting on top of the alloy components of the axle lugs, that means is not affecting any section of the carbon frame that flexes.

Yes is can put the files available for printing is you would like, also also might be selling this frame at some point because realistically, I am inventing the little time a have on some other designing projects. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That totally makes sense, my STP was a project for about two years while i built up a Rigid Ti bike and modified an old giant to be a dad bike. Finally getting back to this one!
Yep that logic makes total sense- I wasn't sure how far into the carbon the aluminum would extend, but it makes that rear corner more or less rigid compared to the empty carbon tubes. Theres another STP with a rear disc that got posted to youtube recently, but the builder anchored to the dropout and rested the other mount along the seat stay only, so all that force would land mid stay. I guess some of the moment would be transferred through the dropout parts, and apparently he "stiffened" the carbon layup, but I think yours is the better solution by far! Looks cleaner too.

Yes if you dig up the files for printing, I'd love to give it a go- I have the weelset and brakes laying around to try with, and it's a good excuse to play with the metal printer... I may even splurge and do them in Titanium!

tru1shot

by tru1shot

Sorry, Duplicate!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com