New GRX this year?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

steveadore

by steveadore

tmrace wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 4:38 am
otnemem wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:46 pm
Still no sign of Di2 GRX, right?
There won't be a new di2 version of grx. Only 12 speed mechanical grx. Ultegra will be the new di2 grx with the reintroduction of the RX rear mech and then some gravel 2x and 1x specific chain rings.
Where did you get that information from? Is this 100% sure?

saba

by saba

tmrace wrote:
otnemem wrote:
There won't be a new di2 version of grx. Only 12 speed mechanical grx. Ultegra will be the new di2 grx with the reintroduction of the RX rear mech and then some gravel 2x and 1x specific chain rings.
This doesn't make sense since the 12-speed Di2 doesn't clear large tyres (40mm+) as is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maurice1

by maurice1

steveadore wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:29 pm
maurice1 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:06 pm
Sorry if this is not the most appropriate thread - Is it just me or does GRX (current) have a weird, different angle for cable and hose exit, compared to road shifters? Can't get them to sit flush along the bars at all. Very annoying
Do you have photos of that?

This is GRX 800. I checked R8000 and it exits to be flush against the bars. I think I'm using the proper electric tape but it keeps deforming, twisting and I cannot get it to sit against the bar at all. Frustrating.... I've redone it 4 times but I still don't feel ready for the bartape

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

steveadore wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:58 am
tmrace wrote:
otnemem wrote:
I’d call BS on this.

One of the criticisms of GRX was gearing range, so using an RX style mech would be pointless.

Current GRX 2X has an overall range of 478% comapred to Sram AXS Wide's 552%. GRX falls short on 1X as well with 381% compared to Sram's XPLR's 440% and Eagle's 500%.

Shimano's RX mech was a temporary band-aid while GRX was being developed. To recycle it now would be idiotic. Gravel riders are demanding more range, not less. An Ultegra RX mech would give a 481% range and not allow wider tyres to be run unless the stays were longer.

As for just subbing in new chainrings, how would that work? GRX does not work with regular front mechs due to the chainline. To allow 7100/8100/9100 mechs to be used Shimano would have to use existing pattern cranksets which have a 44.5mm chainline, limiting tyre clearance options. The other issue is chainrings would be limited in size to 34t minimum.

Finally, with their direct competition offering electronic across their range Shimano would be mad to launch only mechanical.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

tmrace wrote:
otnemem wrote:
LMAO!!!

RDY

by RDY

I wouldn't want to use 92xx / 81xx / 71xx style hoods offroad. Even if you have small hands, there's not much to hold on to.

Shimano are getting eaten alive in the electronic gravel segment by SRAM. If GRX82x Di2 doesn't launch at the same time as or before mechanical, it's because Shimano are having problems with it.

IMO the only reason to go 12s GRX Di2 is to get rid of some of the forest of wires and junctions. Otherwise it'll likely be a downgrade - I doubt shifting will be as good or range as flexible, as they have to fit in another cog.

steveadore

by steveadore

ultimobici wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:17 am
steveadore wrote:
tmrace wrote:
otnemem wrote:
I’d call BS on this.

One of the criticisms of GRX was gearing range, so using an RX style mech would be pointless.

Current GRX 2X has an overall range of 478% comapred to Sram AXS Wide's 552%. GRX falls short on 1X as well with 381% compared to Sram's XPLR's 440% and Eagle's 500%.

Shimano's RX mech was a temporary band-aid while GRX was being developed. To recycle it now would be idiotic. Gravel riders are demanding more range, not less. An Ultegra RX mech would give a 481% range and not allow wider tyres to be run unless the stays were longer.

As for just subbing in new chainrings, how would that work? GRX does not work with regular front mechs due to the chainline. To allow 7100/8100/9100 mechs to be used Shimano would have to use existing pattern cranksets which have a 44.5mm chainline, limiting tyre clearance options. The other issue is chainrings would be limited in size to 34t minimum.

Finally, with their direct competition offering electronic across their range Shimano would be mad to launch only mechanical.
Everything you have written makes sense. But I guess it could depend on the volume of GRX Di2 sales for 11 speed (I have no idea whether it has been a flop or not)

otnemem

by otnemem

maurice1 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:08 am
steveadore wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:29 pm
maurice1 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:06 pm
Sorry if this is not the most appropriate thread - Is it just me or does GRX (current) have a weird, different angle for cable and hose exit, compared to road shifters? Can't get them to sit flush along the bars at all. Very annoying
Do you have photos of that?
https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... /image.png
https://i.imgur.com/kEOvhQN.png

This is GRX 800. I checked R8000 and it exits to be flush against the bars. I think I'm using the proper electric tape but it keeps deforming, twisting and I cannot get it to sit against the bar at all. Frustrating.... I've redone it 4 times but I still don't feel ready for the bartape
Difficult to say, but it looks like you've got an outward angle on the hoods, which would exaggerate that gap.

RDY

by RDY

steveadore wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:27 am
ultimobici wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:17 am
steveadore wrote:
tmrace wrote:

I’d call BS on this.

Everything you have written makes sense. But I guess it could depend on the volume of GRX Di2 sales for 11 speed (I have no idea whether it has been a flop or not)
Aside from its flexibility in custom wider range 2x setups like I run, GRX Di2 is a pretty horrible choice for consumers and OEMs vs AXS. The latter is just so much easier, and doesn't have a load of wires, junction boxes and shit software.

otnemem

by otnemem

steveadore wrote:
Shimano knows best, but it could end up being a chicken and egg situation. Even if sales were low, was it because there wasn't a demand or was it because the product wasn't good enough (vs the competition)? Let's face it, as said above, GRX came out already lagging against SRAM and now even worse against EKAR. If it doesn't even offer the range and people don't buy it, why would people then spring for the electronic and much more expensive version?
If they come out with a well designed 2x12 Di2 groupset with appropriate range, with an Ultegra-level price, I'm pretty sure it'll sell.

steveadore

by steveadore

otnemem wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:36 am
steveadore wrote:
Shimano knows best, but it could end up being a chicken and egg situation. Even if sales were low, was it because there wasn't a demand or was it because the product wasn't good enough (vs the competition)? Let's face it, as said above, GRX came out already lagging against SRAM and now even worse against EKAR. If it doesn't even offer the range and people don't buy it, why would people then spring for the electronic and much more expensive version?
If they come out with a well designed 2x12 Di2 groupset with appropriate range, with an Ultegra-level price, I'm pretty sure it'll sell.
Not sure about inferiority compared to Ekar (read the litany of complaints about long-term reliability). And Shimano should definitely focus on the 2X niche, which I think is still a gold mine for the road-oriented gravel crowd. Let's hope it happens.
I'm fine with mechanical, btw, though frames such as the new Crux only take electronic FDs

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

saba wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:04 am
tmrace wrote:
otnemem wrote:
This doesn't make sense since the 12-speed Di2 doesn't clear large tyres (40mm+) as is.
In what sense do you mean? I don't understand. :noidea:
Am am running 12sp Di2 105 with 42mm tyres.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

maurice1

by maurice1

otnemem wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:31 am

Difficult to say, but it looks like you've got an outward angle on the hoods, which would exaggerate that gap.
I've tried angled inwards and outwards, won't change the angle, they still stick out a fair bit and the tape isn't strong enough to hold it in place. It just *f##k* up my fit
Spinnekop wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:41 am
In what sense do you mean? I don't understand. :noidea:
Am am running 12sp Di2 105 with 42mm tyres.
Shimano is always very conservative with their clearances, but do you think you could fit 45mm or even 50mm with the di2 FD?

otnemem

by otnemem

steveadore wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:40 am
Not sure about inferiority compared to Ekar (read the litany of complaints about long-term reliability). And Shimano should definitely focus on the 2X niche, which I think is still a gold mine for the road-oriented gravel crowd. Let's hope it happens.
I'm fine with mechanical, btw, though frames such as the new Crux only take electronic FDs
My bad for not being clear. I only meant spec-wise. I'm biased towards Shimano's reliability and precision, but I'm trying to have an outside-in look like someone who is just browsing without any previous bias. And in that sense I'd go SRAM or Campy for gravel/adventure. Easily.

They absolutely should lean into 2x12. And electronic offerings are a must have. Perception is probably half of the game and SRAM is killing it in that sense.

maurice1 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:42 am
otnemem wrote:

I've tried angled inwards and outwards, won't change the angle, they still stick out a fair bit and the tape isn't strong enough to hold it in place. It just *f##k* up my fit
Then maybe it's the handlebar angles? I've never seen that before tbh.
Last edited by otnemem on Mon May 08, 2023 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steveadore

by steveadore

maurice1 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:42 am
otnemem wrote:

Just to clarify, have you tried the R8020 shifters for comparison? Just want to make sure those work fine, and it's not the handlebar itself, as Otnemem has suggested. I'd really appreciate any input, as I was just going to order the RX810 shifters but have had second thoughts and was thinking of getting R8025 (Ultegra for smaller hands, which the GRX was originally based on allegedly)