New GRX this year?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

saba

by saba

maurice1 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:08 am
steveadore wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:29 pm
maurice1 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:06 pm
Sorry if this is not the most appropriate thread - Is it just me or does GRX (current) have a weird, different angle for cable and hose exit, compared to road shifters? Can't get them to sit flush along the bars at all. Very annoying
Do you have photos of that?

This is GRX 800. I checked R8000 and it exits to be flush against the bars. I think I'm using the proper electric tape but it keeps deforming, twisting and I cannot get it to sit against the bar at all. Frustrating.... I've redone it 4 times but I still don't feel ready for the bartape
Same for me. I angled my hoods in a tiny bit to help. When wrapped it gives a broader perch for palm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maurice1

by maurice1

steveadore wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 11:30 am
Just to clarify, have you tried the R8020 shifters for comparison? Just want to make sure those work fine, and it's not the handlebar itself, as Otnemem has suggested. I'd really appreciate any input, as I was just going to order the RX810 shifters but have had second thoughts and was thinking of getting R8025 (Ultegra for smaller hands, which the GRX was originally based on allegedly)
Not on these bars no. But I don't really see how this could be the bar's fault, the bar width is standard isn't it? There isn't any curve either besides the flare that dictates the clamp angle
saba wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 11:55 am
Same for me. I angled my hoods in a tiny bit to help. When wrapped it gives a broader perch for palm.
OK thanks a lot. I'll just wrap them like this then. Doesn't hurt much if I *f##k* it up because I paid 50 for stem+bars+tape.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Its perfectly normal, idk why you are making such a problem of it. Normally you can push the hose a bit closer to the bar and then wrap it tightly with electrical tape.

maurice1

by maurice1

the R8000 i was looking at exits at a tighter angle that allows it to be flush against the bar. i got electrical tape but it stretches over time, i can't wrap it too tight

voicycle

by voicycle

For difficult cable runs I’ve always secured the cables in place first with masking tape which doesn’t stretch. Works well as long as you manage to get enough layers on before the tension tears the tape - sometimes requires holding the cable in place first with a shoelace or zip tie or something else temporary.

Masking tape does take on moisture though so if you’re using a porous bar tape you might want to cover the masking tape with electrical tape to prevent it becoming a particularly foul smelling science experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

Use a piece of duct tape instead of masking tape or also tubeless tape. Masking tape won't hold a thing and it rots

otnemem

by otnemem

And get a bit of handlebar tape between the hose connection and the handlebar to fill some of that gap. Reduces the chance of it bending.