Juin Tech F1 with Sram 11 Speed Shifters Experience.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jimmypragmatic

by Jimmypragmatic

So I currently run the Juin Techs F1 having come from TRP's. They are certainly better than the TRP's but aren't anywhere near my Road Shimano Hydro's or even my mates BB7's with Shimano Mechanical Shifters. I am okay with the performance on gravel but any sort of technical cross style riding gets very difficult quickly. I run compressionless housing everywhere but the tight corners,DA cables, Shimano Pads and 160mm Rotors. All these little things have had an effect but not big.

My question is, has anyone else experienced running Juin Tech F1 with SRAM 11 speed (RED,FORCE, RIVAL 22). Is it time I get Juin Tech GT-F or am I digging a bigger hole in my wallet and should go full hydro? Does this pull ratio thing really exist?

:shock:

jch3n

by jch3n

I can't speak to the SRAM piece of the equation, but I can't imagine it's *that* different from Shimano. I'm on Shimano mechanical with F1s and Campy with GT-Fs on different bikes. Maybe not the best apples-to-apples comparison, but I've found the GT-F to have significantly more power and modulation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jimmypragmatic

by Jimmypragmatic

jch3n wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:51 pm
I can't speak to the SRAM piece of the equation, but I can't imagine it's *that* different from Shimano. I'm on Shimano mechanical with F1s and Campy with GT-Fs on different bikes. Maybe not the best apples-to-apples comparison, but I've found the GT-F to have significantly more power and modulation.
Would you say worth the price difference? :? or even upgrade

jch3n

by jch3n

Yes, definitely. I had the same doubts as you when building up my latest bike with the GT-Fs. I don't regret it one bit now after using them. They feel almost as good as hydros, seriously.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I use the GT's with Sram levers. They perform very well. For comparison my other disc bike has Shimano 9170. There is no question that the Shimano hydro gives more power with less effort at the lever. However the GT's with Sram levers have more than enough power to do the job - the difference in performance between the two systems, though significant, is not huge. The added power of the Shimano hydro is most apparent in the early bite, whereas the power comes on more gradually with the GT's.

IMO, you must have a smooth cable run with as few tight bends as possible to get a nice lever feel. This is simply not possible with some frames - should be hydro only in those cases. Cable choice can be a factor as well. I have had good success with Jagwire Pro. Some here swear by TRP cables. I have never liked Shimano cables for any application. The Dura Ace cables coated with that plastic shit are a damn nuisance.

I have used the F1's with Sram levers as well, and while also quite good, the GT's are a step up in braking performance. One thing to note: when the GT's heat up, the pistons are a little slow to retract until they cool off a bit - just like my Shimano hydros. :noidea:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

nickf

by nickf

Ran the F1's with SRAM Red for a long while. They provided plenty of stopping power. Changed the pads to Disco Brake's ceramic pro pads. Improved bite and overall power. Used the jagwire KEB-SL Compressionless housing.

crazy brit

by crazy brit

I currently run SRAM Red 10spd shifters with the Juin Tech F1s, Galfer rotors and Shimano resin pads on my gravel bike, excellent performers, to the point I have no intent to upgrade to hydro brakes. I have heard the supplied Juin Tech pads are not so good, YMMV.

takolino

by takolino

F1 with red levers get the job done for road. Less lever effort than rim but not as nice as my 9170. I have two bikes with red levers and juintech. One has F1 on ashima and the other is GT on galfer disks. Both are very good and little noticeable difference where I ride. Using jagwire slick cables with gentle bends.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

+1 on using SRAM Red road levers with the Juin GT series calipers.

I've used all models of Juin. Have to say that it's the pads that make ALL the difference in these brakes' performance.
Invest in a few different pad sets to find out what you prefer. Even try sintered pads, as long as you have steel rotors.

Marin

by Marin

F1 on Sram Red 11 here. Braking power is excellent even with coiled housing, not a big difference in modulation even - I recently moved the Juins between bikes.

Pads and discs make all the difference, I have wheels with Galfer superlight and others with Sram discs, and the Sram brake quite a bit better. Using superstar metallic pads, I can do stoppies.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Are there any other cables/ wires than the rather stiff spun metal wires?
Rim brake shifters and hydro calipers interest me, but as you guys say, the routing will probably make be a journey in to irritation.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:59 am
Are there any other cables/ wires than the rather stiff spun metal wires?
Rim brake shifters and hydro calipers interest me, but as you guys say, the routing will probably make be a journey in to irritation.
I wonder if the potential problems are somewhat overstated given that some bike manufacters ship fully integrated bikes with mechanical shifting, e.g. the Scott Addict.

Although not directly related to fitting Juin Techs, I've noticed that I seem to have more problems getting a low friction cable run to my rear brakes (not integrated) with stiff compressionless brake outers like Jagwire Elite than I do with traditional spiralled cable like the SRAM stuff.