Sram Rival AXS XPLR shifting Problem

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

sonic00

by sonic00

Hello,
I have a problem with my Rival AXS XPLR:
The shifting works fine in all gears except from the first to the second gear (from second to first no problem).
I allready tried different B-Gap settings.
Did anyone else have that issue and knows what to do?

mathias720

by mathias720

sonic00 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:16 pm
Hello,
The shifting works fine in all gears except from the first to the second gear (from second to first no problem).
Probaly need to check derralieur hanger if its 100% straight. its not always straight even from the factory.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

j_gantzer
in the industry

by j_gantzer

I'm having the exact same issue. Where you able to find a solution?

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Chalk me up to this list. I have a brand new Rival AXS XPLR set up and I can either get good shifting in the 11/10 or the 44/38, but not both at the same time. Derailleur hanger was a brand new replacement when I installed the group. Wheel is properly torqued.

Any suggestions from the group?
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

JMeinholdt wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:18 pm
Chalk me up to this list. I have a brand new Rival AXS XPLR set up and I can either get good shifting in the 11/10 or the 44/38, but not both at the same time. Derailleur hanger was a brand new replacement when I installed the group. Wheel is properly torqued.

Any suggestions from the group?
FYI, I got this resolved. It was an issue with my new derailleur hangar. Wasn't quite straight. Swapped the old one back on and shifting was perfect.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Always check the hanger first.
Even if it's brand new/freshly fitted.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

A few things....
1) Chainline. What bike/crank/rings are you using? What spacers/seals do you have between the BB and crank? When in doubt, space it outward.
2) Rear hub.... is the freehub sitting on the axle spacer right? sometimes the freehub doesn't sit all the way into the mechanisim because it's not on all the way. Check the end caps too.
3) Freehub - are you using a XD or XDR?

JuankarMTB

by JuankarMTB

sonic00 wrote:Hello,
Hi @sonic00,

I bought a new Sram Rival AXS Xplr groupset (1x) and after installing and adjusting everything it is impossible to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Everything else works fine (even shifting from second gear to first gear).

I have to click twice to switch to the third gear and then click again to switch to the second one. This is annoying. Image

Did you solve the problem? Please let me know if you figured out how to solve it.

Thanks in advance.

Enviado desde mi MI 8 mediante Tapatalk

sonic00

by sonic00

Hi Juankar,
no I haven't been able to solve the problem. I changed to GRX Di2 - works fine.
Regards

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Shifting issues (especially with electronic components) will usually come down to three things: a misaligned derailleur hanger, improper chainline geometry, or a stretched (or short) chain. 12-speed drivetrains are very susceptible to the most minute alignment issues, which many alignment tools just can't fix (I recently had this issue with a friend's bike, I attempted to repair) and shifting issues tend to demonstrate themselves at the extremes of the cassette. My recommendation is to get a very good RD hanger tool (Abbey Bike Tools makes a highly rated one), or, if you already have one (like I have a Park Tools unit), make sure it is in proper shape (I had to retighten a screw that had come loose, which was affecting my ability to align my hangers). Also, make sure your chain is properly maintained. If it hits .05 stretch, it's time to throw it out and get a fresh one. Measure often, especially if you start noticing worsening shifting, without any actual changes.

Styret

by Styret

Same problem for me with force xplr rd and 10-44 cassette, 1>2 gear fail. Checked everything.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

It's the chainline. Space the chainring out further

TwistedWheels

by TwistedWheels

Has anyone being able to resolve this problem. I have the same issue on my sram red xplr. It doesn't shift from 1 to 2 gear - to be clear it just doesn't move at all! If I click again in makes a double jump and then shifts properly everywhere else.

Think it's a software problem.

sonic00

by sonic00

In my case it's been the derailleur hanger - had to adjust it and now it works fine

izy

by izy

no issues here with my rival xplr

only thing i did was adjust the microshifting in the 18-20 range so when i downshift the 1st to 2nd it doesnt catch

have your tried adjusting it, much faster to do it in app

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com