2022 Giant Revolt Advanced

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I also read that some people had issues with tire clearance on the Advanced 3 because of the Tiagra FD. Is that something to worry about. I'm gonna run 45 but you never know, I might want wider at some point.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andy13

by Andy13

I just picked up a Revolt Advanced Pro XS frame for my wife. I'm not happy with the weight, which is probably entirely my fault after looking through this post. I partly based my decision on a Cyclingnews Review 11/04/2021 stating the claimed weight of 980g for the frame and 370g for the fork. Removing all of the frame hardware, including the flip-chips, the frame weighs 1092g, fork weighs 451g. It looks like the frame weight is in the ballpark. The fork seems heavier than it should and I'm thinking it's the Advanced model instead of the lighter Pro. I'm pretty sure the difference could be chalked up to heavier paint when we're talking 25-50g, but looking at larger frames with what I would assume are longer steerers weighing 425g.... I guess my only beef is I paid for the Advanced Pro and think I got the Advanced. The sticker on the seat tube says XS 0. I'm thinking this means it's an Advanced 0 frameset, not a PRO as I've seen on some bikes. It's also the Hematite color which wasn't available as a PRO frame. Any thoughts?

Broady

by Broady

Very happy with my Revolt, as far as a first gravel bike goes it ticks my boxes. I might get rid of the dropper as it doesn't seem too useful currently, easy 400g saved too.

Andy13

by Andy13

To reply to my own post. Giant sent the wrong frameset. They were very accomodating and we got the Revolt Advanced Pro in an XS shipped out very quickly. We were lucky considering the lack of availability of these, especially frame/fork only.
Can anyone give me the correct chainline and/or offset for a single front chainring, as well as maximum size front chainring for this frame?
Thanks in advance.

Broady

by Broady

Regarding Chainring size, mine came with a 40, I think you'd struggle to go any bigger.

stoney

by stoney

Broady wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:32 pm
Regarding Chainring size, mine came with a 40, I think you'd struggle to go any bigger.
Do you mean the Revolt will not fit a 46 tooth single chainring for fast road group rides?

Broady

by Broady

stoney wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:10 am
Broady wrote:
Do you mean the Revolt will not fit a 46 tooth single chainring for fast road group rides?
My 40t (Rival AXS) is quite close to the chainstay as is, I dont have the bike with me currently but you can kida see on this picture how tight it is.

https://cdn.thewoodscyclery.co.uk/wp-co ... scaled.jpg

HBike

by HBike

stoney wrote:
Broady wrote:
With a Sram wide crankset it could work.

Lell87

by Lell87

HBike wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:30 pm
stoney wrote:
Broady wrote:
With a Sram wide crankset it could work.
I just don't see anyway a 46T works. A 40T on a regular DUB crank hits the chainstay and a 40T on a DUB Wide crank has very little clearance.

Lurker123

by Lurker123

Where there's a will, there's a way. I've got a 50 tooth 1x chainring on my revolt. It took a 3mm offset ring (standard is 6mm), and shimming my crankset 1mm outboard on the drive side (requiring a 2mm pedal spacer on the non drive side, which resolved some heal rub on the crank). Shifts great and optimized my chain line for the cogs I spend 90% of my rides in. I started with a 46 tooth ring but after a few weeks using the AXS app to monitor time in each cog determined I could spend a lot more time in the efficient cogs (less time in the 10 tooth) with a 50 tooth ring. Looks like overkill but now 95% of my riding is in the 12-42 cogs. I can't figure out how to post pictures here but have several of the various drivetrain setups and the chainring to chainstay clearance with the 50 tooth if interested

RDY

by RDY

This seems to have passed under the radar, but the Liv Devote '24 was launched in September. Geo is way more progressive than the outgoing model or Revolt, it also has downtube storage and semi-integrated cabling. I'm assuming this will be the 2025 Revolt with an early launch.

As this is round 1 1/8th steerer presumably unlike the new Propel and Defy, we'll be able to use third party stems / cockpits / headsets and retain integrated or semi-integrated cabling with relative ease.

https://off.road.cc/content/news/2024-l ... rage-13535

IMO it looks better than anything else on the market, assuming my assumption about the headset is true. Though it would have been nice to see them go 1° slacker on the HT.

RDY

by RDY

RDY wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:56 am
This seems to have passed under the radar, but the Liv Devote '24 was launched in September. Geo is way more progressive than the outgoing model or Revolt, it also has downtube storage and semi-integrated cabling. I'm assuming this will be the 2025 Revolt with an early launch.

As this is round 1 1/8th steerer presumably unlike the new Propel and Defy, we'll be able to use third party stems / cockpits / headsets and retain integrated or semi-integrated cabling with relative ease.

https://off.road.cc/content/news/2024-l ... rage-13535

IMO it looks better than anything else on the market, assuming my assumption about the headset is true. Though it would have been nice to see them go 1° slacker on the HT.
So does anyone with Giant connections have any idea when the Revolt version is likely to be out? Hopefully not another 9 months.

Volsung

by Volsung

My guy at a Giant dealer store said they dropped the price on the current model partially because they have so many. Doesn't bode well for slapping new paint on a Liv and selling it to taller consumers.

RDY

by RDY

Volsung wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:07 pm
My guy at a Giant dealer store said they dropped the price on the current model partially because they have so many. Doesn't bode well for slapping new paint on a Liv and selling it to taller consumers.
Sales drying up makes the revision more inevitable than less likely. I don't think making the revised Revolt less progressive geo than the earlier model proved very popular in the end. Hence the big volte face on the new Devote. But yeah, probably that's why they lead with the Devote if there's a load of stock in the channel for the Revolt. There's practically nothing left of the old Devote.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MartinT

by MartinT

I have just picked up a 2023 Revolt advanced 1 on sale. It has a 40t chainring (11-42 cassette) which is a bit on the small side for the mix of road and flattish gravel I'll be doing around here. I am in a bit of a kafuffle on how to proceed. I am thinking of going with a 44t chainring (it is an 8-bolt direct mount) e.g.:

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/sra ... dor_search

Will that work? It looks like it might be tight on the chain-stays which corresponds to some of the discussions earlier in the thread. If so, is it simply a case of putting in a 30mm diameter (2.5mm?) spacer between the crank and axle? Will that lead to other problems? e.g. will I need to add links to the chain?

They don't 'alf make it complicated!
Thanks