Nextie 40mm wide gravelrim! NXT45AGX

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

RDY wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:39 pm
Pyotrump wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:17 am
anyway they are now offering carbo spoke, carbon hub building option for their custom built wheels.

https://www.nextie.com/road-full-carbon-wheelset

i asked about agx40 rims can be built with them and they said yes.

it is 21/21spokes and really similar design of cadex new gravel wheelset

any thoughts about this?
The hubs look more basic. I can't remember what the spokes are ... are those the ones that have repeatedly failed lately (Ascent Polaris etc) or are they of the type WinSpace / Speeder and ELITE are using?

Either way, don't do carbon spoke offroad ... it's asking for trouble.

If you want carbon 'spokes' on a gravel wheelset, you'd be better off trying ELITE's DRIVE SIX (gravel version). Theoretically it ought to be tougher and safer than steel spokes, rather than vastly less safe (carbon spokes). Also, obviously, more aero.
I think they use the same noodles like Elite and Winspace. I have no concrete info but quite sure that they share the same provider. Maybe a nameless factory in south chinese city?

RDY

by RDY

Thinking about building up a new gravel wheelset with a 45AGX front and 49ARX rear. Front for smoother rim / tire interface on 38-44mm tires - not so much for watt saving, but stability in the wind. Rear the lighter, narrower and slightly deeper rim as 31 is wide enough for the rear as it won't effect stability much.

Alternative would be Light Bicycle WR50 front (flyweight) and rear (normal).

Going on quoted weights, it's a tossup - LB option 10g lighter.

On some of the more exposed flat gravel routes I do, gusty cross and diagonal headwinds can be killer, and quite dangerous at speed. I love the Speeder 45mm FW that I have, but at 28mm external width, the wind just has way too much tire 'muffin top' to grab hold of in these conditions.

Obviously the Nextie AGX front wheel wheel option at 40mm external is going to get pushed and pulled around less than the LB WR at 32.4mm external. But I do have slight concerns about having such a wide rim on the looser, rockier descents I do (where wind is a non-factor in the mountains). I run tire inserts, so am not worried about damage to the rim through the tire, in the case of pinching / flats. But are rock strikes a legit concern for the edge of the rim, being so wide on the AGX?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emotive

by emotive

I have a 39mm WAM front tyre (Bon Jon Pass Extralinght) on the front AGX45, and 41mm WAM (Barlow Pass Extralight) on the rear. Rock strikes to the rim are a concern for me. Often I ride a familiar course where I know the gravel is fairly tame, and I use this wheelset. This setup is fine for small to medium rocks.

If I am riding a course where the rocks are large, or I dont know the course, I use my older wheelset with 28mm wide wheels and 42mm wide tyres, or my 650B wheels with 52mm tyres.

If you are riding somewhere with larger rocks, I would recommend tyres with 42 to 45mm WAM on your AGX45.

RDY

by RDY

Ended up ordering 45AGX front and 49ARX rear. Will get them laced to CarbonTi with Alpina Hyperlite spokes.

Will be very interested to see how the front wheel performs in strong side and gusty headwinds - particularly on loose surfaces.

David12345

by David12345

I'm hoping Continental makes a 35mm GP5000 in the future, on this wheelset that would probably be the perfect combo for ultimate speed in most real world scenarios. What are the fastest 35mm road tires currently anyway, Rene Herse and Gravelking Slicks I would assume?

Miller

by Miller

You can get schwalbe pro one in 34mm, I love mine.

emotive

by emotive

David12345 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:42 pm
I'm hoping Continental makes a 35mm GP5000 in the future, on this wheelset that would probably be the perfect combo for ultimate speed in most real world scenarios. What are the fastest 35mm road tires currently anyway, Rene Herse and Gravelking Slicks I would assume?
The Continental Grand Prix Urban 35mm tested 2W faster 19.7W @45psi than the Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass Standard casing 21.8W @45psi. I expect the Bon Jon Pass with the Extra Light casing would test similarly to the GP Urban, based on the Rene Herse casing comparison test where the EL casing on the Snoqualmie Pass was 2.7W faster than the standard casing at 42psi.

The 28mm Corse N.EXT are fast rolling, only 12.1W at 54psi so I expect the 34mm N.EXT would also be fast rolling, assuming the construction is the same. BRR has not tested RR yet to confirm they are similarly fast.

The options are all within a couple of watts, so for me it came down to what measured width I wanted to run. Or, thinking of it another way, how close do you want to be to the rule of 105%, and is the aero gain more important than the risk of rim strikes with increased rim edge exposed?

These are my width calculations when mounted on the AGX45:

Continental GP5000 TR 32mm, 36mm WAM from Silca measurement on 3T 45|40
Schwalbe Pro One 34mm, 36.2mm WAM calculation based on 35mm WAM on 25mm rim from earlier in this thread.
Corsa N.EXT 34mm, 36.2mm WAM calculation based on 35mm WAM on 25mm rim (riding Gravel forum)
Continental GP Urban 25mm, 36.6mm WAM calculation based on BRR WAM on 17.8mm rim
Strada Bianca Pro HTLR 36mm, WAM 38.5mm calculated from Challenge WAM on 22mm rim.
Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass EL, WAM 39.5mm from my measurement on AGX45.

David12345

by David12345

emotive wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:33 am
David12345 wrote:
The Continental Grand Prix Urban 35mm tested 2W faster 19.7W @45psi than the Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass Standard casing 21.8W @45psi. I expect the Bon Jon Pass with the Extra Light casing would test similarly to the GP Urban, based on the Rene Herse casing comparison test where the EL casing on the Snoqualmie Pass was 2.7W faster than the standard casing at 42psi.

The 28mm Corse N.EXT are fast rolling, only 12.1W at 54psi so I expect the 34mm N.EXT would also be fast rolling, assuming the construction is the same. BRR has not tested RR yet to confirm they are similarly fast.

The options are all within a couple of watts, so for me it came down to what measured width I wanted to run. Or, thinking of it another way, how close do you want to be to the rule of 105%, and is the aero gain more important than the risk of rim strikes with increased rim edge exposed?

Schwalbe Pro One 34mm, 36.2mm WAM calculation based on 35mm WAM on 25mm rim from earlier in this thread.
Corsa N.EXT 34mm, 36.2mm WAM calculation based on 35mm WAM on 25mm rim (riding Gravel forum)
Continental GP Urban 25mm, 36.6mm WAM calculation based on BRR WAM on 17.8mm rim
Strada Bianca Pro HTLR 36mm, WAM 38.5mm calculated from Challenge WAM on 22mm rim.
Thanks for the detailed reply, that's exactly what I was looking for. As far as width I'm not completely sure, with such wide wheels it'd be kind of a waste to not do at least a little bit of gravel riding, so I imagine following the 105 rule wouldn't be a good idea in that situation. Perhaps matching the tire width to the rim width would be the best compromise between rim protection and crosswind stability?

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

emotive wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:33 am
David12345 wrote:

The gp5000 urban were tested with a generic tube so should be a bit quicker with a TPU.

I picked up a pair and they've really exceeded my expectations for speed and wet weather grip.
They're much nicer than a gravel king slick - tubeless for ride feel, speed and puncture protection.

Shame they don't do a tubeless version.

sunfire2k5

by sunfire2k5

David12345 wrote:
Iam 99% sure that Schwalbe will release at 38mm Pro One.... ;)
FOIL 20 w/DA 9270 + ENVE 60/67 2023 wheels - GP 5000TR S 28MM
Ridley GRIFN, 105 Di2 12s + Nextie AGX45 (40mm wide) aerogravel wheels - Terra Speed 45mm

emotive

by emotive

David12345 wrote:…with such wide wheels it'd be kind of a waste to not do at least a little bit of gravel riding, so I imagine following the 105 rule wouldn't be a good idea in that situation. Perhaps matching the tire width to the rim width would be the best compromise between rim protection and crosswind stability?
That was my reasoning in going with the BJP.

A few others to consider that have a WAM that matxhes closely to the rim are

Challenge Strada Bianca Pro HTLR 36, WAM calculation 39.7mm
Pirelli Cinturato H 35, WAM Calculation 40mm
Continental Terra Speed TR 38, WAM calculation 40
Tufo Speedero 36, WAM calculation 41.2mm
Continental Contact Urban 40, WAM calculation 42.1mm
Tufo Thumdero 40, WAM Calculation 42.8mm
Rene Herse Barlow Pass 38, measured at 42.5mm

If anyone is running other tyres on the AGX45 wheels, please share your Width as Measured.

RDY

by RDY

Tufo Thundero 40 was 43mm WAM on the AGX45 at 60psi. Not sure what it'll be at the 30psi I intend to run it at.

For reference it's 41.5mm on the narrower ARX49 rear.

rulefive

by rulefive

Who has been running tires narrower than the width of their AGX45 rims and been happy with the handling?

I've been running the Challenge Strada Bianca Pro HTLR 36 for a couple months, predominantly on the road. WAM is approximately 40mm. They feel lovely in a straightline and dreadful in the corners. The sensation when cornering is hard to describe, other than to say that it feels like the sidewall collapses somewhat and the tyre is unstable. At lower pressure 30-40psi, this is particularly pronounced. They are usable at 50psi, but not great.

Looking to move to the Tufo Speedero and not sure whether to try the 36 or go straight to the 40. Ideally I'd like to go with the 36 pending what the experience of others have been.

RDY

by RDY

Why would you run tires that narrow on such a wide rim? Also, just go for the Thundero ... both tests and anecdotal evidence suggests the Speedero isn't faster on tarmac or hardpack, and just punctures more easily whilst being marginally lighter.

Get the Thundero 40 and don't look back.

On a further note, the front wheel is massively more stable in gusty side and headwinds. It was exhausting and sometimes dangerous trying to keep the front wheel tracking straight with the old 45mm deep 21/28mm Speeder rim.

At least on the front wheel, I'm convinced wide is the way to go for gravel, now, if you're exposed to serious wind.

Also the 45AGX front and 49ARX rear wheelset came in at just under 1350g.

rulefive

by rulefive

My AGX45 wheelset is used for road and fast gravel. My opinion is that this is the primary use case for this style of rim - to provide stability and an aero friendly profile when using wider tyres.

My preference for running a 36mm tyre is that on the AGX45 it will end up measuring about 40mm which lines up nicely with the rim. Going to the 40mm tire is likely to negate at least some of the benefit of running the AGX45 as the tyre will end up a lot wider than the rim.

Also note that the Speedero should be faster than the Thundero because the knobs are lower profile and more aero, something that BRR et all don't test for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com