Nextie 40mm wide gravelrim! NXT45AGX

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cattiy

by Cattiy

My NXT45AGX wheelset has arrived. The Bontrager GR1 Team Issue tyres (40 mm) blew up to 43 mm.

I fear that I will loss some aero advantages. That was my main point in going this wide with the rim and pay extra cash for the Nextie rim compared to other "normal" 32 mm wide rims.

Will I get the same "suspension" from a 35 mm tyre that blews up to maybe 38 mm compared to a regular 38 mm wide tyre that is true to size a rim with lower inner rim width?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emotive

by emotive

Cattiy wrote:My NXT45AGX wheelset has arrived. The Bontrager GR1 Team Issue tyres (40 mm) blew up to 43 mm.

I fear that I will loss some aero advantages. That was my main point in going this wide with the rim and pay extra cash for the Nextie rim compared to other "normal" 32 mm wide rims.

Will I get the same "suspension" from a 35 mm tyre that blews up to maybe 38 mm compared to a regular 38 mm wide tyre that is true to size a rim with lower inner rim width?
The air volume comes from the measured width of the tyre. If the measured width is 38mm on either a 32mm rim or a 40mm rim, the air volume and suspension is the same.

Elmersen

by Elmersen

Any concerns using 32-40 mm tyres on ultrawide rims like these, either hookless or not? Seems like no tyre manufacturer would approve of it. Strange how f.ex Schwalbe approves of 28c tyres on 25 id, but not 35c tyres on 26 id or more.

emotive

by emotive

Elmersen wrote:Any concerns using 32-40 mm tyres on ultrawide rims like these, either hookless or not? Seems like no tyre manufacturer would approve of it. Strange how f.ex Schwalbe approves of 28c tyres on 25 id, but not 35c tyres on 26 id or more.
A 32mm tyre on a 29id rim is a similar ratio to a 28mm tyre on a 25id rim, I don’t see a safety issue. It will take a couple of years for tyre companies to adapt to the presence of 29id rims. Look how long it took for them to release charts that go beyond a 17id rim.

Elmersen

by Elmersen

Yeah, that makes sense and you are probably right. However, I'm not sure I would feel 100 % confident when a tyre/wheel combo has not been specifically tested and is outside the manufacturers general recommendations. Some manufacturers even explicitly warnes against it. Narrower road tyres have lately been adapted to wider wheels (with a relatively wider tread) due to aero concerns. It's not granted that the same development has been done to larger (gravel) tyres.

Would a hook make it safer to go superwide on the rims?

emotive

by emotive

Elmersen wrote:Yeah, that makes sense and you are probably right. However, I'm not sure I would feel 100 % confident when a tyre/wheel combo has not been specifically tested and is outside the manufacturers general recommendations.
Pretty much any wheel tyre combo that observes the 105% rule is outside manufacturers recommendations. I’ve been running 28’s on 25id wheels for a year. 29id wheels are much newer but they will be my next wheelset. I see people have been running these rims and the 3T version for 6+ months and if there were issues we would be reading about it on this very forum by now. Having said that, most are running 35-40mm tyres, not 32mm.
Some manufacturers even explicitly warnes against it. Narrower road tyres have lately been adapted to wider wheels (with a relatively wider tread) due to aero concerns. It's not granted that the same development has been done to larger (gravel) tyres.
Road and gravel tyres pretty much have the same construction. Look at Panaracer Gravelkings or Rene Herse which are available in every increment beteween 26mm and 55mm.
Would a hook make it safer to go superwide on the rims?
yes, until the the rim/tyre interface standard is set, a hook adds a margin of safety. Being familiar with a range of tyres, recognizing a loose fit, and choosing not to use that tyre rim combination also adds a margin of safety. Thats what we have until we have an interface standard.

Elmersen

by Elmersen

emotive wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:35 pm
Pretty much any wheel tyre combo that observes the 105% rule is outside manufacturers recommendations. I’ve been running 28’s on 25id wheels for a year. 29id wheels are much newer but they will be my next wheelset. I see people have been running these rims and the 3T version for 6+ months and if there were issues we would be reading about it on this very forum by now. Having said that, most are running 35-40mm tyres, not 32mm.
28c on 25 id is actually within the recommendations from several manufacturers. But there seems to be little info on even wider rims. I'd like to hear the reasoning behind Schwalbes updated recommendation that says OK to 28c on 25 id, but requires a 42 mm tyre for 26 id. One should think it was a linear relation.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse

sunfire2k5

by sunfire2k5

Elmersen wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:12 pm
Any concerns using 32-40 mm tyres on ultrawide rims like these, either hookless or not? Seems like no tyre manufacturer would approve of it. Strange how f.ex Schwalbe approves of 28c tyres on 25 id, but not 35c tyres on 26 id or more.
Hi,

I have been involved with 6x nextie wheelsets and have run them with 32mm PRO one to 45mm panaracer. No issues with 32,35 og 38mm tires from Schwalbe or panaracer. Just works.

Very good allround wheelset and its now on my Kanzo Fast with Terra Speed 40mm. Like i Said before the 32mm TLE pro one came in at 36mm on these rims. Used that in the spring last year on tarmac.
FOIL 20 w/DA 9270 + ENVE 60/67 2023 wheels - GP 5000TR S 28MM
Ridley GRIFN, 105 Di2 12s + Nextie AGX45 (40mm wide) aerogravel wheels - Terra Speed 45mm

emotive

by emotive

sunfire2k5 wrote:
Elmersen wrote:
Hi,

I have been involved with 6x nextie wheelsets and have run them with 32mm PRO one to 45mm panaracer. No issues with 32,35 og 38mm tires from Schwalbe or panaracer. Just works.

Very good allround wheelset and its now on my Kanzo Fast with Terra Speed 40mm. Like i Said before the 32mm TLE pro one came in at 36mm on these rims. Used that in the spring last year on tarmac.
Can you please share the models of tyres tested and the measured widths when mounted?

Cattie

by Cattie

Cattiy wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:48 pm
My NXT45AGX wheelset has arrived. The Bontrager GR1 Team Issue tyres (40 mm) blew up to 43 mm.

Will I get the same "suspension" from a 35 mm tyre that blews up to maybe 38 mm compared to a regular 38 mm wide tyre that is true to size a rim with lower inner rim width? L
Quoting myself ;)

Conti TerraSpeed 35 mm are 37 mm wide. Conti TerraSpeed 38-622 are 40 mm wide.

TerraSpeed 35 would be perfect for the 105% rule but it was very hard to mount and even harder to dismount.
The TerraSpeed 622-38 is much easier to mount and the transparent colour looks much nicer than the yellow letters on the black 35 mm TerraSpeed.
F*** the 105% rule :D

sunfire2k5

by sunfire2k5

emotive wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:53 pm
sunfire2k5 wrote:
Elmersen wrote:
Hi,

Can you please share the models of tyres tested and the measured widths when mounted?
Schwalbe g one racing 45mm was 47mm
Pro one 32 tle 32mm measured 36mm
Panaracer 35 got almost 40mm
Panaracer semi slicks 43 was 46mm
Terra Speed 40 havent measured yet.
Ridley GRIFN, 105 Di2 12s + Nextie AGX45 (40mm wide) aerogravel wheels - Terra Speed 45mm

emotive

by emotive

Thanks for the measurements @Cattie and @sunfire2k5

For these wheels the ride handling is more important to me than the 105% rule. 100% will look good and still not catch the sidewinds.

How did you find the cornering on the Pro one 32mm @sunfire25k, did you have sidewall wear from cornering?

I placed my order for this wheelset, with the new FCM finish, and am now deciding on tyres. I have another wheelset with Pathfinder 42mm tyres for 50% to 100% gravel. I will set the AGX45 whelset up for allroad routes with 5% to 50% light gravel so I am wanting to choose a low tread tyre which measures 38mm to 40mm on this wheelset. Perhaps the Gravelking 35mm slick, or the new Pro One 34mm.

With the arrival of spring are there any other AGX45 owners with tyre mounting measurements and ride feedback?

sunfire2k5

by sunfire2k5

emotive wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 9:00 am
Thanks for the measurements @Cattie and @sunfire2k5

For these wheels the ride handling is more important to me than the 105% rule. 100% will look good and still not catch the sidewinds.

How did you find the cornering on the Pro one 32mm @sunfire25k, did you have sidewall wear from cornering?

I placed my order for this wheelset, with the new FCM finish, and am now deciding on tyres. I have another wheelset with Pathfinder 42mm tyres for 50% to 100% gravel. I will set the AGX45 whelset up for allroad routes with 5% to 50% light gravel so I am wanting to choose a low tread tyre which measures 38mm to 40mm on this wheelset. Perhaps the Gravelking 35mm slick, or the new Pro One 34mm.

With the arrival of spring are there any other AGX45 owners with tyre mounting measurements and ride feedback?
Hi!

I did not do more then 3-4 rides before I started using my Noah Fast so cannot give any feedback on that. 34mm Pro One should "blow" up to 37-38mm width. then we are talking light gravel and tarmac wheelset that is fast... Got me interested actually. One of my routes is 50/50 tarmac and gravel. Could be cool to test 34mm slicks.

emotive

by emotive

sunfire2k5 wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 6:25 pm
34mm Pro One should "blow" up to 37-38mm width. then we are talking light gravel and tarmac wheelset that is fast... Got me interested actually. One of my routes is 50/50 tarmac and gravel. Could be cool to test 34mm slicks.
BRR Tested the 34mm Pro-One this week. Unfortunately, they only measure 0.7mm larger than 32mm Pro-One, so I expect they would measure less than 37mm mounted on the AGX45
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... one-tle-34

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

emotive wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:57 am
sunfire2k5 wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 6:25 pm
34mm Pro One should "blow" up to 37-38mm width. then we are talking light gravel and tarmac wheelset that is fast... Got me interested actually. One of my routes is 50/50 tarmac and gravel. Could be cool to test 34mm slicks.
BRR Tested the 34mm Pro-One this week. Unfortunately, they only measure 0.7mm larger than 32mm Pro-One, so I expect they would measure less than 37mm mounted on the AGX45
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... one-tle-34
I nabbed a pair of 34mm Pro Ones recently and I'm loving them. On my Nextie NXT39ARX rims which are 25mm internal width the tyres measure 35mm across at my preferred 40psi. I find they roll really nicely and are not noticeably slower than any other road tyre I've ever used other than full-on time-trial tyres. I was able to use them on the TroBroLeon sportive with its many unsurfaced farm track sections last weekend and got round unscathed while many other people suffered multiple punctures. I'm using them tubeless, of course, weird that BRR tests them with a butyl inner tube.