Carbon vs. Ti gravel bike?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

sfo423

by sfo423

Anyone else labored over the decision? Same build on each. Carbon (Argon Dark Matter) or straight gauge ti custom (US builder). Taking cost out of the equation...which is about $1k more for ti.

Seems like ti is old school. But, durable, a bit more damp/smooth, custom. Carbon, well, its carbon. Stiff, fast(er), light.

Not a primary bike, N+1. 1st world problems.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'd go Ti. I have high end carbon currently (Parlee Z0-XD) but originally purchased as a do all bike so that drove my decision. It's a great bike no doubt, but if I was starting from scratch and just getting a gravel bike it would be Ti.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

njyeti

by njyeti

Unless racing and concerned with weight, I’d go Ti. While subjective, I feel like nothing beats Ti ride quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

It's gravel.. you will crash/come off... which are you going to have more piece of mind getting back on and giving it the beans?.. metal just makes more sense
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Hellgate

by Hellgate

Go Ti, but db instead of straight gauge. The ride is even better a you'll down a bit of weight.

Hellgate

by Hellgate

DB Ti. Excellent ride!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

straight can ride just fine... the builder is what is most crucial.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Well, the answer is it depends. If you already have a carbon primary bike I'd go with a Ti gravel bike. If you already have a Ti primary bike I'd go with a carbon gravel bike.

Both of my primary and secondary bikes are Ti so I went with a carbon gravel bike. Gravel bikes are damn heavy no matter the frame material. Either material choice is fine so I'd go with whatever material you currently don't own.

sfo423

by sfo423

My road and mountain bikes are both carbon.

The ti builder gave a brief overview of dB vs straight gauge and I will explore more with him after deposit and we get 8nto build. Overall, if I want stiff (I ride a larger frame) vs light, ill go stiff and as he explained straight may be more beneficial. TBD.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Yeah. If your have a large frame the stiffer straight gauge tubes will be better. The weight saving of DB is very minimal. Usually only the top and bottom tubes are DB'ed. The seat tube is almost always straight gauge. Another alternative is to use larger diameter tubing but use DB'ed tubes. There are many possible ways to achieve the end goal.

njyeti

by njyeti

What Ti builder are you talking with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yemble

by Yemble

Mud abrasion, crash resilience (washing out is more likely than on road) and customization options are good reasons for Ti. I doubt the nebulous ride quality is very noticeable on fat tires and loose surfaces.

Theologian

by Theologian

Go Ti and natural brushed finish. Besides ride quality, It will look new after decades. Even if you don't crash, chips and scratches and nicks are inevitable with carbon. With ti, you just buff it out and it looks brand new. It's like magic.

spartacus

by spartacus

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:12 am
Gravel bikes are damn heavy no matter the frame material.
Which is why I went carbon, it's quite a bit lighter, 1lb or more. Can't comment on stiffness or ride quality I'm sure it depends.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I have a ti gravel frame and a carbon gravel frame. The geometry on both is virtually identical bar 3mm longer and lower for the carbon.

Both ride really well but the Ti is about 450g heavier than the carbon. Is that enough to bother you?.

As for Ti being a frame for life. Nope, they crack and fail just like anything else.
The finish gets scratched if you wipe off mud ( obviously depends where you live ) but they look worn just like any other frame after a while.

I'll be honest and say that when I clean the TI bike I'm meticulous at looking at all the tubes and welds for cracking or failures. I don't tend to be so meticulous with the carbon frames - I think I trust them more.

There is no magic carpet ride or springy feeling from Ti, I think that's just marketing / online review BS.
I've had a few of them now so it's not just the current frame.

I'm not being negative towards Ti, not at all. But I'm also not going to evangelise the stuff like it's a supernatural material.

I'm pleased I have mine and I wouldn't part with it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com