How much does your gravel bike weigh? (why are they so heavy?)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nohands83

by Nohands83

That's a great weight.
Think the wide variation of weights on this thread is a reflection of the scope of 'gravel' as a whole, and how different that can be depending on your local terrain and preferences.
Where and how you ride your bike really influences the weight, if most of your riding is hard pack gravel roads you can get away with a wide-tired road bike and the weight reflects that.
You want to ride MTB 'lite' with rock garden and trails you a probably best suited to something more robust.
Basically, we're not comparing apples to apples.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vd91

by vd91

Here is my Ribble CX5 - 9.4kg

Designed as a cross bike, picked it up for £900 stock and so far added a few bits, waiting on a set of flared bars and some fresh tape (won't change the weight much as they are only budget)

So far added:
40mm WTB Raddler (frame supposedly takes 35mm max but there is still 5mm clearance with these)
Hunt Four Season All Road Disc (previously had horrible non-tubeless Mavic Aksiums)
Redshift stem
Ultimate USE Vybe alloy suspension seatpost

Sure, it could be lighter, but my aim was comfort for this bike. I run a set of 30mm WTB Exposure on the same rims for Winter bike duties.

Only thing left I want to change is the groupset. Its on 105 5800 at the moment which isn't terrible, but really tempted to go for Campag Ekar or XPLR AXS, anybody got any experience with these? I still kinda need as close to 1:1 as an easiest gear (this is 50/34 and 11-32 cassette) but also want a decent top end which excludes GRX as 42t front and 11-42 at the back was killer on my old bike when riding road, just ended up spinning out A LOT! Any other user experience or advice would be appreciated!

rjich

by rjich

Yes I agree. The forum skews heavily towards the legacy WW road cycling mentality. The v light bikes are typically 'all road' or designed to mimic the geometry and looks of those bikes with slightly wider slick and light tires. But v different to something that would be taken off road past cobbles, or even allowed to get muddy!

Similar to taking a sports car on some trails. It'll work fine up until a point. It doesn't make it any less capable up to that point!

All fun and interesting to read how people customise their bikes to suit our minds eye.

Nohands83 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:40 pm
That's a great weight.
Think the wide variation of weights on this thread is a reflection of the scope of 'gravel' as a whole, and how different that can be depending on your local terrain and preferences.
Where and how you ride your bike really influences the weight, if most of your riding is hard pack gravel roads you can get away with a wide-tired road bike and the weight reflects that.
You want to ride MTB 'lite' with rock garden and trails you a probably best suited to something more robust.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

First step of shaving weight
From 9.6 to 8.1 kg of my bike

Changed cassette, rear der, shifters and brakes, wheelset and tyres, rotors, stem and bar, crank and chainring and chain

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
http://eliflap.it/

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

Second step , below 7,8 kg

Seatpost and saddle change

jayjay

by jayjay

So, you basically changed everything? :D

kppolich

by kppolich

7kg as shown, size 56

dagex

by dagex

foto rus indir

8,7 kg / 19,2 lbs w/o saddlebag, pump & GPS unit
Size is 54

Changed stock handle bar to Easton EC70 AX, stem to S Works SL 7 (110 mm; -12°), saddle to Tune Speedneedle, wheelset to Zipp 303S, tires to WTB Nano 700x40
Added Wahoo Powrlink Zero Single pedals

Feels much lighter when I am riding it... :-)

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

jayjay wrote:So, you basically changed everything? :D
I kept fork frame and headset

I hate factory builds.
They are a no sense for the customer, only yes sense for the frame factory saving money with commercial agreements.
In my perfect world no bike factory but only frame factory.
So I can do my own bike by myself

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

rjich wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:34 pm
Yes I agree. The forum skews heavily towards the legacy WW road cycling mentality. The v light bikes are typically 'all road' or designed to mimic the geometry and looks of those bikes with slightly wider slick and light tires. But v different to something that would be taken off road past cobbles, or even allowed to get muddy!

Similar to taking a sports car on some trails. It'll work fine up until a point. It doesn't make it any less capable up to that point!

All fun and interesting to read how people customise their bikes to suit our minds eye.

Nohands83 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:40 pm
That's a great weight.
Good posts. Using the car analogy; my type of gravel bike would be like a Rally car; can be set up and used on Tarmac - and then set up for events off road. From smooth gravel of Finland/New Zealand to the rougher gravel of Greece, Kenya.
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

chupster98

by chupster98

chupster98 wrote:Here's my rig: 2020 Revolt Advanced 0 - Medium
Weight when stock: 9.3 kg / 20.5 lbs

A bit disapointed weightwise - as the baseline weight I found online called for 8.4 kg - no pedals. In reality, it came closer to 8.6kg - no pedals
Bike rides really good, overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Final Weight - after some upgrades: 8.65 kg / 19.06 lbs

Bit the bullet & ordered a set of Farsports Gravel wheels. Set came slightly under the claimed weight - 1,270 gr for the set.

Final weight is now 8.16 kg / 17.99 lbs - w. pedals.

No more upgrades here….bike is done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Giant Revolt Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2014 Santa Cruz 5010 CC

annanikolson

by annanikolson

eliflap-scalpel wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 4:54 pm
First step of shaving weight
From 9.6 to 8.1 kg of my bike

Changed cassette, rear der, shifters and brakes, wheelset and tyres, upcoming slots, rotors, stem and bar, crank and chainring and chain

Hi! Looks really great! Does it feel lighter to you or not? What was your budget for modification if you don't mind? I will purchase a gravel bike(one of these) in a month, trying to predict the budget

All the best!
Last edited by annanikolson on Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

I got a new RED AXS disc groupset on the net from a French shop.
1950 euro
Sold at 350 previous Apex groupset
So 1600 euro out
Got nearly new carbon wide wheelset from a friend with 150 km on paid 950 instead 1700 when new
New tyres on eBay 70
New post from eBay 110
Stem used on a forum 150
Saddle was a limited production of a friend some years ago 120
So more 1420 out
Cassette and rear der from a German shop 610
Bar from AliExpress 100 euro
Bike was on sale on eBay too at 2400 euro
New Red crankset 500 euro same French shop
Rotors and chain on eBay 170
So more 3780 euro

Try to sell a new front and rear AXS derailleurs, the “used” stock wheelset and bar and stem and saddle and post to get some money back.

Nowadays I spent 6800 euro
0,872 euro for each gram

woodzyz

by woodzyz

takolino wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:18 pm
6.78g on my Feedback hanging scale.
Built for dry trails and road to get to there so I was able to keep the weight down with fairly light tires.
This will be replaced soon by the new Crux. Plans include lighter wheelset and 1x drivetrain but adding PM.

It is really light,the color is gorgeous,What a beautiful bike :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

Recently picked up a 2017 TCX.
Stuck GRX 600 on it (42t chainring and 11-40 cassette).

Weighs just under 9kg Image

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk