How much does your gravel bike weigh? (why are they so heavy?)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

stalkersk

by stalkersk

jlok wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:25 am
stalkersk wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:32 pm
Ridley Kanzo Fast size M - 8.295kg

Weighted without lights and saddle bag, pedals, cages and computer mount included.

Sram Force AXS XPLR
Quarq 165mm crankset
46t DM chainring
Rotor 11-39 cassette
XTR pedals
Lightbicyle WR65
Rene Herse Snoquailme Pass in Extralight casing
Brooks C13 saddle
How does the Rotor 11-39 shift? Is it smooth?
Shifting is great, just a bit noisy in some gears on the steel part of the cassette.

takolino

by takolino

2022 s-works crux 56 with PM, mounts, cages, pedals, pump, lights, 6.4kg
Finally built up the crux frameset I got at the end of last year. Due to a separated shoulder, I had to take a short break from gravel.
Very happy with the build. This bike replaced a 2020 crux elite (earlier in this thread) and it feels better on both road and gravel. I went for a more offroad focused build this time and sized up for more stack to tame the steeper single track around here. Still was able to save about 500g. Most of the savings were in the frame and wheels.

Wheels: Grail CB7, Extralite hubs, Berd spokes
Tires: RH Steilacoom 700x38
Levers: Sram Red AXS cable
Der: Sram Red XPLR
Brakes: Juintech GT/F1
Rotors: Ashima AiNeon 180mm/160mm
Cassette: Ethirteen Helix R12 945
Chainring: Alugear 36t
PM: 4iiii Precision
Seat Post: MCFK SB

Last edited by takolino on Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Nice @takolino! 6.4kg on the Crux gravel is impressive. BTW, Pic not showing up for me.

Sorry to hear about your separated shoulder. Hope you’re back in the saddle.
Last edited by kode54 on Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

LedZeppelin007 wrote:Image
9.3kg as pictured. 58cm frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mine medium sized is 9,37 with XTR pedals and stock Vittoria mezcal tires.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

takolino

by takolino

kode54 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:15 am
Nice @takolino! 6.4kg on the Crux gravel is impressive. BYW, Pic not showing up for me.

Thanks @kode54!
Oops about the pic. Just edited the link.
I'm definitely back, thanks! I had surgery end of last year and pretty much recovered by spring but stayed on tarmac for a while. If you guessed I crashed on gravel, yup. Came off a berm too fast on a blind es turn and couldn't correct. Now I go a bit slower on unfamiliar trails and use proper tires.

Matte86

by Matte86

Great weight!
How do you find the berd spokes?
And the combo berd+Extralite?

takolino

by takolino

I like them a lot. I built my first Berd wheelset for my Aethos a couple of years ago. When I did the research then, they were already used quite a bit for mountain biking and they seemed pretty bomb proof. Extralite and Berd seem to be perfect for each other. The straight pull hubs especially, but not the radial. I think it’s a fairly common WW combo these days but pricey.

Matte86

by Matte86

Thanks for your reply!
Definitely the lightest combo atm.. not sure about lacing them with the Tactic
I do see them more for gravel and off road in general as they are round.. but I totally understand them in an Aethos build..
Extremely interested in those and contemplating them for my build with the same hubs
I read that after 3-6 months you need to check tension and everything.. how’s maintenance?

takolino

by takolino

TBH, I haven’t ridden the Aethos much since my injury as it’s setup pretty low. I rode it a few times over the summer and the wheels were fine although they have lost some tension. I’d say a half to one turn per spoke should be enough. 1/2 on the nds. They’re still as true as when I built them. I understand that they don’t stretch much after you tighten them.

For even lighter, if you go to the LB wheel thread, they just launched the AR25 gravel rim that’s ridiculously light at 250g. With this combo, you could get below 900g for a clincher wheelset which is insane! That should help lighten gravel bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matte86

by Matte86

Thanks.. I asked as I won’t build them myself and berd spokes dealers aren’t close to where I live I was/am keen to understand their maintenance so, if I go that route, I can plan accordingly
I didn’t know about Lb gonna check them out..

kode54

by kode54

takolino wrote:
kode54 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:15 am
Nice @takolino! 6.4kg on the Crux gravel is impressive. BYW, Pic not showing up for me.

Thanks @kode54!
Oops about the pic. Just edited the link.
I'm definitely back, thanks! I had surgery end of last year and pretty much recovered by spring but stayed on tarmac for a while. If you guessed I crashed on gravel, yup. Came off a berm too fast on a blind es turn and couldn't correct. Now I go a bit slower on unfamiliar trails and use proper tires.
As much fun on gravel, I lose it at speed on washboard. So these days, I take it nice n’ easy. Glad you’re back!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

markdjr

by markdjr

takolino wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:05 am
2022 s-works crux 56 with PM, mounts, cages, pedals, pump, lights, 6.4kg
Finally built up the crux frameset I got at the end of last year. Due to a separated shoulder, I had to take a short break from gravel.
Very happy with the build. This bike replaced a 2020 crux elite (earlier in this thread) and it feels better on both road and gravel. I went for a more offroad focused build this time and sized up for more stack to tame the steeper single track around here. Still was able to save about 500g. Most of the savings were in the frame and wheels.

Wheels: Grail CB7, Extralite hubs, Berd spokes
Tires: RH Steilacoom 700x38
Levers: Sram Red AXS cable
Der: Sram Red XPLR
Brakes: Juintech GT/F1
Rotors: Ashima AiNeon 180mm/160mm
Cassette: Ethirteen Helix R12 945
Chainring: Alugear 36t
PM: 4iiii Precision
Seat Post: MCFK SB

What kind of headset spacers are these? Are they a larger OD than standard or is it an optical illusion? Looks great!

kode54

by kode54

I’m sure @takolino 3D printed those spacers. I modified his spacer to fit my Aethos with Black Inc. barstem. Image
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

gcartelli

by gcartelli

robertbb wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:48 am
I'm in LOVE with this bike. Solid choices all around. Who made the frame?
Thanks! Its a dream, has given me so many issues with fit etc but finally seems to have settled down steady and been putting some serious miles in on it. Excited to put some gravel tires on it soon (G-One-RS probably). Frame is Waltly TI.

takolino

by takolino

markdjr wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:45 pm

What kind of headset spacers are these? Are they a larger OD than standard or is it an optical illusion? Looks great!
kode54 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:00 am
I’m sure @takolino 3D printed those spacers. I modified his spacer to fit my Aethos with Black Inc. barstem.
Yup, that's right. Nice mod @kode54! For more details go to my aethos post in introduce yourself gallery or search sub5 aethos spacer. These spacers use a carbon spacer underneath so there's no stress on the 3d printed part. The aethos spacer should work for the crux since the headtube top edge diameter is the same. The cad file is on grabcad. search for aethos spacer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com