Gearoop 44/28 direct mount chainrings 130g (476g full crankset)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I still prefer 2x chainrings for my gravel bike. However 50/34 is too big for me with almost half of the cassette left unused with big ring.

Then I found Gearloop 44/28 chainrings and I went for it.
Gearoop 44/28 direct mount chainring weight about 130g, cost around $140.
I pair it with Quarq Dub crank arms, weight 339g with some unnecessary plastics. This crank arms cost me $196.
Together, this tiny compact crankset weight under 476g without unnecessary plastic pieces. Using 28t front ring together with 11-30 cassette in the back, I now have sub 1-1 gearing, while also having relatively tight jump between the gears. It shift pretty nice too, although I need to shift a lot of gear in the back to compensate for the big difference between big ring and small ring (still 16t difference but ratio wise it is more than regular compact).

On scale:
Initial installation, with front derailleur set way too high for 44t chainring.:
I have to move the blaze-on mounting tab a bit lower to mount my FD low enough for proper installation. To be honest, it shift the same as when the FD is way too high. I guess by moving it down, I just reduce the chance of overshifting and drop the chain on the outside.

gSporco

by gSporco

Can you provide a link where you can get it? All i see is direct mount, but not 8 bolt direct mount that the Quarq DUB D1 crank arms use

Thanks
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I bought mine from Ebay. It say for AXS, but it work nicely with 11 speed chain.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gearoop-Replac ... 3604313778

gSporco

by gSporco

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:19 am
I bought mine from Ebay. It say for AXS, but it work nicely with 11 speed chain.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gearoop-Replac ... 3604313778
That is awesome! I wish they would also make one for the DUB Power meter spider 107bcd
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

fourfa

by fourfa

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing

kroem

by kroem

Shipping:
Does not ship to Sweden

Item location:
Taipei, Taiwan

Ships to:
Worldwide

:(
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

prebsy

by prebsy

DM subcompact 2x rings. it's about time.

As discussed in other threads sram has downgraded the quarq arms from what you have (i think the same as the red offering) to basically the force offering.

fourfa

by fourfa

How's the shift quality? Able to shift under load at all? Hard to tell with the black ano and the lighting in the photos - but looks like no shift ramps at all

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

planet cyclery still have the older D1 cranks in stock, although very low stock

Hexsense

by Hexsense

fourfa wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:42 pm
How's the shift quality? Able to shift under load at all? Hard to tell with the black ano and the lighting in the photos - but looks like no shift ramps at all
Yes. The shift quality is actually quite good. The benefit of direct mount chainring is that they can align the big and small ring to be absolutely right.
What annoys me is the ratio change between the ring though. 44 to 28 and vice versa is a big big change in gear ratio. I need a lot of compensation rear shift.

fourfa

by fourfa

That seems like a positive to me! I want a bigger gap in front and closer ratios in back, with a large overall range. More rear shifts to compensate is fine with me

nazekimi

by nazekimi

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:15 am
I still prefer 2x chainrings for my gravel bike. However 50/34 is too big for me with almost half of the cassette left unused with big ring.

Then I found Gearloop 44/28 chainrings and I went for it.
Gearoop 44/28 direct mount chainring weight about 130g, cost around $140.
I pair it with Quarq Dub crank arms, weight 339g with some unnecessary plastics. This crank arms cost me $196.
Together, this tiny compact crankset weight under 476g without unnecessary plastic pieces. Using 28t front ring together with 11-30 cassette in the back, I now have sub 1-1 gearing, while also having relatively tight jump between the gears. It shift pretty nice too, although I need to shift a lot of gear in the back to compensate for the big difference between big ring and small ring (still 16t difference but ratio wise it is more than regular compact).

On scale:
Initial installation, with front derailleur set way too high for 44t chainring.:
I have to move the blaze-on mounting tab a bit lower to mount my FD low enough for proper installation. To be honest, it shift the same as when the FD is way too high. I guess by moving it down, I just reduce the chance of overshifting and drop the chain on the outside.
I can't really judge by the pic what FD or drivetrain you are using, but will these be compatible with shimano drivetrains?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

This is Shimano FD-9100. So, yes.
And before someone ask if this will be compatible with Sram FD, My shifters are Sram.
This bike has Sram shifter with Shimano FD.

kroem

by kroem

Anyone know if they plan on doing like a 46/33?
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naavt

by naavt

I'm currently on AB ovals subcompact on my climbing road bike and having chainline and drop chain issues.

Because of that I've just bought a Gearoop subcompact to try out and see.

Let's see if the braze on will let me move the FD down enough and if the chainline issues will disappear, since Gearoop announces the same exact chainline for 4/110 Shimano bcd, which is the one I'm using on a P2Max Easton spider.

I'm a bit frustrated to leave the awesome AB outer chainring design, but if everything else works Im happy to trade off design for efficiency.

Im a bit curious about the "squircle" inner chainring design though.