Campy ekar rotors with shimano brakes...

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

LeMomo

by LeMomo

...Will the purists hunt me down and lynch me?

I need 4 new CL rotors to fit new wheels and have to say I quite like the look of the campy rotors, I want a solid steel rotor and these are available for just under £30 per rotor. I'm already running Quarq cranks with a Shimano drive, so the non matchiness doesnt concern me too much, I can't think of any reason they'd be incompatible unless the offset differs to shimano. (all my hubs are DT swiss CL apart from one pair of 650b wheels which are 6 bolt, DT350 rear which has exactly the same disc offset as the CL versions, but the front is a Hope Pro4 which needed some spacers behind the rotor)

sychen

by sychen

LeMomo wrote:...Will the purists hunt me down and lynch me?

I need 4 new CL rotors to fit new wheels and have to say I quite like the look of the campy rotors, I want a solid steel rotor and these are available for just under £30 per rotor. I'm already running Quarq cranks with a Shimano drive, so the non matchiness doesnt concern me too much, I can't think of any reason they'd be incompatible unless the offset differs to shimano. (all my hubs are DT swiss CL apart from one pair of 650b wheels which are 6 bolt, DT350 rear which has exactly the same disc offset as the CL versions, but the front is a Hope Pro4 which needed some spacers behind the rotor)
I'm unapologetically mixing Campagnolo afs rotors with my shimano 9150 brakes (on both my roval and wto wheels).

Yes I get teased by various WW members at the cafes for my shimagnolo builds..

Doesn't bother me..I use them with pride. Don't let them bother you. Do what you want. I like it.. And it performs adequately.

That said haven't looked into the ekar rotors so unsure if there are any compatibility issues.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g00se

by g00se

Supposedly the Ekars are the same except for a steel carrier rather than alloy on the road rotors.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

the campy rotor does not work that well with shimano road caliper, the brake pad only overs about 3/4 of the designed braking surface, under dry condition is works ok but once it is wet I experienced a significant reduction in braking power i think it has something to do the vents in the middle, with campy pads the vents are completely covered but with shimano pads additional water can actually get in between the pads from the bottom via the vents

LeMomo

by LeMomo

ChiZ01 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:23 am
the campy rotor does not work that well with shimano road caliper, the brake pad only overs about 3/4 of the designed braking surface, under dry condition is works ok but once it is wet I experienced a significant reduction in braking power i think it has something to do the vents in the middle, with campy pads the vents are completely covered but with shimano pads additional water can actually get in between the pads from the bottom via the vents
Thanks for that, I'll have to measure the brake tracks before deciding then.

Have had a change of plan anyway, looted the spares box and found I had two Shimano rotors already, so ordered matching ones for them to tide me over until the Hope centrelock rotors become available!

Incidentally, Sigma sports have the Ekars listed at the wrong weight, 156g is too heavy for me!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My Campy AFS rotors paired with SRAM HRD (unibody) calipers/pads made horrific xylophone noises due to incomplete coverage of the vents and a fluting effect. I'm curious if others have experienced this with SRAM or Shimano calipers + Campy rotors.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

ChiZ01 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:23 am
Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but I love the look of AFS and want to get the rotors for my Shimano group.

How can it be that only 3/4 of the brake is covered? Aren't they still 160mm and 140mm? Is Campagnolo using Italian millimeters?

I actually noticed the same thing with my R9200 brakes and Galfer rotors, which is odd. Curious whether it is a similar overlap with Campy. If so, I guess I wouldn't be making things worse.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FreaK

by FreaK

The height of the braking track on the rotor differs between designs of the same total outside diameter.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm