Clear the confusion with Sram AXS Flat Top Chain Compatibility.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

cubixthe

by cubixthe

If I could dig this up... I'm running an APEX setup at the moment, want to switch to a lighter crank without replacing the whole BB if possible (GXP). Would the SRAM Force 1 AXS 12 speed crank work with an 11speed chain, or do those Force 1 narrow-wide 12 Speed chainrings only work with the 12 speed flattop chain?

gSporco

by gSporco

I dont think there is a Sram AXS crank with GXP BB. They should all be DuB srandard size
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Oh its an old thread.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

gSporco wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:36 am
I dont think there is a Sram AXS crank with GXP BB. They should all be DuB srandard size
While SRAM makes no mention of it on their own website, both Red and Force in the new AXS design are still available with GXP spindle. May not be listed in every store out there but check for example Bike24 and R2-Bike to find them.

cubixthe

by cubixthe

MayhemSWE wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:05 pm
gSporco wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:36 am
While SRAM makes no mention of it on their own website, both Red and Force in the new AXS design are still available with GXP spindle. May not be listed in every store out there but check for example Bike24 and R2-Bike to find them.
They do mention it in the crank specs:

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/fc-frc-1-d1

And by referring to their compatibility chart, it seems that it is indeed compatible with and EAGLE 12sp chain, don't know about 11speed chains...

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Back to the original OP's post since there wasn't really a conclusion. Why not run the XTR 10-45 cassette for both road and for gravel? With the 44t chainring up front, you should be able to do pretty much everything you want to do with that setup.
You will need to switch to a 12 speed shimano compatible chainring as well as a microspline freehub.

Ryan Palmer wrote an article about mixing xtr with axs for mtb but there is no reason why it wouldn't work for a gravel bike.

If you need two options, you could always just swap the rd and chain each time you replace the wheelset. The chain and rd can all come off as one piece together.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The issue here the op want 1t jumps from 10t to 17t and a wide range with 1x. Off road your cadence has to vary. If your not comfortable with that stick to the road. The want to have it both ways and thats not possible.

Shimano and sram 12 speed spacing is slightly different. This could lead to shifting problems as components as wear.

jstrawks

by jstrawks

Are there chainrings I can fit to the earlier Force 1 cranks that are flat top chain compatible? I bought a crankset not realizing that the chainring isn't compatible with the planned Force AXS 1x groupset.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jstrawks wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:07 am
Are there chainrings I can fit to the earlier Force 1 cranks that are flat top chain compatible? I bought a crankset not realizing that the chainring isn't compatible with the planned Force AXS 1x groupset.

Praxis Buzz 50/34.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

jstrawks wrote:
I guess the other question is, can you use another 12s chain like a kmc?

jstrawks

by jstrawks

Steve Curtis wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:55 pm
jstrawks wrote:
SRAM says the AXS groupsets require their flat top chains. They may not be right. I'll check with KMC, thanks.

jstrawks

by jstrawks

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:29 pm
jstrawks wrote:

Praxis Buzz 50/34.
I'll check Praxis for the right 1x chainring. Thank you.

jstrawks

by jstrawks

jstrawks wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:47 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:29 pm
jstrawks wrote:

Praxis Buzz 50/34.
I'll check Praxis for the right 1x chainring. Thank you.
It looks like this (though out of stock) is fully compatible. Thanks again.

https://praxiscycles.com/product/110bcd-wave-tech/

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

jstrawks wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:47 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:55 pm
jstrawks wrote:
SRAM says the AXS groupsets require their flat top chains. They may not be right. I'll check with KMC, thanks.
I think we're probably in the same place regarding AXS. I'm intending to build a x1 with force AXS shifters, rear mech, cassette and chain.
I have a stone aero chainring to use with a 3 bolt sram crank.

I have no idea is the chain will work with the chainring or if a different chain will work with the mech and cassette.

I hope the new groupset has some other components that will fit in and be less of a gamble.

I also have a ratio tech kit to convert my 11speed shifter if all else fails.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com