Clear the confusion with Sram AXS Flat Top Chain Compatibility.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Yoln

by Yoln

Have seen a bunch of comments about the flattop chain running well with Campy SR12. I'm about to get one for that purpose, any long term review that would be negative, or should I proceed?
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

robertbb

by robertbb

Erwin wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:50 am

I have also seen that Garbaruk recommend nearly all of their chainrings AXS and other 12spd compatible. But they are all 1x chainrings though...
Garbaruk does make a distinction between SRAM flat-top and standard 12 speed chains, as part of the compatibility. It varies depending on which of their 1x rings you're looking at.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pb85

by pb85

:shock:
gSporco wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:23 pm
All,

As I continue to refine my one bike setuo (Cervelo Aspero) for both Road and Gravel mode with 2 wheelsets I am still confused with what componenets are interchangable with the Sram Flat Top Chain.

Here is what I know, please fill in the blanks for me please:

1. Sram AXS Cassette (Red and Force) require Flat Top chains
2. Chainrings must be Flat top chain compatible to use the Flat Top chain (Sram AXS, Wolftooth new AXS CR and Garb CR)

3. Eagle AXS RD can use a Flat top chain?
4. Eagle Cassette can use Flat top chain?
5. eThirteen, Rotors, Garb or other 12 speed cassette Flat top chain compatible?

My goal is to run 10-36 with Force AXS RD with 44T CR and Flat Top chain on one wheelset (currently using this)
and
Second wheelset with 10-50 Eagle Cassette or 9-46 eThirteen cassette with Force AXS RD with Road link or Garb cge extender with 44T CR and Flat top chain.

I am trying to eliminate having to swap chains and derailleurs when I swap wheels for Road and Gravel days.

If only Sram would release a Force AXS 10-40 all my problems would be solved :(
:welcome:
I'm using in my cyclocross racing bikes drivetrain Force Axs, cassette 10-33 and 10-36 with XX1 Eagle chains and Absolute chainring in one bike and Alugear in another. I have to say that XX1 works much better in mud condition. I began to ride XX1 chain because I had to replace origin Flat top every month.
Xx1 chain works great and no problems yet

TerryatSecondPeak

by TerryatSecondPeak

Hello, fellow bike geeks! Great discussion and sorry to thread revive. Assuming I am but my darn phone isn't displaying post dates, lol. Not sure how old this thread is

I've been campaigning 1x on the road for alittle while, maybe since 2014. I can't get away from it. Past few years I've settled with 46t (Red AXS PM crank) and 11-40t shimano 11s mtb cassette with Sram Force 1x rear derailleur. Found Eagle 12s chain works best. Quite smooth. And sidenote, I much prefer cassettes that build up off the 11t cog vs 10t. Not just the smaller jumps, but I sense less drivetrain friction. I like the thought of bigger gears. Cassette, chainring, and pulleys.

Currently working on a similar setup but on a 12s system. 48t Red AXS 1x with Dura Ace 11-34t 12s cassette. RD is Red AXS max 33t with an AB HOLLIWcage. Chains... my current dance. Obviously flat top is a no go with the 12s Shimano cassette. Thought I'd luck out with an Eagle 12s chain. Fine shifting performance but crunchy under load in certain gears / chain angle. Next tried a Shimano 12s chain and learned eden without fully installing the chain that it hates the AXS 1x chainring. Tomorrow I receive a KMC x12 that I'll try. It's advertised to work for a setup like this. Fingers crossed. Fwiw, did have a 10-36t prior (using flat top), but thought shifting was a bit less than optimal with the RD not being the right one. It shifted, but not quickly and definitively. If that makes sense. Also, wanted to do away with the 10t.

We'll see what happens. I'll report back!

Cheers,

-=terry

HMITCHR

by HMITCHR

Looking forward to hearing your experience with the KMC X12. I am swapping over to the XPLR axs setup on my road/groad bike and want to run that chain so I can have a gold chain for vanity reasons. KMC market the chain as being compatible with AXS road systems, so I'm sure it won't be too bad

markdjr

by markdjr

TerryatSecondPeak wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:58 am
Hello, fellow bike geeks! Great discussion and sorry to thread revive. Assuming I am but my darn phone isn't displaying post dates, lol. Not sure how old this thread is

I've been campaigning 1x on the road for alittle while, maybe since 2014. I can't get away from it. Past few years I've settled with 46t (Red AXS PM crank) and 11-40t shimano 11s mtb cassette with Sram Force 1x rear derailleur. Found Eagle 12s chain works best. Quite smooth. And sidenote, I much prefer cassettes that build up off the 11t cog vs 10t. Not just the smaller jumps, but I sense less drivetrain friction. I like the thought of bigger gears. Cassette, chainring, and pulleys.

Currently working on a similar setup but on a 12s system. 48t Red AXS 1x with Dura Ace 11-34t 12s cassette. RD is Red AXS max 33t with an AB HOLLIWcage. Chains... my current dance. Obviously flat top is a no go with the 12s Shimano cassette. Thought I'd luck out with an Eagle 12s chain. Fine shifting performance but crunchy under load in certain gears / chain angle. Next tried a Shimano 12s chain and learned eden without fully installing the chain that it hates the AXS 1x chainring. Tomorrow I receive a KMC x12 that I'll try. It's advertised to work for a setup like this. Fingers crossed. Fwiw, did have a 10-36t prior (using flat top), but thought shifting was a bit less than optimal with the RD not being the right one. It shifted, but not quickly and definitively. If that makes sense. Also, wanted to do away with the 10t.

We'll see what happens. I'll report back!

Cheers,

-=terry
Can you swap to a 3rd party chainring or locked into RED PM?

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

HMITCHR wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:50 pm
Looking forward to hearing your experience with the KMC X12. I am swapping over to the XPLR axs setup on my road/groad bike and want to run that chain so I can have a gold chain for vanity reasons. KMC market the chain as being compatible with AXS road systems, so I'm sure it won't be too bad
The x12 works ok, not quite as crisp as the flat top over the 2000k I've used mine.
If you want a gold chain then the XX1 is probably the way to go. I also have one of these on another bike, and it's the best of all worlds. Nice shifting, works with all 12 speed chainrings, not just axs compatible ones. Lasts ages and looks good ( if you like gold )
Only negative is the price

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Steve Curtis wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:47 am
If you want a gold chain then the XX1 is probably the way to go. I also have one of these on another bike, and it's the best of all worlds. Nice shifting, works with all 12 speed chainrings, not just axs compatible ones. Lasts ages and looks good ( if you like gold )
Only negative is the price
When you say it works with 12 speed rings, do you mean 1x or 2x? Just looking into building a bike with Red AXS Etap but using Shimano 12 soeed cassette, chain & rings.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

No idea about Shimano, I don't use it.
Sorry, I can't help.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Steve Curtis wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:36 pm
Sorry, I can't help.
I presume you're using 1x only then?

morrisond

by morrisond

I'm using an Rival 46T 1x crank with Eagle chain, Eagle GX RD and Force XPLR cassette - very low percieved friction after the first 200km or so.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

ultimobici wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:41 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:36 pm
Sorry, I can't help.
I presume you're using 1x only then?
I have a few x1 bikes with AXS all with various chainring and chain brands.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

ImageI have tried 2-3 weeks ago, my trainer bike with 2 different chains...
And I tried it on the road...

The bike has Etap 11 sp. AB oval rings 50-36 and Sram 11-32 cassette 11 sp.
It has the Wifli long cage, J&L ceramic pulleys, which were filed sanded to fit the Shimano 12 sp. XTR M9100 chain which I was originally running with great results and shifting, both on the trainer and road...

Because I wanted to run 48-32 AB rings on my other Sram AXS bike, I decided to install a Sram Red flattop AXS chain on the above setup...

To my surprise it ran GREAT, shifting is fast and smooth, the chain doesn't make noise even thothe chain was ran without lube...Notbsure HOWBthebflattop chain was gettng along with the 11 sp cassette but was running great.
Front shifting Spectacular .

Apparently the AB rings should run fine with axs flattop . Tooth profile os very similar to my other Rotor rings for 12 sp. Axs ...

I know there are many variables with each person setup , but that combovworked great for me..

Hope this helps.,cheers 🍻

PaulJ

by PaulJ

I've been doing some research but can't find a definitive answer - this seemed the appropriate place to ask!

A friend has just ordered the 12 speed GRX groupset - he was originally going to use a set of 303s wheels which he already has for the build, but it transpires Zipp don't offer a microspline freehub. I suggested using a 12 speed Sram cassette, likely something from the XPLR 10-44 range, to avoid having to fork out for new wheels, but it's unclear if the XPLR cassettes are only compatible with flat top chains. I wasn't sure if the requirement for a flat top chain comes from the cassette or mech - if it's the latter then presumably any 12 speed 'regular' chain will work with the cassette? Or are non-flat top chains a no go with the XPLR cassettes? Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com