Clear the confusion with Sram AXS Flat Top Chain Compatibility.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jstrawks

by jstrawks

Yep, very similar boat. I'm probably going to buy the $80 Wolf Tooth eliptical chainring.

MattMay

by MattMay

What am I missing re SRAM saying AXS requires a flat top chain? Just plain wrong. I run a 10-36 Force cassette with a Force AXS rear mech and 40t chainring and use an eagle xx1 chain…smooth as frickin silk. 1x rig obviously.
Last edited by MattMay on Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jstrawks

by jstrawks

That's the 12-speed 10-36? The Eagle chain works with the 12-speed? What crankset do you have?

MattMay

by MattMay

Yep. I use an Easton ec90sl crank with an Easton 40t ring. Smooth, silent, light. My 02 VAM is 6.18kg. Full
AXS disc.

jstrawks

by jstrawks

Thanks. It's good to know that there's more than one chain option. My guess is that if the Eagle chain fits the Force 12-speed, then it's just s narrow as the flat top chain and probably won't fit the chainring that came on my older Force 1 crankset...but will fit any replacement chainring that the flat top will fit.

What do you think?

Oh, and NICE BIKE!

MattMay

by MattMay

You could be right on that about the chain ring…not sure. I’ve only done 1x rings. And thanks!

jstrawks

by jstrawks

My older Force 1 (discontinued but new-in-box) is a 1x, but the tooth profile won't handle the narrow chain 12-speed groupsets require...if I understand correctly.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

jstrawks wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:29 pm
My older Force 1 (discontinued but new-in-box) is a 1x, but the tooth profile won't handle the narrow chain 12-speed groupsets require...if I understand correctly.
Ratio technology include in jockey wheels with their 12 conversion due to this.

cerro

by cerro

MattMay wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:24 am
What am I missing re SRAM saying AXS requires a flat top chain? Just plain wrong. I run a 10-36 Force cassette with a Force AXS rear mech and 40t chainring and use an eagle xx1 chain…smooth as frickin silk. 1x rig obviously.
And how long does it lasts? Flattop got bigger rollers so not the same sizes teeths on the cassette.

MattMay

by MattMay

I don’t follow.

takolino

by takolino

XPLR just arrived with new 10-44 12 speed cassette for road gravel so you can keep using flattop chain. Unfortunately, you'll need to buy a new derailleur too. BTW, is the cog spacing same between Eagle and AXS road? I was wondering if you can use the new XPLR derailleurs with third party 12 spead cassettes now that they have more range.

kervelo

by kervelo

takolino wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:37 am
XPLR just arrived with new 10-44 12 speed cassette for road gravel so you can keep using flattop chain. Unfortunately, you'll need to buy a new derailleur too. BTW, is the cog spacing same between Eagle and AXS road? I was wondering if you can use the new XPLR derailleurs with third party 12 spead cassettes now that they have more range.
The new XPLR cassettes fit XDR freehub only. The eagle cassettes fit XD freehub and with the spacer also the XDR freehub.
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/sram-xp ... in-review/

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Just waiting for my order to arrive.
I'm going to try a red rear mech, force 10-33 cassette, stone chainring and kmc chain.
If that doesn't work I'll pick up an sram xo1 chain ( they didn't have them in stock or I would have gone for one over the kmc )

takolino

by takolino

kervelo wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:29 am
The new XPLR cassettes fit XDR freehub only. The eagle cassettes fit XD freehub and with the spacer also the XDR freehub.
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/sram-xp ... in-review/
Yea, I knew about that. Sounds like the OP has XDR. What I'm wondering about is the spacing between the cogs for derailleur compatibility. There's a XPLR Red derailleur for the new XDR 10-44 cassette so it could work for a Leonardi 9.46 XD for example. There are a lot more cassette choices for XD and it would be nice if they are compatible. Then you can use non-flattop chains and chainrings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

Another question related to upgrades: any idea if the SRAM XPLR Force 12sp flat top chain will work with SRAM Force 1 11sp chain ring?