Clear the confusion with Sram AXS Flat Top Chain Compatibility.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Upcountry

by Upcountry

The cassette and chain matching are probably the most important factor, much moreso than the rear derailleur. As such, I can't imagine that a 12 speed Shimano HG+ chain would work well at all on a XPLR cassette... Best bet is to go with a R8100 or R7100 cassette in the 11-34 or 11-36 offering. Alternatively, Ingrid make an 11-44 cassette that will fit a HG freehub, but with the Shimano 12s GRX being so new, I haven't seen it paired yet, and don't know if they've tested the Shimano 12s chain on it, but their MTB cassettes are compatible with the 12s Shimano chain, so I bet they use a similar tooth profile and that it would work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

I doubt a Zipp microspline freehub is that far away; the potential market is too big to ignore.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

raggedtrousers wrote:I doubt a Zipp microspline freehub is that far away; the potential market is too big to ignore.
Why would Sram accommodate Shimano 1x? It would mean them paying Shimano for the right to use MS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I laugh at this thread....
My son's 24in MTB that I 26'ed / 11sp'ed out. Shimano M5100 11sp RD, SRAM 11sp 11-36 cassette, Alibaba lightweight crank / random "12sp" ring, flat top chain (because I had it laying around).
https://i.imgur.com/qsD5yP0.jpg

The big thing with the flat top chain is that it needs a really narrow top pulley on the RD. I think I put this on there https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BH7 ... UTF8&psc=1 and all was good.

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

ultimobici wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:16 pm
raggedtrousers wrote:I doubt a Zipp microspline freehub is that far away; the potential market is too big to ignore.
Why would Sram accommodate Shimano 1x? It would mean them paying Shimano for the right to use MS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the same reasons they offer an HG11 freehub. I get SRAM own Zipp, but at the end of the day, people will want GRX more than Zipp wheels (not least as far more complete bikes will come equipped with GRX 1x than they will with Zipps), and SRAM know this. The pragmatic decision would be to pay to license the MS FH, and to sell more wheels. I obviously haven't done the maths, but I'd guess that the extra sales will more than offset the cost.