1x Campagnolo Ekar drivetrain

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Unniti

by Unniti

corky wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:51 pm
Wireless will not happen until the SRAM patent on batteries on derailleurs runs out. At best you will get wireless controls but the derailleurs have to be powered from a wired battery.
Have integrated batteries in the derailleurs and boom you've dodged the SRAM patent on how to attach batteries to derailleurs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

gwerziou wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:10 pm
What rumors? I would get a (at least Chorus level) Campy 1 x 13 without a second of hesitation.
Only forum stuff, I don't have any direct sources.

cubixthe

by cubixthe

Unniti wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:28 pm
corky wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:51 pm
Wireless will not happen until the SRAM patent on batteries on derailleurs runs out. At best you will get wireless controls but the derailleurs have to be powered from a wired battery.
Have integrated batteries in the derailleurs and boom you've dodged the SRAM patent on how to attach batteries to derailleurs.
Was going to suggest the same thing. Just do integrated, a little more pain in the ass with charging but if it's serviceable by Campagnolo (battery replacement in the future) why not! Would be something truly amazing :)

gwerziou

by gwerziou

My guess is that the new parts will be 12 speed to mix and match with the current parts such as the excellent shifters and brakes, but a clutched rear derailleur with a big capacity, and then maybe a shorter-caged one as well for a 2x front setup with a clutch for rougher roads.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I don't think a clutch is urgently needed with Campagnolo rear mechs (they are very stable on bumps), but a clutched derailler with something like 11-37 capacity would be ace, paired with 48/32 it will be a dream for gravel.

Ah, and shifters made of stronger plastic, I think I already mentioned it somewhere ;)
Last edited by gorkypl on Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Last edited by gwerziou on Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

gorkypl wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:23 pm
I don't think a clutch is urgently needed with Campagnolo rear mechs (they are very stable on bumps), but a clutched derailler with something like 11-37 capacity would be ace, paired with 48/32 it will be a dream for gravel.
I just ordered a super record group but with the chorus crank and an 11-34 cassette... I ordered some of the parts from starbike.com!

gwerziou

by gwerziou

gwerziou

by gwerziou

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Somehow this post replicated endlessly, sorry.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

There's more patents being registered recently in the US (which usually preceds a commercial launch) after being filed in Italy 3 years ago:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US103 ... 10300988B2

This for example is for "permanent partial overshift" in my best translation from the jergon in Vicenza. They don't care anymore as some people is aware that it exists as it is being tested.

I think it is going to be 12 speeds, the new thing for Campag is the freehub body allowing sporckets smaller than 11 T. Unfortunately this means our old freehub bodies dating back to the 1996 9 s standard will no longer be compatible. But as it looks today, the new freehibs will be compatible with most high end "previous art" hubs, so the upgrade could be not that expensive.

Obviously there is interesting stuff going on at the rear mech as well.

The sheet stamping of the ErgoPower internals is getting really advanced. That's where I'm involved, among other stuff like alu forging molds, just so it's clear. Not only with Campag, the company i work for supplies some other cycling related companies.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

This is actually extremely interesting - seems like Campy is trying to further improve mechanical shifting, instead of moving entirely to electric like SRAM.
I wish they succeed with this approach as I'm not a huge fan of electric shifters on my bikes.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

They are working very extensively on electronic shifting as well.

talltales

by talltales

Wireless seem to add a lot of bulk and expense to the derailleurs. To my mind wired is better and cheaper, even if Shimano could definately clean up the number of little boxes, junctions and doodads. Wired seem to be faster too

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com