1x Campagnolo Ekar drivetrain

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FredV

by FredV

Miller wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:02 pm
I've been using Ekar for a year, road and gravel, love it. I'm a long-time Campag user and honestly, I couldn't care less about ultrashift, it's a much over-rated feature. If you want to move down the block rapidly, it's trivial to do multiple fast clicks.
Campag shifting is quite firm, so I don't mind about "overdownshifting" & it reminds my the SRAM XX gripshift on my MTB.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Ah my bad about Ryan Kamp, I read he was riding Campa and assumed it must me Ekar. He indeed uses SR, more info on https://racefietsblog.nl/de-colnago-g3-x-van-ryan-kamp/

Thanks for the correction.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

Sjoerd wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:00 pm
Ah my bad about Ryan Kamp, I read he was riding Campa and assumed it must me Ekar. He indeed uses SR, more info on https://racefietsblog.nl/de-colnago-g3-x-van-ryan-kamp/

Thanks for the correction.

I have used the H11 groupset for gravel and know others that have used Chorus. Works fine. A derailleur break on SR-W could be expensive...
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Romb1k wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:50 pm
Moscone wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:08 pm
Pyotrump wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:27 am
Moscone wrote:If this is new:
Ekar thumbshifter converting to Ultrashift (that u can shift more than 1 gear in a row with the thumb)
Wow.. this video shows me that all those multi shifting structure already exists but Campy blocked this with a thin metal bar..

Why Campy? Maybe for differentiation sales tactic with future super ekar?

Grouppo companies are getting uglier nowadays.

나의 SM-G977N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
i think also for "beginner" who are not firm with ergopower is it maybe a easier step to get in. I can see both sides and can say it makes sense! For me who is riding campa ergos quiet a while i can't imagine it otherwise... so i was searching for a solution, what was more easy than i thought...
Now we can all be happy + if people can't shift accurate, they can put a 2mm steel pin back in. So nobody loses.
Iam still working on more campa hacks, also converting it to rimbrake in a open source way.
Is it possible to put this pin back?
Depends if you bend it taking it out, TBH.
At the SC we take them out to do a full strip on the lever from time to time - they usually go back in OK but we keep a small amount of 2mm stainless rod in stock "just in case" ... 2mm plain gauge stanless spoke material would do as well.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Moscone

by Moscone

Romb1k wrote:
Moscone wrote:
Pyotrump wrote:
Moscone wrote:If this is new:
Ekar thumbshifter converting to Ultrashift (that u can shift more than 1 gear in a row with the thumb)
Wow.. this video shows me that all those multi shifting structure already exists but Campy blocked this with a thin metal bar..

i think also for "beginner" who are not firm with ergopower is it maybe a easier step to get in. I can see both sides and can say it makes sense! For me who is riding campa ergos quiet a while i can't imagine it otherwise... so i was searching for a solution, what was more easy than i thought...
Now we can all be happy + if people can't shift accurate, they can put a 2mm steel pin back in. So nobody loses.
Iam still working on more campa hacks, also converting it to rimbrake in a open source way.
yes, but u need a new 2mm steel pin if u put it out

frankton

by frankton

Anyone hear rumors of wireless Ekar? or wireless record/chorus?

robertbb

by robertbb

frankton wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:30 pm
Anyone hear rumors of wireless Ekar? or wireless record/chorus?
Only rumours at this stage but it's very likely. Who knows when.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Moscone wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:45 pm
Romb1k wrote:
Moscone wrote:
Pyotrump wrote:

yes, but u need a new 2mm steel pin if u put it out
Not necessarily - it depends how you remove it.
We take them out to strip / rebuild the levers from time to time. Very occasionally we need to replace the pin but in most cases, it's not been required.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Any news on Ekar updates and/or WRL version?
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

DHG01

by DHG01

Stefano wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:18 pm
Apologies if this has been covered already- I've been having issues with hand numbness on my Ekar bike. There are these lumps where the shift lever transitions to the handlebar, regardless of how I tape it or set up the shifters in the drops (up/down, angle, etc). The bump is right where the top of the lever transitions into the handlebar.

I've been playing with adding chunks of tape to the gap, changing bar angle, etc. but can't seem to get rid of the bump and the associated hand numbness. I think it has to do with the fact that anything I put in the gap is compressible so the back edge of the shifter pokes through once you put any pressure on the area.

Anybody else experience this and anything that can be done to smooth this out?
Hi Stefano

This happens to me also. It can be quite uncomfortable. I think it's a combination of the handlebars and the lever. My handlebar is proprietary with the Basso Palta frameset. As you say, it is difficult to get a straight transition from handelbar to lever. I sort of fixed it via shifting the handelbars as far down as possible and the levers as far up. Not perfect, but better.
A Zipp type compact bar should further improve.

Volsung

by Volsung

https://performance.tootengineering.com ... /thejason/

Tighter range cassette but doesn't appear to be available without giant chainrings and a chain

Stefano

by Stefano

That cassette looks awesome!!

Would make Ekar such a sweet group for a crit bike.

Stone also sells larger (but not huge) Ekar rings on Aliexpress, so you could do like 46 or 48 with 11-36.

@DHG01, Thanks for your reply. I think I may end up sanding these levers, they are really messing me up.

LarryT

by LarryT

Happy to see some Campy fans here! All of my English-language Campagnolo friend/experts (Dan Large, Joshua Riddle, etc) have retired but I just bought a gravel bike with EKAR. My wife's got Shimano GRX on hers which is OK but as long-time fan of Campagnolo (attended a tech seminar they put on SoCal back in 1988!) I didn't want to go there. So far, so good. What's up with the "DO NOT REMOVE!" on the caliper bolts? Is that just about making sure there's thread-locker on 'em? I've fiddled with 'em on the wife's GRX bikes to align the calipers (so far so good with EKAR in contrast) but wondered WTF? Thanks!
FredV wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:25 pm
Miller wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:02 pm
I've been using Ekar for a year, road and gravel, love it. I'm a long-time Campag user and honestly, I couldn't care less about ultrashift, it's a much over-rated feature. If you want to move down the block rapidly, it's trivial to do multiple fast clicks.
Campag shifting is quite firm, so I don't mind about "overdownshifting" & it reminds my the SRAM XX gripshift on my MTB.

krzn

by krzn

Seems like we will see an updated EKAR on Feb 20! https://www.instagram.com/p/C3c1Z3_taSi

The lever looks very much mechanical, though :(

Hoping for a powermeter option so I can finally get rid of those Garmin Rally pedals.

lightklein2

by lightklein2

I think so too, Lever loosk different then the current one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com