1x Campagnolo Ekar drivetrain

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

DrimeOser wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:56 pm
I think regular Ekar will receive a major update in a year or so but the main change will be to make it wireless. This cheaper, mechanical version does lay the groundwork for this to happen as there would then be a clear difference between the two groups aside from weight.
[/quote]

Now that makes a lot of sense.
[/quote]

But you would think they would be testing that somewhere right? I mean you have a cross guy using SRW instead of EKAR.
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Vespasianus wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:54 pm
But you would think they would be testing that somewhere right? I mean you have a cross guy using SRW instead of EKAR.
Aren't pros running 2x road groups in cx usually?

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

These new Zonda GT's have a claimed weight identical to that of the outgoing C17 and for that you get 6mm wider internal, 5.5mm wider external at the same depth.

They must be using a super high quality aluminium rim with similar properties like DT swiss does in their RR series, HED in their belgiums, Easton in the R90 etc.

Half the price of the carbon Shamals, 2mm wider internal, and only 100g more.

Roel W

by Roel W

robertbb wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:56 am
Roel W wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:19 am
Is it just me or did the Campagnolo Srl Instagram account disappeared?
This link doesn't work anymore, complete Instagram account is also gone:
I'm not saying it's aliens.

But it's aliens.
Seems like I got blocked by Campagnolo Srl....
Should be after I made a critical remark on their over the top teaser of the latest Bora WTO wheels. ("We’re poised for a thrilling new release which is set to revolutionise your cycling experience. We can’t reveal anything just yet – but expect nothing short of cutting-edge innovation and unparalleled performance.")
Positive vibes only! No criticism allowed.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Vespasianus wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:54 pm
DrimeOser wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:56 pm
I think regular Ekar will receive a major update in a year or so but the main change will be to make it wireless. This cheaper, mechanical version does lay the groundwork for this to happen as there would then be a clear difference between the two groups aside from weight.
Now that makes a lot of sense.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Campagnolo don't necessarily do all of their testing in the public gaze ... :-D
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

robertbb

by robertbb

graeme_f_k wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:08 am

Are the new Zonda's going to be available in HG and XDR flavours? I think I remember reading this in one of the "reviews" but can't seem to find it now and noone talks about it....

(Please say yes!) :)

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

robertbb wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:22 am
graeme_f_k wrote:

Are the new Zonda's going to be available in HG and XDR flavours? I think I remember reading this in one of the "reviews" but can't seem to find it now and noone talks about it....

Yes, all the cassette body variations will be available.

It's a new body (same pattern, fits the cassettes the same way) with a steel re-inforcement under the heels of the pawls to cope with the demands of e-Bike, so there *may* be a short delay (weeks only) in availability of HG, XDR versions.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

robertbb

by robertbb

graeme_f_k wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:08 am
robertbb wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:22 am
graeme_f_k wrote:

Yes, all the cassette body variations will be available.

It's a new body (same pattern, fits the cassettes the same way) with a steel re-inforcement under the heels of the pawls to cope with the demands of e-Bike, so there *may* be a short delay (weeks only) in availability of HG, XDR versions.
Epic, this looks like a really good set. Hoping the price in .au lands at or around 1k, much beyond that and it's too close to carbon competition. What's the thinking behind aluminium nips btw, must be weight. Are the nips coated and treated to avoid corrosion?

hectorz

by hectorz

bobrayner wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:39 pm
hectorz wrote: see? it can't be that difficult..
I have two shattered garbageruk chainrings, I might give it a try.
Hectorz, did you have any luck filing down the teeth of third-party chainrings to make them Ekar-compatible?
it's been a while... hehehe I eventually decided to go with SRAM Red XPLR. I've done around 20k km with it and I'm super happy to have made that decision.
Currently on a Crux non-s-works frameset with all good non-spesh parts it's 7.2kg with GP5000 S TR 28c tires on. It could be sub 7 with Ekar but... I prefer electronic wireless.

I can't wait for Campagnolo to make electro-wireless Ekar. Ekar's gear spread plus Magura brakes with non-magura levers on the road bike, that sounds awesome.
Can't wait.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

First gen Campag brakes were developed with Magura input, but Ekar’s are already the 3rd gen after that. Not a single part shared with Maguras.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

DHG01

by DHG01

XCProMD wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:43 am
First gen Campag brakes were developed with Magura input, but Ekar’s are already the 3rd gen after that. Not a single part shared with Maguras.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
So the brakes on the current outgoing Ekar (the one with carbon cranks) is not Magura developed?

Not a fan of disc brakes, but I must say I have no complaints on Ekar brakes.

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

XCProMD wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:43 am
I thought it was second gen. I havent seen what Magura's involvement was with the newer stuff but the barbs & olives are still magura style at a minimum and all the codeveloped bleeding stuff is the same for all Campag hydro which is a good thing (DB-100 / 2651155535).

I've been working on a project to combine Shimano 12s levers with Campag DB-F161 and DB-EK140 so I'd love more info if I'm wrong as this stuff is hard to research.

Magura MT8 FM was the predicate design. Magura MT4 FM is the same with a different color cap and a cheaper heavier pad retaining bolt. Rotor used these calipers with their IX13 groupset and Chris Froome used that caliper with Shimano 11s levers when he came back and took issue with Shimano 11s hydro.

First gen Campag/Magura released with 11s and continued briefly with 12s: DB-F160 (front only 160), DB-R160 ("rear" 160), DB-R140 ("rear" 140)

Second gen released with ekar: DB-EK140 ("rear" 140) adaptable to 160 and front use with adapters similarly to Shimano & SRAM. The new cheaper ekar uses these same calipers.

Second gen used on 12s: DB-F161 (front only 160), DB-R161 ("rear" 160), DB-R141 ("rear" 140). The DB-R141 is the same design as DB-EK140 with different logos.

Second gen used on wireless: Unknown part numbers but looks to be all three calipers listed directly above with new branding and glossy finish.

I have yet to find photos of a box or a listing online for any of the second gen calipers only to see if they list made in Germany (Magura), made in Italy (Campag), or something else. Usually the calipers are sold with the levers and are listed as made in Italy but that doesn't really tell us who is making the calipers or what Magura's involvement is now.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

I don't believe any of the components per se were ever made in Germany. Magura had a consultant role in initial product development.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

RDY

by RDY

Ekar's being heavily discounted now at some EU retailers. Example: https://www.bike-discount.de/de/campagn ... /38t/9-42t

Nearly €750 less than the SRP of the new alu version, for the carbon version. I asked one why the reductions - they didn't say too much except that it was impossible to sell anywhere near the suggested price due to GRX / Rival being below 1k.

Could be being discontinued in favor of an electronic version as some had speculated ... as these are big reductions.

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

RDY wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:17 pm
Ekar's being heavily discounted now at some EU retailers. Example: https://www.bike-discount.de/de/campagn ... /38t/9-42t

Nearly €750 less than the SRP of the new alu version, for the carbon version. I asked one why the reductions - they didn't say too much except that it was impossible to sell anywhere near the suggested price due to GRX / Rival being below 1k.

Could be being discontinued in favor of an electronic version as some had speculated ... as these are big reductions.
You might be right. It was always around $950 before. Merlin is out of most EKAR stuff.

$750 is a steal. Ekar is fantasitc. Just did a race with it today and when covered in mud and muck, the shifting was still perfect. Love this groupset.
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com