New Exploro RaceMax

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aesch

by Aesch

You could try the nextie 29 internal width 45mm height, for something different.
https://www.nextie.com/gravel-AGX-700C

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

alexneumuller wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:21 am
Ordered the Hope Rotors ein 160mm. And have changed my mind on the stem/handlebar: Ordered the Syncros Gravel Creston iC SL X which is a one piece cockpit.

I do have a set of Enve G23 wheels.....but thinking of going more Aero style wheels optimised for 40-42mm tires......question is just which ones?

Any recommendation?
Beast GR40
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevinw

by kevinw

eajohnson wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:23 pm
For those with this bike, what are your plans for dealing with water ingress in the left leg of the fork? There doesn't seem to be a drain hole. One option is do nothing and turn the bike upside down after riding in the wet (I've confirmed the left fork leg is open to the steerer tube, if you blow into the steerer air comes out the brake line holes). Another option is to seal one or both of the brake line entrances aroudn the brake hose for example with silicone (and maybe put a release agent on the frame to ensure you're not gluing the brake hose and fork together in a non-reversible way). Doing this on both ends might create a bit of a maintenance issue making it difficult to replace the brake hose, so one end only such as only the top might be preferable. On my existing gravel bike any place moving/vibrating cables touch the frame, there is substantial wear so a 'do nothing' could result in widening of the brake hose entrace/exit holes (old bike is at 23000km now but wear was significant after as little as 15000km). The contant exposure to dirt and dust from gravel probably contributes to this, gravel kms are not the same as road kms in terms of bike wear and maintenance. I think inverting the bike after any ride in rain would be a good idea regardless of whether any gaskets are created around the brake hose.
I just cut my fork and a surprising amout of water came out considering i havent ridden it in the rain yet (although i have hosed it down once).

Shame it doesnt have a drain hole and i'm not sure inverting the bike will help much unless you take the fork expander out - seems pretty water-tight with it fitted.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Good news is that wheels & handlebar has arrived…..plus pretty much everything else. Only thing missing is the 3T Toro Crank & a Saddle (have not chosen a saddle yet)

This bike will come with me to Mallorca….so thought 40mm Schwalbe G-One Allround should cover most things. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

FreeZ

by FreeZ

Any Racemax owners have tried the new Crux too? How it compare in terms of comfort? Struggling between those two options.

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

No direct comparison, but a local mechanic told me that the Exploro has about zero compliance and will beat you up on rough courses.

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

-

kevinw

by kevinw

I agree that the exploro frame is harsh - but thats what the 2.25 tyres are for.

FreeZ

by FreeZ

Thanks for info! It seems that Crux might be better all rounder then.

Just looking for one bike which can handle some road and gravel.

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

Crux might be the way to go if you are looking for compliance. I think boxy aero tubes simply don't flex much, same goes for road bikes.

tjoerd

by tjoerd

FreeZ wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:32 pm
Thanks for info! It seems that Crux might be better all rounder then.

Just looking for one bike which can handle some road and gravel.
Hi Freez, fwiw: the exploro racemax is indeed a stiff ride (called harsh by some), but since I've changed to a tubeless setup with Roval wheels and the new conti tyres in 28mm the level of comfort has gone up and is seriously okay. It is more or less comparable to that of the Aurum Magma, which was setup with inner tubes.
However, given the frame design one might expect the Crux to be more allround indeed.

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

Hi, has anyone tryed to fit the new Specialized S-Works Pathfinder in to Exploro Race Max? I did try the earlyer version of Patfinder but it did not fit...

Josku

by Josku

I do have a bit more than year ago bought Pathfinders in my Racemax. 38mm.

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

Yes 38mm fits but 42mm not and I understood that the new S-works wersion comes only on 42mm...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emotive

by emotive

kampiakseli wrote:Yes 38mm fits but 42mm not and I understood that the new S-works wersion comes only on 42mm...
The S-works Pathfinder 42mm are about 2mm wider than the Pathfinder Pro 42mm.