New Exploro RaceMax

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Miles253

by Miles253

talentdeficient wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:22 pm
Miles253 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:08 am
talentdeficient wrote:Framesets from 3T EU originally due beginning of Sept, then Oct... and now December. Sad times!
Where did you hear that!? Last I heard it was end of October! Image. I ordered mine from 3T directly...

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Sorry Miles, missed this. Heard it from 3T themselves, although it may be size specific I guess - I've ordered a size massive.
I actually heard from them this week, it has arrived in Italy! So I should have it next week.

I was thinking about buying a one piece to go on it, the Canyon one is nice, light and got a short reach. Anyone got any recommendations? Is it a stupid idea?

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/gear/compo ... be=BK%2FGY
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KyleH

by KyleH

3t did a great job with these color ways. Not a big red fan, but that red/white combo is awesome addition to the more earth tone options.

MattMay

by MattMay

AZR3 wrote:Just hear back from 3T, if anyone with a first gen Exploro is interested in the Racemax's seat post itll be available in mid-late Sept
Still waiting for that because I definitely want one. They pushed it end of October, but that’s today and still no sign of it...radio silence in response to a few emails to 3T. Covid is resurgent in Europe so probably to be expected.

crlincoln

by crlincoln

MattMay wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:03 pm
AZR3 wrote:Just hear back from 3T, if anyone with a first gen Exploro is interested in the Racemax's seat post itll be available in mid-late Sept
Still waiting for that because I definitely want one. They pushed it end of October, but that’s today and still no sign of it...radio silence in response to a few emails to 3T. Covid is resurgent in Europe so probably to be expected.
I was talking with my LBS this week and the amount of movement of everything with 3T is huge at the moment, from specs changing to stuff slipping out... he's now moved to doing direct B2B business with them rather than via. UK supplier and it's challenging.... he had a customer who switched to a Strada as the was so much uncertainty with stock and dates (it was the new Campag version and it's a stunning paint job).

But he is also seeing issues across all supply chains at the moment...

Ypuh

by Ypuh

I'm considering to buy a 3T Exploro RaceMax frameset and built it up mainly as a road bike (2x11 Etap).

Why?:
- I want a disc bike with room for slightly bigger tyres
- The geometry is spot on for me (this is most important)
- Like the looks
- Future options (i.e. converting to 650B) with lot of extra clearance
- Zero offset seatpost as standard

There are more bikes that fit those needs. The Trek Emonda (size up), BMC RoadMachine, Cervelo R3 and Parlee Altum Disc to name a few, but each have at least 1 drawback that is a bit of showstopper (outgoing model, still limited clearance, price, extra costs for zero offset post, proprietary stems etc).

Main arguments against the Exploro RaceMax are that it's heavy for the intended use, and there's some 'aero' overlap with my other bike (Cervelo S3) which I'm never going to sell.

Can someone share some of their experiences with their 3T Exploro (RaceMax)? Any major drawbacks, design flaws, unpleasant riding experiences? For example can I fit a 50-34 crankset? Or any other (annoying) proprietary parts next to the headset and seatpost?
JHeiro wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:31 pm

BikeAhead Biturbo Road wheelset (1150g)
Those are some extremely cool wheels (and bike)! Read somewhere you're considering replacing them? Feel free so send me a PB when you're contemplating to sell them.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

JHeiro

by JHeiro

Ypuh wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:30 pm
I'm considering to buy a 3T Exploro RaceMax frameset and built it up mainly as a road bike (2x11 Etap).

Why?:
- I want a disc bike with room for slightly bigger tyres
- The geometry is spot on for me (this is most important)
- Like the looks
- Future options (i.e. converting to 650B) with lot of extra clearance
- Zero offset seatpost as standard

There are more bikes that fit those needs. The Trek Emonda (size up), BMC RoadMachine, Cervelo R3 and Parlee Altum Disc to name a few, but each have at least 1 drawback that is a bit of showstopper (outgoing model, still limited clearance, price, extra costs for zero offset post, proprietary stems etc).

Main arguments against the Exploro RaceMax are that it's heavy for the intended use, and there's some 'aero' overlap with my other bike (Cervelo S3) which I'm never going to sell.

Can someone share some of their experiences with their 3T Exploro (RaceMax)? Any major drawbacks, design flaws, unpleasant riding experiences? For example can I fit a 50-34 crankset? Or any other (annoying) proprietary parts next to the headset and seatpost?
JHeiro wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:31 pm

BikeAhead Biturbo Road wheelset (1150g)
Those are some extremely cool wheels (and bike)! Read somewhere you're considering replacing them? Feel free so send me a PB when you're contemplating to sell them.
I posted some of my impressions on this topic a couple of months ago.

As for road use, I can't really find a fault on the Exploro Racemax. There might be lighter and more nimble bikes around, but overall I could easily live with the Racemax as my only road bike. It's fast, stiff, handles nicely, and adequately comfortable. For reference, my road fleet includes among others Cervelo R5 & S5, Pinarello Dogma, Storck Fascenario, BMC Teammachine.

Clearance with 50-34 is tight (at least with SRAM Red). It fits, but 52-36 definitely wouldn't.

The BikeAhead wheels are very stiff and light, but the're also harsh riding. No so much of a problem with gravel tyres though. I actually have three different wheelsets for my Exploro Racemax. The super-wide 3T 45/40 clearly offers the best ride feel.

nottyfruit

by nottyfruit

What a Lovely bike JHeiro. Beautifully set up as well. What size is the bike?

basurper

by basurper

JHeiro wrote:
I actually have three different wheelsets for my Exploro Racemax. The super-wide 3T 45/40 clearly offers the best ride feel.

Image[/quote]

As you change between the 3 wheelset, do you have to re-setting the RD?

Because in my understanding each hub have their own dimension which will affect the shifting quality.

Or you have the same hub for all 3 wheelsets?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

JHeiro

by JHeiro

nottyfruit wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:24 am
Thanks! 56cm.

All wheelsets have different hubs. Apparently Carbon-Ti on the 3T Discus and Tune hub on BikeAhead Biturbos have identical dimensions, so no need to adjust shifting or brakes. DT240 on the Enve wheelset requires both. The again it's a 5 minute job so no big deal.

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

JHeiro wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:34 pm
nottyfruit wrote:
Thanks! 56cm.

All wheelsets have different hubs. Apparently Carbon-Ti on the 3T Discus and Tune hub on BikeAhead Biturbos have identical dimensions, so no need to adjust shifting or brakes. DT240 on the Enve wheelset requires both. The again it's a 5 minute job so no big deal.
How tall are you? What size has worked well for you on other road bikes?

Ypuh

by Ypuh

The 3T Exploro RaceMax is very similar to the Canyon Endurace, Cervelo S3/R3/Caledonia, Bianchi Intenso, Giant Defy and slightly more race oriented than a Roubaix, Domane, RoadMachine or Synapse.

All in all it should fit most cyclist well, altough it is quite aggressive for a gravelbike. General sizing is equal to other brands.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

Dubadai

by Dubadai

JHeiro wrote:
nottyfruit wrote:
Thanks! 56cm.

Also interested in your meaasurements since I have ordered a 56 as well.

What BB to saddle height do you run? :)

Also, if you have the time and energy, do you mind posting some more images of the cockpit and how you dragged the cables and hoses? How far down can you get the handlebars if you need to pack the bike etc?

I will be using it for gravel at home, and on the road during travelling. Do you have any weights on it with road wheels and tires on? :)

Thanks a lot!
S-Works Venge 2020
S-works Aethos
Specialized Diverge 2021

JHeiro

by JHeiro

Dubadai wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:01 am
JHeiro wrote:
nottyfruit wrote:
Thanks! 56cm.

Also, if you have the time and energy, do you mind posting some more images of the cockpit and how you dragged the cables and hoses? How far down can you get the handlebars if you need to pack the bike etc?

I will be using it for gravel at home, and on the road during travelling. Do you have any weights on it with road wheels and tires on? :)

Thanks a lot!
I'm 179cm/65kg, 84cm inseam, very long arms for my height. My road bikes are 54cm or 55cm with 110mm or 120mm stem - I like to go long and low on the road. I also have short thighs and long lower legs. My saddle height is 765mm, and I run my saddle quite far front. Knee and ankle problems also contribute to this.

My Exploro Racemax is 56cm with 420x100mm barstem combo. 5mm spacer under the stem. The riding position would be a bit too high purely for road riding but for mixed road and gravel it's pretty much perfect. Don't have a proper image where I'm riding it, but this one with me on my Cervélo S5 might give some idea. Saddle height and reach are identical, only the handlebar is 2cm lower on the Cervélo.

A couple of images on cable routing. Sorry about the mediocre quality.

Dubadai

by Dubadai

Hey! Thanks for the images and all the information. Really looks dope, especially in that colorway :) I have to say also that the handbar combo really suits the lines on the bike, and look a lot better than the original stem and handlebar that are on the stock bikes.

I run 773mm BB to saddle and ordered a 56 as well, should be perfect! :) Also got knee issues so saddle is pretty far forward, and cleats back to stabalize.

Since you mentioned knee issues, what pedals are you running?

Thanks again :)
JHeiro wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:48 am
Dubadai wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:01 am
JHeiro wrote:
nottyfruit wrote:
Thanks! 56cm.

Thanks a lot!
I'm 179cm/65kg, 84cm inseam, very long arms for my height. My road bikes are 54cm or 55cm with 110mm or 120mm stem - I like to go long and low on the road. I also have short thighs and long lower legs. My saddle height is 765mm, and I run my saddle quite far front. Knee and ankle problems also contribute to this.

My Exploro Racemax is 56cm with 420x100mm barstem combo. 5mm spacer under the stem. The riding position would be a bit too high purely for road riding but for mixed road and gravel it's pretty much perfect. Don't have a proper image where I'm riding it, but this one with me on my Cervélo S5 might give some idea. Saddle height and reach are identical, only the handlebar is 2cm lower on the Cervélo.

A couple of images on cable routing. Sorry about the mediocre quality.

S-Works Venge 2020
S-works Aethos
Specialized Diverge 2021

sbish

by sbish

Anyone let me know how to add images on the board?

Here's mine. Currently c.6.6kg with 32mm road tyres, 6.8kg with 38mm knobblies. Still fiddling with the spec can add full details if anyone's interested. It's a seriously fast & fun bike. I would recommend against the 3T cranks which have some serious design issues.

https://imgur.com/a/DBsROq8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com