Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alejogon

by Alejogon

BikeTyson wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:32 pm
It's funny you said they don't excel on asphalt because they're one of the fastest gravel tires out there right now. Tested a good bit faster than the Pathfinders.
That's how I feel them :noidea: . I have seen on BRR they have a couple watts lower resistance on all pressure levels, if that's the test you mean. Nonetheless I feel them less comfortable and that may affect my perception and increase my willingness to change tires, just deciding which one to pick

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Alejogon wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:41 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:32 pm
It's funny you said they don't excel on asphalt because they're one of the fastest gravel tires out there right now. Tested a good bit faster than the Pathfinders.
That's how I feel them :noidea: . I have seen on BRR they have a couple watts lower resistance on all pressure levels, if that's the test you mean. Nonetheless I feel them less comfortable and that may affect my perception and increase my willingness to change tires, just deciding which one to pick
Oh yea, I mean at the end of the day if you don't like them then don't run them. None of us on here are getting paid to ride certain products. I bought them specifically because they're so fast. Like you, most of my rides have a lot of tarmac and I wanted something fast. I always hated the slow feeling of gravel tires on tarmac. In that regard I've been really happy with the RS. They're a fast tire and I haven't felt any disadvantage off road either. But I won't argue the subjective feeling one may have for one tire vs another. You gotta pick what you like.

StijnPiel10

by StijnPiel10

Current:
Road: SW Tarmac SL7 - 7.2kg
Gravel: SW Crux - build in progress

robinbatman

by robinbatman

Seen quite a few of aethos , and crux with reduced prices, wich make them at a decent price finally
i don't see much place to improve without loosing the simpler shapes, external hoses etc wich I like

My friend is a spe bike shop tell me in may , they'll have sale on crux stuff.
I don't think it's just overstock
so finally maybe a small or big update

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

I heard Aethos update this year, Crux next year.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Some small changes to the rig. Bigger chainrings (50/34t) and a spider power meter. The Magene cranks have the added benefit of a slightly longer spindle than Shimano so I was able to fit a spacer on the driveside and there's ton of room between the chainring and chainstay. Probably could fit a 36t honestly which would be cool to run 46/36t for cross. Also went down to narrower bars (40cm) from 42. I'm running 38s on my road bike so the 42s always felt super wide. Need to get some matching cages.

Petz

by Petz

A new Crux joined the family 😁
Size 58 and Size 52, 7.6 and 7.4kg.

Treptay

by Treptay

A super light build from Twisted Wheels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C808YbeqXx0

TwistedWheels

by TwistedWheels

Thought I'd share my Crux S-Works build here, but Treptay has alrady posted it 😃

Anyway, if you haven't watched the video yet, please do. I'm describing everything I've done with it in detail :arrow:

I've hidden all cables inside the frame, had it custom-painted with Cerakote finish and modified quite a few parts, plus used some lightweight parts that were not released yet, like Bjorn Cycles gravel G-Rool and Garbaruk 10-44T gravel cassette.

The weight is quite a bit below 6 kg including pedals, bottle cage and a garmin mount while having 2" tyres, 4-pot callipers, 160mm rotors, wide tubeless wheels, 12-speed Sram AXS groupset and even a bar tape :lol:

Check it out! :beerchug:

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Your Crux is amazing! Thank you for making these fantastic videos also. This is exactly what I would like in a Crux myself. Well done sir!

Matt

TwistedWheels

by TwistedWheels

mattcooke wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:21 am
Your Crux is amazing! Thank you for making these fantastic videos also. This is exactly what I would like in a Crux myself. Well done sir!
Thanks Matt!

CRux is a great bike and you can get it below 6.5 kg very easily.

StijnPiel10

by StijnPiel10

Petz wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:51 am

A new Crux joined the family 😁
Size 58 and Size 52, 7.6 and 7.4kg.
Awesome. You have a SRAM Force 2X setup on the 58cm? Any issues fitting that? What are you running on the back?
Current:

StijnPiel10

by StijnPiel10

Does anyone know if a regular SRAM Red AXS front derailleur would fit with 46/33 chainrings?

If I'm reading this page it seems like it fits "with minimal clearance", but on other builds I've seen people say it only works with the XPLR/Wide derailleurs.

https://support.specialized.com/crux/en ... ain-brakes
Current:

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

StijnPiel10 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:19 pm
Does anyone know if a regular SRAM Red AXS front derailleur would fit with 46/33 chainrings?

If I'm reading this page it seems like it fits "with minimal clearance", but on other builds I've seen people say it only works with the XPLR/Wide derailleurs.

https://support.specialized.com/crux/en ... ain-brakes
Should be fine since RD has nothing to do with FD and chainring choice with regards to clearance

The issue is how close the inner chainring gets to the chainstay and how close the FD gets to the tire

Reading the chart correctly it states that with regular cranks (ie non-wide) and the regular FD (non-wide) and a 46/33 chainring there's "minimal clearance," so it will work but with less clearance. For the 50/37 rings, since they require a special FD which sits higher on the FD hanger the tire clearance is limited to 42mm size.

dtm311

by dtm311

Red FD works fine with 46/33 rings on the Crux, you can see mine with that setup a few pages back.

one important thing I learned: apparently sram makes two different bolt designs for their 2x 104bcd cranks, and I initially used a bolt with a taller head. Damaged the frame during a sprint workout (I think this is why the same bolt hit every time, and I ride a 61cm so it's gotta be the least stiff Crux), but no damage worse than chain suck.

I've gotten 1000 miles and a couple races with no issues since using the lower profile bolts I found. I'm going to a 1 piece Force PM to get a bit more clearance. In any case, 2x limits you to 40mm tires or so because of the AXS battery, and bolts aside, I wouldn't run 2x in a muddy environment because the 33t only has about 3mm of clearance on mine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com