Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

tonytourist

by tonytourist

texano999 wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:27 pm
not possible to install 2X shimano
What do you mean? I run GRX 2x on my Crux, my friend runs Ultegra 8170 on his.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Daneincph

by Daneincph

Anyone has or has seen the Gloss Carbon/Smoke/Grey Granite colour in person and can share photos or description. I find it very difficult to imagine it based on the frame only studio photo on website

https://assets.specialized.com/i/specia ... 0&fmt=auto

stevesbike

by stevesbike

tonytourist wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:01 pm
texano999 wrote:
the new crux is only compatible with 2x electronic systems, not mechanical.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

stevesbike wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:59 am
tonytourist wrote:
texano999 wrote:
I thought that it had the same rouiting and cable ports as the Aethos (which takes mechanical). No?

tonytourist

by tonytourist

stevesbike wrote:
Yeah but the comment is "not possible to install 2X shimano", not mechanical vs di2. Since fbonde is running electronic shifting anyway I doubt that's an issue. :beerchug:

Maddie

by Maddie

stevesbike wrote:
tonytourist wrote:
texano999 wrote:
Nope. Both S-Works and Specialized Crux frames have the opening for mechanical shifting on the downtube

stevesbike

by stevesbike

that opening on the downtube is for a dropper post. Specialized is explicit in their user manual that mechanical shifting is rear derailleur only - there's no routing for a front mech derailleur and using the di2 port wouldn't work.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

jadedaid wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:19 pm
What's your take on the previous gen crux and oppen upper versus the Routt 45? Looking forward to the feedback on the new Crux too. I'm guessing carbon durability on gravel bikes is a non-issue these days, but I'd still be interested in real life feedback.
I'd say the previous-gen Crux and Upper rode very similarly. Obviously there were geo differences (esp. the seat tube and trail) but overall they "felt" very much alike on the road and when riding similar tires. The Open obviously had more tire clearance and 650b capability, but overall they were as close to each other as possible. Very solid feeling under power, tarmac steering was sharp, grade 1 and 2 gravel handling superb, grade 3 and above is where it got a bit jarring. The Open has a pretty flexible fork so front comfort was better than the Crux, along with ability to use bigger tires. But the Crux had more exposed seatpost which aided a bit in rear-end compliance.

Both frames are VERY light, which lead to a nice "flickability" and playfulness when off-road. Moving both frames under your body was incredibly easy since their both light and stiff. so there's some liveliness that comes from that maneuverability as opposed to any inhering springiness or bounce from the frame, if that makes sense.

One thing I hated about the Crux was the lack of 650b and larger 700c capability (40mm measured tires really only fit on the rear with about 3-4mm clear), and also the BB was a tad bit high IMO, especially since it was a solid-feeling ride. And on the Upper, really like the ride but the geo is kind of weird (seat tube too shallow, limited sizing options, trail vs reach vs front center always seemed off) and the reported issues of chain drops is 100% real which killed the ride. Also the Open had other fit/finish issues which shouldn't be there on a $4500 frame, full stop.

The Routt 45 is in a word, smooth. Definitely not as stiff as the carbon offerings, but when it flexes for whatever reason everything is flexing in a manner that's predictable and wanted. The ride isn't "bouncy" or "floaty" where you're disconnected from the ground, but rather it absorbs bumps but also gives some rebound/kickback where you can use the frame to adjust the handling at different obstacles. The newer models have more progressive geo, which might or might not work for you depending on the terrain, but by going longer/slacker it appears to be more focused on off-road riding. Frame was a bit of a porker at 1700g for a 56, but feels lighter when riding. Fit and finish are excellent. Supposedly the RSL has slightly racier geometry and is a bit lighter, but I never had a chance to ride one.

Hoping the new Crux can split the difference between the Crux/Upper and Routt 45. My previous Merlin Sandstone almost did, but was more towards the Crux/Upper ride feel side of the spectrum even though it was Ti. Given that the Sandstone is designed around large 700c tires (it could fit a 48mm measured with 7mm clear) maybe some of the rebound/kickback/playfulness was supposed to come from the tires, but I personally rather have large 650b capability vs 700c. 700x42 and 650x2.1 I've found is my sweetspot for gravel tire max.

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

Hey guys. Picked up a brand new 2021 crux frame. Question is hydro cable routing. My frame has the cups already installed on the bottom bracket. How does one fish the hydro line through the chainstay past the bottom bracket and up to the exit/entry point near the front of the bike? Are there internal guides or none? Do i have to pop the bb cups out to route into the downtube then reinstall cups?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

naked 3po, the first weight weenie.

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

I would suggest getting an internal routing tool (Park Tool's is a good one) and try to get the wire head from the chainstay over the bb and up the downtube. Then pull back the brake hose down towards the chainstay.

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

TheDoctor wrote:I would suggest getting an internal routing tool (Park Tool's is a good one) and try to get the wire head from the chainstay over the bb and up the downtube. Then pull back the brake hose down towards the chainstay.
Ok. Will do. Thanks.

fa63

by fa63

TheDoctor wrote:I would suggest getting an internal routing tool (Park Tool's is a good one) and try to get the wire head from the chainstay over the bb and up the downtube. Then pull back the brake hose down towards the chainstay.
Yep, did this exactly yesterday as I switched from SRAM Rival 1 to Force AXS on my Crux. I did have to carefully pull the new line through around the BB area, but other than that, it was very straightforward.

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

fa63 wrote:
Yep, did this exactly yesterday as I switched from SRAM Rival 1 to Force AXS on my Crux. I did have to carefully pull the new line through around the BB area, but other than that, it was very straightforward.
Did you have to cut off the fitting on the caliper side and then reinstall the fitting after feeding the line through? Also, did you use foam sleeving to prevent rattling?

allrandomletters

by allrandomletters

One more thing to note - the 2021 Crux has a solid carbon shell inside the bottom bracket. Even if you popped out the BB cups, you would still have no access.

Another trick might be to use string and a vacuum. Hold the suction hose over the hole and feed the string through the frame until the hose sucks the string out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

stevesbike wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:43 pm
that opening on the downtube is for a dropper post. Specialized is explicit in their user manual that mechanical shifting is rear derailleur only - there's no routing for a front mech derailleur and using the di2 port wouldn't work.
They are also explicit in the chainring size - according to their compatibility chart you can't run a 50/34. I suspect it's a chainline issue with 50/34 chainsets being a few mm more inboard than smaller rings found on SRAM, GRX and eKar groups.