Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

nitrokermit

by nitrokermit

Adding my S-Works frame as a follow-up to the post from sdb. Bought late 2022 and build up over the winter.

Gloss Carbon / Chameleon Silver Green Granite / Limestone Speckle
Very hard to find anywhere, but you'll find it in certain countries on Specialized website: https://www.specialized.com/be/fr/kit-c ... 133-199958

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nick676

by nick676

I've fancied one of these since it came out but could never justify the price. Now that they're starting to appear with discounts, I'm considering getting a Comp for around £3000 and swapping the wheels and groupset from my gradually upgraded 2019 TCX Advanced (SRAM XPLR 1x, Red 22 Cranks etc)... Should this all be a pretty straightforward process?

Once I sell the old bike with the components from the Crux, I think it will been the cheapest way to make this upgrade, given Crux frames are still selling for around £2900.

Anything else I need to watch out for with this plan?

duffaux

by duffaux

nick676 wrote:I've fancied one of these since it came out but could never justify the price. Now that they're starting to appear with discounts, I'm considering getting a Comp for around £3000 and swapping the wheels and groupset from my gradually upgraded 2019 TCX Advanced (SRAM XPLR 1x, Red 22 Cranks etc)... Should this all be a pretty straightforward process?

Once I sell the old bike with the components from the Crux, I think it will been the cheapest way to make this upgrade, given Crux frames are still selling for around £2900.

Anything else I need to watch out for with this plan?
I have just do the same
7,1 kg on Road mode

7,7 kg gravel mode

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

nick676

by nick676

Looks great! Did the cranks swap over easily enough, both are GXP, right?

How have you found the differences between them? I'm 170cm tall and my Giant is an M, probably was a bit big for me, so am using an 80mm stem - not sure if I'll need the Crux in a 52 or 49.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

OnTheRivet wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:46 pm
Do you ride that in the dirt? Those fragile parts and the bottle ejecting cages would last about 5 miles on the dirt road around here.
You eject bottles with Arundel Mandibles? I've only lost one bottle using these cages on road/gravel/mtb. The only fragile part on the bike is the Darimo seat post and if I wanted to ride MTB trails on a gravel bike (wrong tool for the job IMO) then I would likely swap it out to something sturdier. The MCFK saddle has held up for me and survived MTB trails that caused a S Works Power saddle to crack. Haven't been on the dirt lately but I have plenty of options nearby that are a good time :beerchug:

Karvalo

by Karvalo

PeteAus wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:40 pm
No I really need to blame myself. I should have contacted Specialized before I bought the bike and asked them for a copy of the owners manual.
Why contact them? The manuals are on the Specialized website in full view for anyone who cares to look and they clearly state the bike is 1x mechanical only. Since you're clearly willing to spend a bunch of time doing research it's wierd you didn't do the easiest and most obvious research first. Ah well, it's a learning experience.

I'd still follow up with the shop who told you it was doable though - if the bikes still in a state you can return it, anyway.

scatsob

by scatsob

Finally got all the parts here in Bahrain to have my "forever" bike built. 58cm example in that carbon speckled tan finish. Shimano 105 7100 34/50 with 11-34 for road and 11-36 for gravel. Can't wait to ride it but unfortunately summer arrived already and daytime riding is a nogo.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zmjones

by zmjones

Gavin929 wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:31 am
RyanH wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:45 pm
I'm kind of scratching my head on this as I almost feel like I installed this wrong but with the Dub Quarq (3mm spacer DS) there's quite a lot of space with a 52/36 (FSA) chainset:

Here's with 50/34 MKV Rings:

I just tried the newest quarq dub dfour model with shimano dura ace 52/36 chainrings and it does not fit. The inside of the 36 tooth chaining will rub the frame. The teeth clear just fine. It's the actual inside of the chainring that rubs.

Is your crankset the quarq Dzero 5 bolt with 110bcd?

I'm guessing that shimano spaced cranks/chainrings will rub just like mine was with the 3mm spacer installed properly. Again, it's the actual chainring near the bolts that rub and not the teeth that touch.

I'm trying to figure out which crankset to get as I'm not sold on 48/31 grx for the riding I'm going to do. It's mostly the 31 tooth that I would like to be a bit bigger.
was this definitely answered? i just ordered a frame and would like to use my dfour dub with 50/34 9100 rings. i've seen plenty of people running 50/34 9100 rings, but not on that exact crank.

FuelForThought

by FuelForThought

stlrider wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:33 pm
Having some weird shudder with the front brake I can't seem to get rid of. Changed pads, different rotors, tightened the headset preload a bit more beyond just removing play, doesn't matter.
Some problem here. I have changed rotors, pads, headset and the shudder persists. Things did get better with the latest combo of Wolftooth/Enduro headset + Shimano L05A pads + Shimano RT-CL900 rotor. But the shudder comes back at the most innoportune moment, i.e. under very hard braking before entering a technical section or tricky corner. Has anyone else experienced this issue and solved it?

kode54

by kode54

Check your headset preload. Could have a little play that may introduce some shudder.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

tonytourist wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 6:04 pm
OnTheRivet wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:46 pm
Do you ride that in the dirt? Those fragile parts and the bottle ejecting cages would last about 5 miles on the dirt road around here.
You eject bottles with Arundel Mandibles? I've only lost one bottle using these cages on road/gravel/mtb. The only fragile part on the bike is the Darimo seat post and if I wanted to ride MTB trails on a gravel bike (wrong tool for the job IMO) then I would likely swap it out to something sturdier. The MCFK saddle has held up for me and survived MTB trails that caused a S Works Power saddle to crack. Haven't been on the dirt lately but I have plenty of options nearby that are a good time :beerchug:
Same...I have a Darimo seatpost on my gravel bike, plus Mandibles. Like you, I'm more concerned about the Darimo over the Mandibles. LOL
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FuelForThought

by FuelForThought

kode54 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:10 pm
Check your headset preload. Could have a little play that may introduce some shudder.
Oh yes, I spent plenty of time adjusting the headset, even moving to an all metal headset from Wolftooth as I was worried that the plastic parts may have too much play. The headset upgrade and propoer adjustment did help but did not completely solve fork shuddering.

zmjones

by zmjones

zmjones wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 6:40 pm
Gavin929 wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:31 am
RyanH wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:45 pm
I'm kind of scratching my head on this as I almost feel like I installed this wrong but with the Dub Quarq (3mm spacer DS) there's quite a lot of space with a 52/36 (FSA) chainset:

Here's with 50/34 MKV Rings:

I just tried the newest quarq dub dfour model with shimano dura ace 52/36 chainrings and it does not fit. The inside of the 36 tooth chaining will rub the frame. The teeth clear just fine. It's the actual inside of the chainring that rubs.

Is your crankset the quarq Dzero 5 bolt with 110bcd?

I'm guessing that shimano spaced cranks/chainrings will rub just like mine was with the 3mm spacer installed properly. Again, it's the actual chainring near the bolts that rub and not the teeth that touch.

I'm trying to figure out which crankset to get as I'm not sold on 48/31 grx for the riding I'm going to do. It's mostly the 31 tooth that I would like to be a bit bigger.
was this definitely answered? i just ordered a frame and would like to use my dfour dub with 50/34 9100 rings. i've seen plenty of people running 50/34 9100 rings, but not on that exact crank.
frame does work with a quarq dfour91 dub and 9100 50/34 rings and the standard 3mm ds spacer. might add .5-1mm extra but looks like it isn't an issue.

nick676

by nick676

I'm really unsure of BB standards, so is anyone able to confirm what bottom bracket I need to run Easton EC90 SL with a 2022 Crux? Is it just a case of getting the right BB and everything should fit, or will I also need a different spindle or spacers etc?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

nick676 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 4:01 pm
I'm really unsure of BB standards, so is anyone able to confirm what bottom bracket I need to run Easton EC90 SL with a 2022 Crux? Is it just a case of getting the right BB and everything should fit, or will I also need a different spindle or spacers etc?
BSA30 bottom bracket and the Easton's preload adjuster should take up the excess space on the NDS