Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

rolfo

by rolfo

TheDoctor wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:42 am
rolfo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:28 am
Hi Fellow bikers,

I'm want to go for a Specialized Crux and found a 52cm and a 54cm (pretty rare ;-).

I have a Specialized Aethos in size 54, so first choice would be a 54. But if I look at the stack and reach a 52 would also be possible:

- 54cm: 100 stem and 5 mm spacers under stem.
- 52cm: 110 stem and 15mm spacers under stem.

Should I go for the 54cm as adviced by Specialized (long reach short stem plan)? Or go for a 52cm as I'm looking for and Aethos with fat tires which rides as a road bike (which I ride a lot on the road ;-)

Thanks!
FWIW, I have a Tarmac SL6 and a Crux both in 54, saw no need to size down. In case you're looking at an S-Works frame that comes with the Alpinist seatpost, do consider your saddle height as well. The stock Alpinist post length on these frame sizes is "only" 300mm with an 80mm min. insertion. If you have a relative large saddle height that might be an issue with the 52.
Would something indeed to consider. I would go for the pro frame and there is a terra post included, but I'll check thanks!

steveadore

by steveadore

A couple of questions regarding the Crux 2018-21. I got hold of the official spare parts list here: https://support.specialized.com/crux/en ... ment-parts
But I am confused by several items and wonder if these are all supposed to be included with every bike/frame as it could be tricky to source them if they are proprietary:
1. There is this "dogbone" shaped washer for the rear flat mount caliper: S170700001. Supposedly it's the same part for the Roubaix and Venge (MY17) too. Can the rear brake caliper only be installed with this special washer?
2. Then there are the lockrings for the disc brake rotors. S200700002. These look like regular Shimano centerlock lockrings with internal serration, so I'm wondering what the deal is here? The Spec. part nr. is given for KCNC lockrings (without the KCNC logo). Are these some unique size specifically designed for the 12mm thru axles? I recall some discussions about certain DT Swiss 240 road hubs not being compatible with internal serration Shimano lockrings and the external serration Shimano is apparently too thick so may rub the fork. Is everyone using these KCNC lockrings with their MY18-21 Crux?
3. There's also a special cable guide for the front derailleur to be installed under the BB (inside, that is, under the black rectangular cover on the bottom of the frame?) S186500009. Did this part come with 1x equipped Crux bikes? Or is it sth. one needs to buy separately if one feels like running a front derailleur?
4. The parts list also includes an internal cable foam liner ("churro"), which the Crux also shares with the Epic etc. meant to prevent cable rattling noise, I guess. Was this installed from the factory or included with the Crux in the box?
5. Lastly, for front derailleurs, apparently Specialized recommended the use of a reducer shim (34.9mm to 31.8mm) to be used with a 34.9mm clamp FD. So a 31.8mm clamp FD is not supposed to be installed directly. Is that because of the front mech cage potentially rubbing the rear tire? Or is the reason structural: sth. to do with the smaller FD clamp crushing the seat tube? And if I wanted to use my current braze-on GRX FD on this frame (instead of buying a new clamp version), do I need to get a 34.9mm clamp with braze-on adapter + reducer shim to 31.8mm? Or could I use a narrower diameter 31.8mm clamp with braze-on adapter directly? I don't plan to use tires wider than 38mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

allrandomletters

by allrandomletters

1. The dogbone washer is mounted on the bottom side of the chainstay, underneath the bolt heads - opposite side of the stay from the caliper. I imagine normal washers could be installed underneath the bolt heads, but the dogbone washer would provide more surface area for spreading bolt clamp force.
2.I've used normal Shimano lock rings with both DTSwiss 350 hubs and 240 EXP hubs, no issues with clearance or rubbing with either. My Crux came from the factory with SRAM Force Centerline discs and Shimano lockrings.
3. My Crux had only the black rubber cover under the bottom bracket. The cable guide would replace the cover for the hole underneath the bottom bracket. Needed if you want a front derailleaur.
4. Should be included. Not installed until brake lines are run through the frame, since it is placed on the rear hydro brake line.
5. Get the reducer shim. I think this is recommended by Specialized for structural reasons - to spread and reduce the clamping force.

You can't really use tires much wider than 38mm on the rear anyways. The largest tires I have managed to fit without clearance issues is the Continental TerraSpeed 40 (which are slightly undersized).

steveadore

by steveadore

allrandomletters wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:28 pm
1. The dogbone washer is mounted on the bottom side of the chainstay, underneath the bolt heads - opposite side of the stay from the caliper. I imagine normal washers could be installed underneath the bolt heads, but the dogbone washer would provide more surface area for spreading bolt clamp force.
2.I've used normal Shimano lock rings with both DTSwiss 350 hubs and 240 EXP hubs, no issues with clearance or rubbing with either. My Crux came from the factory with SRAM Force Centerline discs and Shimano lockrings.
3. My Crux had only the black rubber cover under the bottom bracket. The cable guide would replace the cover for the hole underneath the bottom bracket. Needed if you want a front derailleaur.
4. Should be included. Not installed until brake lines are run through the frame, since it is placed on the rear hydro brake line.
5. Get the reducer shim. I think this is recommended by Specialized for structural reasons - to spread and reduce the clamping force.

You can't really use tires much wider than 38mm on the rear anyways. The largest tires I have managed to fit without clearance issues is the Continental TerraSpeed 40 (which are slightly undersized).
Thanks, this is super helpful! So, regarding nr. 3, does this (part nr. S186500009) replace the entire rubber cover under the BB? https://www.certini.co.uk/components/se ... ide__60437
I can only find photos that show it from the side and I cannot see if it has a flat cover on the bottom, which would replace the stock 1x-specific cover

allrandomletters

by allrandomletters

Actually, I'm not 100% sure - I'll take a look at mine tonight and let you know what I figure out.

Either the cable guide is mounted internal to route the cable around the BB shell, with a cable exit somewhere on the seattube (in which case, the external rubber cover is still used). Or the cable guide replaces the cover, and guides the cable out of the port under the bottom bracket, and up between the chainstays to the FD - like the Aethos.

I would expect a frameset to come with both parts though. I've only run my Crux 1x, so never dealt with it.

steveadore

by steveadore

allrandomletters wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:03 pm
Actually, I'm not 100% sure - I'll take a look at mine tonight and let you know what I figure out.

Either the cable guide is mounted internal to route the cable around the BB shell, with a cable exit somewhere on the seattube (in which case, the external rubber cover is still used). Or the cable guide replaces the cover, and guides the cable out of the port under the bottom bracket, and up between the chainstays to the FD - like the Aethos.

I would expect a frameset to come with both parts though. I've only run my Crux 1x, so never dealt with it.
Thanks, looking forward to your update. I suspect it might be internal, but I cannot find the user manual anywhere.

rolfo

by rolfo

rolfo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:53 am
TheDoctor wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:42 am
rolfo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:28 am
Hi Fellow bikers,

I'm want to go for a Specialized Crux and found a 52cm and a 54cm (pretty rare ;-).

I have a Specialized Aethos in size 54, so first choice would be a 54. But if I look at the stack and reach a 52 would also be possible:

- 54cm: 100 stem and 5 mm spacers under stem.
- 52cm: 110 stem and 15mm spacers under stem.

Should I go for the 54cm as adviced by Specialized (long reach short stem plan)? Or go for a 52cm as I'm looking for and Aethos with fat tires which rides as a road bike (which I ride a lot on the road ;-)

Thanks!
FWIW, I have a Tarmac SL6 and a Crux both in 54, saw no need to size down. In case you're looking at an S-Works frame that comes with the Alpinist seatpost, do consider your saddle height as well. The stock Alpinist post length on these frame sizes is "only" 300mm with an 80mm min. insertion. If you have a relative large saddle height that might be an issue with the 52.
Would something indeed to consider. I would go for the pro frame and there is a terra post included, but I'll check thanks!
No one did "a size down" from their road Aethos (tarmac)?

allrandomletters

by allrandomletters

steveadore wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:38 pm
Thanks, looking forward to your update. I suspect it might be internal, but I cannot find the user manual anywhere.
2018-2021 Crux has a cable exit port behind the bottom bracket between the chainstays. Looks like the cable guide mounts into a post hole in the BB shell, cable guide is internal to smooth the bend around the bottom bracket up to the cable port exit. You can see the post hole in this picture, in the center inside between the AL cups.

Then the rubber cover is installed on the access hole at the bottom of the downtube.

You will use both peices. Cable guide is internal, rubber cover is on the external access port.

steveadore

by steveadore

allrandomletters wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:36 pm
steveadore wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:38 pm
2018-2021 Crux has a cable exit port behind the bottom bracket between the chainstays. Looks like the cable guide mounts into a post hole in the BB shell, cable guide is internal to smooth the bend around the bottom bracket up to the cable port exit. You can see the post hole in this picture, in the center inside between the AL cups.

Then the rubber cover is installed on the access hole at the bottom of the downtube.

You will use both peices. Cable guide is internal, rubber cover is on the external access port.
Oh, this is a surprise! And not a good one, for me. It seems that if you install the cable guide with a screw that bolts into that post hole, the end of the screw would be poking out and prevent the installation of a BBInfinite-style one-piecer adapter/BB, right? Hambini's design might work, as it's stepped down a bit in the middle section, but it might still be tricky.
Otherwise all other cables (rear brake line, RD cable) go around (i.e. outside, not through) the BB hole, don't they? And the FD cable, if I understood you correctly does the same, but its guide requires a screw that might mess with BB options :|

allrandomletters

by allrandomletters

The cable guide might not use a screw at all - in fact, it probably doesnt. The round peg is probably a friction fit into the hole, and uses the cable tension to keep it in place.

It shouldn't prevent installations of any BB solution, and is nothing a file and some glue can't fix.

steveadore

by steveadore

Ah, excellent. This sounds much better than what I thought.

Is the BB hole completely solid otherwise, in the sense that all cables go around (either under or above) it, rather than through it?

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Getting this back to 2022 Crux content :smartass:

I cut a Schwalbe last week and with the recent LA weather I decided that I didn't feel like riding my Tarmac. Schwalbe G One RS tires are so good that they're out of stock everywhere so my backup G27s with RH 48s were tossed on.

fa63

by fa63

Anyone have a picture of their Crux with ~60mm deep rims and road tires? Thinking about a new set of wheels for road rides and I am torn between HED Vanquish 4 and 6...

m3bas

by m3bas

fa63 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:03 am
Anyone have a picture of their Crux with ~60mm deep rims and road tires? Thinking about a new set of wheels for road rides and I am torn between HED Vanquish 4 and 6...
No photo but I have both those wheels and far prefer the 4 as an all around wheel. I use the 6 for racing as they are definitely faster at speed but do catch the wind so you always need to be on guard.

fa63

by fa63

m3bas wrote: No photo but I have both those wheels and far prefer the 4 as an all around wheel. I use the 6 for racing as they are definitely faster at speed but do catch the wind so you always need to be on guard.
Got you, thanks. When I do solo road rides where I don't care about going fast, I just leave my gravel wheels and tires on, but when I do group road rides, the pace is usually pretty spirited so I was thinking about going with the 6s to get everything I can :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com