Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I have the 25mm offset as shown here:
I've never used the Roval posts but I run bigger tires at relatively low pressures so maybe that's why I don't find it to be harsh.

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

duffaux wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:51 pm
Anyone testesd Darimo T2, Roval Alpinist and specialized Terra seapost?

I have just installed Darimo and I think is no so complant as Terra seapost
I've ridden both the stock Terra post and an Alpinist. There is a small difference but it wasn't as much as I'd expected.
adrenaline junkie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joesch

by joesch

Quick question: What is the reason why this frame is only 2x electronic?
Is it the lack of a port above the BB to run a cable to the FD? Or would a manual GRX work? Thx!

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

joesch wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:32 pm
Is it the lack of a port above the BB to run a cable to the FD? Or would a manual GRX work? Thx!
Full rundown on what works with max/min chain ring sizes and mech vs elec:
https://support.specialized.com/crux/en ... ain-brakes

There aren't cable guides or cable stop for a mech. front der.
adrenaline junkie

joesch

by joesch

SpeedyChix wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:46 pm
joesch wrote:

Many thanks! Lack of cable guides/cable stop was the answer I was looking for. Too bad.

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

joesch wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:49 pm
SpeedyChix wrote:
joesch wrote:

Many thanks! Lack of cable guides/cable stop was the answer I was looking for. Too bad.
They pulled a lot of the design for the Crux from the Aethos and this was probably part of that omission. Aslo the trend for the majority of gravel bikes being 1x.
adrenaline junkie

jonmc7583

by jonmc7583

getthesand0ut wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:59 pm
A few new upgrades.
Eagle 10-50
Eagle GX
Eagle Chain
44T front
Rival Power Meter

I see the OOBS sticker, I am from the Twin Cities as well (Lakeville).

PeteAus

by PeteAus

joesch wrote:
SpeedyChix wrote:
joesch wrote:

Yep! I have just learnt this the hard way. I bought a Crux Comp last year which came fitted with Rival 1X groupset. I reasoned that if I didn't like the 1x for on road riding I'd buy a GRX mechanical groupset and use that. So I bought the groupset and found I need a special derailleur hanger. The hanger wasn't available n Australia so I ordered it from the US. It took 5 weeks to get here and earlier this week I was excited to set it all up.
After wrestling a full length housing through the frame and out of the hole in the seat tube but couldn't work out how the derailleur could be connected. I contacted one of the specialized shops who told me I need a new downtube port which had a cable stop on it so the FD cable runs through the frame unsheathed, it then goes to a cable guide inside the bottom bracket and to the derailluer through the hole in the seat tube.

Trouble is it still can't work because the hole is in the wrong position.
So I have wasted a LOT of money. And today I found the true story when I found this thread.

PeteAus

by PeteAus

uppis wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:44 pm
renoracing wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:48 pm
I've got the same direct mount hanger on the Crux, Aethos, and SL7... S182600003
Thanks for confirming, have to order one.
The one I was told to get was this one S201900005. I fitted it and it works

PeteAus

by PeteAus

PeteAus wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:01 am
joesch wrote:
SpeedyChix wrote:
joesch wrote:

Yep! I have just learnt this the hard way. I bought a Crux Comp last year which came fitted with Rival 1X groupset. I reasoned that if I didn't like the 1x for on road riding I'd buy a GRX mechanical groupset and use that. So I bought the groupset and found I need a special derailleur hanger. The hanger wasn't available n Australia so I ordered it from the US. It took 5 weeks to get here and earlier this week I was excited to set it all up.
After wrestling a full length housing through the frame and out of the hole in the seat tube but couldn't work out how the derailleur could be connected. I contacted one of the specialized shops who told me I need a new downtube port which had a cable stop on it so the FD cable runs through the frame unsheathed, it then goes to a cable guide inside the bottom bracket and to the derailluer through the hole in the seat tube.

Trouble is it still can't work because the hole is in the wrong position.
So I have wasted a LOT of money. And today I found the true story when I found this thread.
And I just got this message from Specialized Australia.

"The Crux is not compatible with a mechanical front derailleur I'm afraid. You can either run 1x mechanical or 2x electronic shifting.

This is detailed in your User Manual, across pages 7-11.

I hope this helps answer your question."

And my useless reply

"Thanks, It's a shame I bought the bike before getting the manual and seeing this.It's also a shame that I already bought a mechanical GRX grouset and have fitted it to my bike already except for the front derailleur.

Also, when I asked the dealer I bought it from they told me it was possible, I just needed more parts.

"When you swap the plate out on the top of the down tube the outer casing for the front mech cable will stop there, it won't be full length outer. The inner wire will have guide that sits around the bb and then the inner wire will exit the frame where the outer is currently positioned. "

I know this isn't your fault but I am pretty pissed at having bought this bike and also have dropped more money on top. I wouldn't have bought the bike knowing this."

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

PeteAus wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:21 am

I know this isn't your fault but I am pretty pissed at having bought this bike and also have dropped more money on top. I wouldn't have bought the bike knowing this."
Honestly think that's an issue you should bring up with the shop instead of specialized. The manuals are available for download, and also they had pretty specifically stated that it wasn't 2x mechanical compatible in the press materials when launched.

https://bikerumor.com/all-new-specializ ... big-tires/

Whoever the shop was that upsold you with faulty info doesn't deserve your business anymore.

PeteAus

by PeteAus

No I really need to blame myself. I should have contacted Specialized before I bought the bike and asked them for a copy of the owners manual. I got mislead when I searched for the front derailleur mount and found the part number.This lead me to information showing the part was the same as MY21 Aethos and the documentation shows how to mount the hanger demonstrating it on an Aethos frame and shows how to run the mechanical FD cable on the Aethos. I didn't ask Specialized if the Crux had the same hole in the frame that is shown in the S201900005 mounting documents to allow it to have a mechanical front derailleur. I actually never asked if the second port on the downtube cable entry that was left open was able to be used for a mechanical FD cable or was it only there for a dropper seatpost cable. After trawling around various forums it seems they are a lot of other people who are unaware as well. Anyway, I can now see how I was misled. How I didn't ask questions that I didn't know I needed to ask. And at the end of the day the reason you can't use mechanical shifting at the front is they didn't drill a small hole in the Crux behind the bottom bracket like they did on the Aethos.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

This is by no means a perfect solution, but are there not decal cable guides that would allow you to run a cable on the downtube straight to the front derailleur? It'd be fairly ugly, but its a fix.

PeteAus

by PeteAus

I did try that but the cable sticks out too far and it is indeed very ugly. The cable is mor likely to get damaged like this. Cable tying directly to the frame was also very ugly and it didn't really hold the cable in one position. Protective taping it under the downtube is reasonably neat and if I was able to wrap like a professional I probably wouldn't be too disappointed in the finish. The smart thing to do would be to clear wrap the whole bike first and then a second wrap under the down tube for the cable.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

tonytourist wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:09 pm
I have the 25mm offset as shown here:
I've never used the Roval posts but I run bigger tires at relatively low pressures so maybe that's why I don't find it to be harsh.
Do you ride that in the dirt? Those fragile parts and the bottle ejecting cages would last about 5 miles on the dirt road around here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com