Favero Assioma with Xpedo CXR Pedals

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

bobrayner wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:25 pm
A report from the field: My Assioma-Xpedos survived a severe pedal strike today, when I chose the wrong line on the trail. The big lump of black plastic looks exposed, but it's actually quite tough. Mine is just slightly scratched. I was worried that it would be vulnerable. Good news!
Definitely good news. Impressed it didn't crack.
adrenaline junkie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gSporco

by gSporco

Reviving this for some updates on Assioma CXR conversion..

So on my CXR pedals, If I "do not" use the dust shield washer on the inside of spindle (double bearing side) the pedal spins freely, no preload issues and no lateral play..

My question, do I really need to run the dust shield or make one that fits.. or will running them exposed be okay? The bearings are sealed anyway, and are no more exposed than a headset bearing.. I was just thinking a little extra grease squirted in to provide barrier to the elements may be enough, and then just keep them clean between very dirty rides..

Or maybe fashion something thin out of plastic to provide a cover?

Your thoughts?
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

bobrayner

by bobrayner

That sounds good to me. However, it probably depends on some very personal variables - how dirty do your rides get, and how meticulous are you about cleaning your bike afterward? (The inner side of the pedal is the last place that most riders would think of cleaning).

Personally, I live in a muddy area and I'm a bit lazy with cleaning, so I fitted slim PTFE washers as an improvised bearing shield.
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

gSporco

by gSporco

bobrayner wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:37 pm
That sounds good to me. However, it probably depends on some very personal variables - how dirty do your rides get, and how meticulous are you about cleaning your bike afterward? (The inner side of the pedal is the last place that most riders would think of cleaning).

Personally, I live in a muddy area and I'm a bit lazy with cleaning, so I fitted slim PTFE washers as an improvised bearing shield.
I like the idea of the PTFE washer... more protection is better than none...
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

I took off the washer from Xpedo M-force 8 (pictures) and M-force 4. They are aluminium and are easy to remove. They slide easy to Assioma axle and the end result is exatly the same as original Xpedo desing.

crlincoln

by crlincoln

Question on the newer DUO Shimano pedals...

I scanned the thread or may be I've misinterpreted the information and watching the DC Rainmaker video, which seemed to suggest the axles were very similar but with a slight difference. Is there a similar hack to put SPD compatible pedals on?

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

crlincoln wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:37 am
Question on the newer DUO Shimano pedals...

I scanned the thread or may be I've misinterpreted the information and watching the DC Rainmaker video, which seemed to suggest the axles were very similar but with a slight difference. Is there a similar hack to put SPD compatible pedals on?
Compiled this after a lot of digging through exploded views of Shimano pedals and SJS cycles replacement offerings. The list below is a mix of road and mtb pedals.

For the Shimano spindles, looking at the part number from the Shimano exploded views of the compatible pedals on Favero’s site and doing a cross-ref search at SJS Cycles, this is a listing of what pedals might make suitable conversion candidates (for the SHIMANO Favero spindles).

Favero Shimano spindles (l/r p/n) Compatibility based on lists from SJS Cycles. Just did a quick scan/bolding of those that will have SPD interface on at least one side. *I only have done conversions of the DUOs to date, have a set of the PD-EH500 on hand but don't have the DUO spindles accessible to try them on.

R7000 YL8G98030 40
no others listed

R550 Y43Z13100 Y43Z14100

Shimano SPD PD-M536
Shimano SLX SPD PD-M530
Shimano SPD PD-M515
Shimano SPD PD-M424

Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL PD-6700
Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL PD-6620
Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL PD-6610
Shimano 105 SPD-SL PD-5700
Shimano 105 SPD-SL PD-5610
Shimano 105 SPD-SL PD-5600
Shimano SPD PD-A530
Shimano SPD PD-A520
Shimano SPD/Flat PD-EH500
Shimano SPD PD-ED500

Shimano Click’R PD-MT50
Shimano SPD-SL PD-RS500
Shimano SPD-SL PD-R670
Shimano SPD-SL PD-R550
Shimano SPD-SL PD-R540
Shimano SPD-R PD-R535
Shimano Click’R/Flat PD-T421
Shimano Click’R PD-T420
Shimano Click’R PD-T400

R540 Y45F98020 30
Shimano SPD-SL PD-RS500
Shimano SPD-SL PD-R550

R8000 YL8B98050 60
Spindle can also be used on 6800 pedal

R6800 Y46N98070 80
No others listed

Saw a pic/info re a set of Shimano PD-ES600 bodies installed on a pair of Assiomas Shi. The non threaded part of the axle is around 7mm longer on the Assioma, they solved with addition of 3 rubber O rings (14mmx2.50mm).
Last edited by SpeedyChix on Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adrenaline junkie

bobrayner

by bobrayner

Great work!
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

crlincoln

by crlincoln

Wow…. Thanks… now need to work out which pedal suits my needs…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bratz

by bratz

kampiakseli wrote:I took off the washer from Xpedo M-force 8 (pictures) and M-force 4. They are aluminium and are easy to remove. They slide easy to Assioma axle and the end result is exatly the same as original Xpedo desing.
How do you take off the end cap of the pedal to remove it from the axle?

ThanksImage

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

I put it between pliers and plase the nut to the axle. Then tap the nut with hammer. It does not require much force. Axle is steell and the washer is aluminium.

bratz

by bratz

@kampiaksell i was meaning the circle cover on the outside of the pedal. It looks like on the top right of your photo with oring? Peel it off with a razor blade?

bratz

by bratz

Anyone know if this Xpedo pedal would be able to be used in this conversion? How do I take off the cap to access the bolt to remove pedal from axle?Image

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

bratz wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:43 pm
How do I take off the cap to access the bolt to remove pedal from axle?
The endcaps are removable. Rotate to expose an area to press against. These are quite soft, you'll probably leave notches. The Ti version uses Phillips screws to hold the body, same thread on left and right. I didn't compare R-Force and M-Force 8 Ti (own both), so hard to tell about compatibility. Make sure to use Xpedo cleats, steel cleats will groove the pedal body away.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bratz

by bratz

Cool. Thanks. Will try to remove