Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

sportsgravel

by sportsgravel

It looks like my aspero might finally be arriving next week! Looking at some quick and easy weight savings and have seen the J&L thru axles discussed. Anyone had any issues with these or do they seem to be solid? What sort of weight savings would be expected over stock?

Is there any other low hanging fruit weight savings around? I'm getting a Red AXS XPLR build

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

belopsky

by belopsky

sportsgravel wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:24 am
It looks like my aspero might finally be arriving next week! Looking at some quick and easy weight savings and have seen the J&L thru axles discussed. Anyone had any issues with these or do they seem to be solid? What sort of weight savings would be expected over stock?

Is there any other low hanging fruit weight savings around? I'm getting a Red AXS XPLR build
There are 90+ pages of this discussion here, mostly focused on the regular Aspero - are you getting the Aspero or Aspero5? if the 5 I believe your stem options are slimmer because of integrated.

J&L axles are cheaper options, yes, along with some lighter tires (maybe RH Barlow Pass). If you're getting the Reserve wheels..those are nice, but there are lighter wheels out there.

If money was no object for me I'd go MCFK/Darimo/THM/Extralight/CarbonTI for anything on the frame :D

sportsgravel

by sportsgravel

Next question! has anyone had success running the Sram AXS 48-35 chainrings on their aspero? internet seems to have mixed opinions on the subject

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

sportsgravel wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:55 am
Next question! has anyone had success running the Sram AXS 48-35 chainrings on their aspero? internet seems to have mixed opinions on the subject
the 35T inner will be VERY tight. If you drop a chain inside the inner ring, it WILL take off a LOT of paint. I know this with experience from running a 50/34. I think I have pictures of the damage in here somewhere.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Tavinski

by Tavinski

Does anyone have any recommendations for longer mud guards or fenders that come off the seat tube instead of the saddle or seat post? My saddle is very far from the back wheel so small mudguards do very little to stop me from getting sprayed.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Tavinski wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:58 pm
Does anyone have any recommendations for longer mud guards or fenders that come off the seat tube instead of the saddle or seat post? My saddle is very far from the back wheel so small mudguards do very little to stop me from getting sprayed.
Only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be Ass Savers, but that mounts to the saddle.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

kervelo

by kervelo

Tavinski wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:58 pm
Does anyone have any recommendations for longer mud guards or fenders that come off the seat tube instead of the saddle or seat post?
Another type of fenders is the "swan tail" that is attached to the seat tube but is closer to the rear tyre. For example SKS S-blade, but there are many other brands and models too.
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/s-blade/

Ass savers has the long Fendor Bendor model that is attached to the seat tube.
https://ass-savers.com/collections/rear ... -4-regular

Tavinski

by Tavinski

IrrelevantD wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:40 am
sportsgravel wrote:
the 35T inner will be VERY tight. If you drop a chain inside the inner ring, it WILL take off a LOT of paint. I know this with experience from running a 50/34. I think I have pictures of the damage in here somewhere.
Is this a common issue with running a 50/34? What size cassette were you using? I found a 50/34 Easton Chainring that I was going to use with an 11-34.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Tavinski wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:48 am
IrrelevantD wrote:
sportsgravel wrote:
Is this a common issue with running a 50/34? What size cassette were you using? I found a 50/34 Easton Chainring that I was going to use with an 11-34.
Cassette size doesn't matter except for RD selection. With a normal chainline, you have about ~3mm clearance between the chainring and the chainstay, slightly more at the downtube with a 50/34 combo. When you consider that a 11s chain is about 5.4mm wide, something is going to have to give in a chain suck or dropped chain situation. The ring will flex a little bit, but it's going to take off a good bit of paint. Thankfully, the Aspero has a really thick coat of paint on it. You can take off a lot of it without doing any serious damage to the carbon. A little clear 2-part epoxy and some touch up paint, and it's at least covered and protected.

I switched to a SRAM "wide" crankset and the extra 2.5mm of clearance really helps. I dropped a chain due to a hastilly allingned FD and chain cleared the downtube with no issues. I have not seen any adverse affects from pushing the chainline out by 2.5mm, so that'd be my recomendation for 2x with a 50/34. It might even be possible to run a 50/34 oval, but I haven't tested it as I don't have the rings.

Tavinski

by Tavinski

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:59 am
Tavinski wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:48 am
IrrelevantD wrote:
sportsgravel wrote:
Cassette size doesn't matter except for RD selection. With a normal chainline, you have about ~3mm clearance between the chainring and the chainstay, slightly more at the downtube with a 50/34 combo. When you consider that a 11s chain is about 5.4mm wide, something is going to have to give in a chain suck or dropped chain situation. The ring will flex a little bit, but it's going to take off a good bit of paint. Thankfully, the Aspero has a really thick coat of paint on it. You can take off a lot of it without doing any serious damage to the carbon. A little clear 2-part epoxy and some touch up paint, and it's at least covered and protected.

I switched to a SRAM "wide" crankset and the extra 2.5mm of clearance really helps. I dropped a chain due to a hastilly allingned FD and chain cleared the downtube with no issues. I have not seen any adverse affects from pushing the chainline out by 2.5mm, so that'd be my recomendation for 2x with a 50/34. It might even be possible to run a 50/34 oval, but I haven't tested it as I don't have the rings.
I have my full bike ride wrapped so not super worried about trading paint. Are you saying that with the 50/34 the risk of dropping a chain increased? I am running a standard GRX 600 46/32 chainring at the moment with the 600n derailleur and 11/34 cassette.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Tavinski wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:37 pm

I have my full bike ride wrapped so not super worried about trading paint. Are you saying that with the 50/34 the risk of dropping a chain increased? I am running a standard GRX 600 46/32 chainring at the moment with the 600n derailleur and 11/34 cassette.
No, I'm not saying the risk of a dropped chain increases, I'm saying the risk of damage increases. Risk of dropping the chain shouldn't change much, if any. But, the larger ring reduces the distance between the ring and the chainstay and depending on the design, may be a tight fit at the downtube. When you consider that an 11s chain is 5.4mm wide, and with a 50/34 you have about a 3mm gap betwen the ring and the frame... it will rip right through the ride wrap and every layer of paint down to the carbon if you get chain suck. If the chain gets between the chainring bolt and the downtube, it will do the same up there.

Moral of the story, be very very meticulous when setting up your FD... you don't want your frame to look like mine. I do however keep it well hidden behind KYTEX and a Quarq D-Four.

gwinch

by gwinch

Hi all, just done a quick search but couldn't find anythig meaningful. Hopefully a few months off yet but I will be using my Aspero as a winter bike and wondered if anyone had got SKS Raceblades mudguards to fit or if there was a betteer option. Not really a fan of mudguards but need them for club rides.

Stueys

by Stueys

gwinch wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:09 pm
Hi all, just done a quick search but couldn't find anythig meaningful. Hopefully a few months off yet but I will be using my Aspero as a winter bike and wondered if anyone had got SKS Raceblades mudguards to fit or if there was a betteer option. Not really a fan of mudguards but need them for club rides.
Running https://www.crudproducts.com/roadracer-mk3/ on mine, work well. Only issue is the rear guard could do with being a bit longer for club rides.

jayjay

by jayjay

Asking for a friend:
Can somebody help out with the correct cable length for a Shimano GRX Di2 setup with a size 51 Aspero frame?

Vinsanyon

by Vinsanyon

Ordered 12s Di2 for my aspero then saw the claimed on the website:

**New Shimano road (not gravel) 12 speed front derailleurs reduce tire clearance in the rear of the frame to 700x38c or 650x45b.

does anyone know a little bit of inside why is this the case? I thought the new di2 front mech is smaller compare to the old one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com