Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

kervelo

by kervelo

I replaced the original Apex crankset with the standard Quarq DUB road cranks (pretty muct the same as the SRAM carbon cranks AFAIK), SRAM power meter spider and the SRAM DUB bottom bracket (BBright version).
https://r2-bike.com/SRAM-Innenlager-DUB ... mm-BBRight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PaulH

by PaulH

This is the info I was looking for thanks so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andry96

by andry96

someone is using 650bx50mm tyres?
i want to buy a pair of 650b wheels but i'm not sure about the biggest tyres i can fit, on trails without mud, i like the pirelli M 50mm but i'm not sure they can fit and i dont'see many interesting 47/49mm interesting tyres

andry96

by andry96

My current setup
Grx 2x 11-42 cassette
Campagnolo levante Image

Inviato dal mio Mi 9T utilizzando Tapatalk

Michke

by Michke

Currently riding an Aspero GRX810 and after spending the last months deciding what bike to get as a replacement I am now leaning towards buying a new Aspero 5.
I initially bought the Aspero as a winter bike with the option for an occasional gravel ride but am now focussing more and more on gravel racing.
I am still riding the Gravel LN wheels, and also want to move to electronic shifting. Therefore figured that replacing the entire bike might be the best option.

Been looking at the Kaius and Grail 2.0 but then came across some nice deals on the Aspero 5 (5700Eur for Force, 6700Eur for Red)
Still deciding between 2x GRX Di2 or 1x Etap...

Anyone here riding a Aspero 5 size 58? curious about the initial weight... and how much you were able to bring it down to. Assume Kaius and Grail will have a significant lower "start" weight.
Also interested in feedback on the reserve wheels and your take on stem/handlebars combo as I will have to ditch the 100mm stem / 440mm bars for a 110mm/400mm set-up.

Thx!

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Michke wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:10 pm
Currently riding an Aspero GRX810 and after spending the last months deciding what bike to get as a replacement I am now leaning towards buying a new Aspero 5.
I initially bought the Aspero as a winter bike with the option for an occasional gravel ride but am now focussing more and more on gravel racing.
I am still riding the Gravel LN wheels, and also want to move to electronic shifting. Therefore figured that replacing the entire bike might be the best option.

Been looking at the Kaius and Grail 2.0 but then came across some nice deals on the Aspero 5 (5700Eur for Force, 6700Eur for Red)

Anyone here riding a Aspero 5 size 58? curious about the initial weight... and how much you were able to bring it down to. Assume Kaius and Grail will have a significant lower "start" weight.
Also interested in feedback on the reserve wheels and your take on stem/handlebars combo as I will have to ditch the 100mm stem / 440mm bars for a 110mm/400mm set-up.

Thx!
I own 2 Asperos both in size 54. Matte Black Aspero 5 and Gloss Black Aspero. Both bikes have 1x Sram Xplr Force with PM. The Aspero 5 is 8.06 kg with Zipp FC 303 wheels and 40mm Maxxis Reaver tires. I'm running a 110mm Cervelo Carbon Stem and stock bars. My other Aspero has a 110mm Sworks SL7 stem and Easton EA90 40mm Bars with Resere 40/44 wheels and Sworks Pathfinder 42mm tires. that weighs around 8.2kg. My guess is the size 58 Aspero5 in stock form would weigh around 8.5kg with tubes in those tires. You can easily drop 200-400 grams by changing Saddle, Tubeless, Brake rotors are heavy if it's the Sram Paceline and also The stock bar is around 290-300 grams. You can run a few other stems assuming they can accept internal cable routing and save another 60-80 grams. Honestly weight on a gravel bike is less of an issue with anything under 9kg and more of a benifit if it means durability and a good riding position. Traction and rolling effeciency along with gearing for the terrain you ride will be more important.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

skinnybex

by skinnybex

I actually Prefer the Reserve 40/44 wheels over the Zipp Firecrest 303's. Even though the Reserves weigh about 150 grams more they feel faster on anything Flat or rolling where carrying speed adds to faster segments and they also feel more compliant. The hubs on my 40/44 are Zipp entry level hubs but engagement is suffecient enough. The Rim profile is what makes the 40/44 such solid wheels being 25mm internal and wide outer diameter and a nice shape they work well with 40-42mm tires at low pressures from 30-38psi.

Michke

by Michke

skinnybex wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:42 pm
Michke wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:10 pm

Thx!
I own 2 Asperos both in size 54. Matte Black Aspero 5 and Gloss Black Aspero. Both bikes have 1x Sram Xplr Force with PM. The Aspero 5 is 8.06 kg with Zipp FC 303 wheels and 40mm Maxxis Reaver tires. I'm running a 110mm Cervelo Carbon Stem and stock bars. My other Aspero has a 110mm Sworks SL7 stem and Easton EA90 40mm Bars with Resere 40/44 wheels and Sworks Pathfinder 42mm tires. that weighs around 8.2kg. My guess is the size 58 Aspero5 in stock form would weigh around 8.5kg with tubes in those tires. You can easily drop 200-400 grams by changing Saddle, Tubeless, Brake rotors are heavy if it's the Sram Paceline and also The stock bar is around 290-300 grams. You can run a few other stems assuming they can accept internal cable routing and save another 60-80 grams. Honestly weight on a gravel bike is less of an issue with anything under 9kg and more of a benifit if it means durability and a good riding position. Traction and rolling effeciency along with gearing for the terrain you ride will be more important.
Thanks for your feedback.
Agree that weight on gravelbikes isn't that important once you drop below a certain treshold. I do however feel that with the Aspero I am riding now I am still above that treshold :)

Do you use yours on the road as well? Have no experience with 1x and since I use the Aspero as a winter bike on the road as well I'm not sure I'll be comfortable with the bigger gear jumps. Not even sure it'll feel ok on gravel.

Any ppl here have experience with Ultegra on a gravel bike? Is the GRX clutch a must have?

skinnybex

by skinnybex

No, my Aspero's are used as gravel bikes with gravel tires since I do have dedicated road bikes. But I will say that as a dedicated road setup I could get use to a 46t 10-36t for road and have enough range for almost anything and have a decent ratio spread. I currently also run a road bike setup of a 50t x 10-33t but obviously I don't ride that bike if I have any longish climbs. I do know that most Shimano riders that use a double use road chainsets but a GRX rear derailuer because of the clutch.

You could likely get a Sram Red 2x around 8.5 kg with pedals and run a 46-33t and a 10-33t. That would work for both surfaces pretty well.

UltraXC

by UltraXC

New member, long long long time lurker.

I recently purchased an Aspero, the bike looks fantastic but I was honestly a bit surprised at the weight! I've included the current build and planned changes. Is there anything I'm missing here? This is my first drop bar bike with disc brakes so resetting my expectations might be part of it. I'm used to my 15lb rim brake road bike and 26lb down country bike. The closest thing to this bike I've had is an aluminum cyclocross bike from 2010 that is the same weight!

Where else should I look to drop some weight? This bike will be used 90% as a road bike so road gearing is a priority.

54cm Frame

Cockpit:
Enve Gravel 42cm (Enve SES AR 40mm -1g)
Enve Road Stem 110mm
Enve 25mm setback post
Prologo Dimension DTM Saddle (Changing to Fizik Vento Argo R1 140mm -40g)

Groupset:
GRX 810 2x11
11-34 Ultegra Cassette (Changing to CNC milled Aliexpress -100g)
160mm Ultegra Rotors
Pioneer Dura-Ace Crankset 50/34

Wheels:
Enve G23 with Enve Alloy hubs
Gravelking Slicks 35mm with Silca Sealant

Other:
Stock Headset
Kogel BB
Silca Ti outfront computer mount
Arundel Mandible Carbon cages
XT Race pedals (Change to XTR Race 52mm -30g)

Current Weight: 19lbs

bet609

by bet609

hi any one has info about a new Cervelo Aspero?
noticed a new UCI code in the equiptment list.

ÁSPERO ÁSPERO ALL 48 - 61 (6) 23.12.2022 CERV-F157 CERV-F157

Avalius

by Avalius

Anyone build up an aspero 5 with the integrated cockpit using a mechanical RD?
Wondering if I could fit that one cable in the stem together with the brake hoses.

ruffie44

by ruffie44

Hello everyone,

i currently have an Aspero 5 frame in size 56 on order. I would like to get rid of the stem and bar and replace it with a full carbon cockpit.
Has anyone already done a conversion to a cockpit or does anyone have pictures of an Aspero 5 with a Cockpit?

whoisbenshane

by whoisbenshane

UltraXC wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:15 pm

I recently purchased an Aspero, the bike looks fantastic but I was honestly a bit surprised at the weight! I've included the current build and planned changes. Is there anything I'm missing here? This is my first drop bar bike with disc brakes so resetting my expectations might be part of it. I'm used to my 15lb rim brake road bike and 26lb down country bike. The closest thing to this bike I've had is an aluminum cyclocross bike from 2010 that is the same weight!

Where else should I look to drop some weight? This bike will be used 90% as a road bike so road gearing is a priority.

54cm Frame

Cockpit:
Enve Road Stem 110mm
Enve 25mm setback post

Groupset:
GRX 810 2x11
160mm Ultegra Rotors

Wheels:

Other:
Stock Headset
Kogel BB

Hi there. I also just picked up an Aspero (Non-5) module and planning the build. I am pretty stoked to see you get yours close to 18.5lb with your planned mods, and without having resorted to anything weird. That said, there's some low-hanging fruit that I see:

Dura Ace/XTR rotors (or even lighter may exist) with 140mm at the rear, or both ends
Lightweight thru axles
Maybe upgraded headset
Fancy bar tape could maybe shave 30g in an extreme scenario
Remove the downtube protector if your risk tolerance allows.

After that, I feel like you get into the true weight weenie zone of very tiny gains from creative things that could maybe get you under 18lb.

Above mods, you'd probably creep toward 18.25, which is very respectable for an all-road/gravel bike with 2x and hydraulic.

Also, show us your bike:)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UltraXC

by UltraXC

whoisbenshane wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:25 am
UltraXC wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:15 pm

54cm Frame

Cockpit:
Enve Road Stem 110mm
Enve 25mm setback post

Groupset:
GRX 810 2x11
160mm Ultegra Rotors

Wheels:

Other:
Stock Headset
Kogel BB

Hi there. I also just picked up an Aspero (Non-5) module and planning the build. I am pretty stoked to see you get yours close to 18.5lb with your planned mods, and without having resorted to anything weird. That said, there's some low-hanging fruit that I see:

Dura Ace/XTR rotors (or even lighter may exist) with 140mm at the rear, or both ends
Lightweight thru axles
Maybe upgraded headset
Fancy bar tape could maybe shave 30g in an extreme scenario
Remove the downtube protector if your risk tolerance allows.

After that, I feel like you get into the true weight weenie zone of very tiny gains from creative things that could maybe get you under 18lb.

Above mods, you'd probably creep toward 18.25, which is very respectable for an all-road/gravel bike with 2x and hydraulic.

Also, show us your bike:)
Congrats on the new whip! It's a great platform and I've really enjoyed riding it. I ended up making a few other changes as well and it's around 18.25 at the moment:

38cm Enve SES AR bar
300mm 27.2 Enve Zero Setback Seatpost (-35g Big weight savings for just a shorter seatpost!)
I ordered a set of Enve SES 3.4 wheels with XT rotors (same weight as XTR) that I will mount 29mm road tires on. (Should be a wash with slightly heavier wheels and lighter tires.
The G23 wheels will get some Schwalbe G One RSs in 40mm
I also had a custom bag made from Andrew The Maker. It's really great and matches the paint scheme well.

Overall, I'm super happy with the build. It's become one of my favorite bikes already. I have almost 400 miles on it. I plan to ride the sh&t out of this bike and I'm not going to sacrifice durability, convenience or performance (hence the 160mm rotors and stock axles)