Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kras76

by Kras76

Hi all, what's the weight, if you know, of a stock Aspero grx600? I cannot find it anywhere online. Thanks.

hobe

by hobe

Vinsanyon wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:32 pm
Ordered 12s Di2 for my aspero then saw the claimed on the website:

**New Shimano road (not gravel) 12 speed front derailleurs reduce tire clearance in the rear of the frame to 700x38c or 650x45b.

does anyone know a little bit of inside why is this the case? I thought the new di2 front mech is smaller compare to the old one.
Very interested in hearing more about this as well as I consider an Aspero. In digging around I found this on the Allied Echo page:
*Due to the wire routing on the Shimano front derailleur, Shimano Echo builds have a 38mm rear tire clearance.

Which seems similar to what Cervelo is stating. Looking at a few builds it does seem like the di2 wire on the FD comes out right near the tire. Anyone have hands on experience with this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

My shop currently has an Apex 1 build and wondering if people who have this build are satisfied with it for atleast a season before upgrading? They're offering it to me at $2600 so it seems like a no brainer, especially in the Sunset Purple colorway. Both of my current bikes are Di2 so it will definitely be a step down shifting wise, but when I test rode the bike shifting seemed nice and precise.

itapersita

by itapersita

IrrelevantD wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:11 am
bmCube wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:11 pm
Do you have a picture of yours? @IrrelevantD
Actually, I don't. I used the same stuff to make some protection against dropped chains around the bottom bracket. I didn't take any pictures of what I made for the downtube.

How did you glue the Kytex on the frame? Is it removable?

I am thinking to use an aluminum plate and attach it on the frame with an epoxy glue. I have the same problem, chain drop on my 2x sram 56-33. This bike is not good for 2x, no matter how you adjust it. I also want to use a chain catcher but I read your post about it and I am scared

skinnybex

by skinnybex

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:57 pm
My shop currently has an Apex 1 build and wondering if people who have this build are satisfied with it for atleast a season before upgrading? They're offering it to me at $2600 so it seems like a no brainer, especially in the Sunset Purple colorway. Both of my current bikes are Di2 so it will definitely be a step down shifting wise, but when I test rode the bike shifting seemed nice and precise.
Jump on that deal Asap. The Aspero Frame and Geo is fantastic and thats what makes the bike, drivetrain is really preference but that can be changed later. The most important thing is to dial your fit and get some miles on the bike. The only real upgrades would be Tire, Saddle and Bar and Stem. Drivetrain and Wheels can wait until you really know what you want in 4-6 months when it's prime riding season.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

mb2243

by mb2243

FYI - I know that chainring clearance is a big topic for the Aspero. I can report that there is plenty of clearance for a 46t 1x chainring using the a Sram DUB wide crankset.

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

skinnybex wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:04 am
Jump on that deal Asap.
Thanks for the info. I put half down on it last night so should be mine soon enough!

skinnybex

by skinnybex

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:46 pm
skinnybex wrote:
Jump on that deal Asap.
Thanks for the info. I put half down on it last night so should be mine soon enough!
Where are you located in the Midwest ? I'm in Bentonville and we have the best gravel riding in the country and my Aspero is the perfect fast bike. It's all about tire selection. You'll be able to run any brand 42mm tire with just enough mud/debris clearance left over.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

itapersita wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:47 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:11 am
bmCube wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:11 pm
Do you have a picture of yours? @IrrelevantD
Actually, I don't. I used the same stuff to make some protection against dropped chains around the bottom bracket. I didn't take any pictures of what I made for the downtube.
How did you glue the Kytex on the frame? Is it removable?

I am thinking to use an aluminum plate and attach it on the frame with an epoxy glue. I have the same problem, chain drop on my 2x sram 56-33. This bike is not good for 2x, no matter how you adjust it. I also want to use a chain catcher but I read your post about it and I am scared
3M double sided tape. The dark grey stuff. I wanted it to be removable if needed.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

skinnybex wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:44 am
Where are you located in the Midwest ? I'm in Bentonville and we have the best gravel riding in the country and my Aspero is the perfect fast bike. It's all about tire selection. You'll be able to run any brand 42mm tire with just enough mud/debris clearance left over.
Im in Southern WI. I have heard that Northern IL also has some pretty good gravel roads and that's the goal this summer, to get down there and check em out. I was planning on signing up for the Unbound 200 but don't know if I can fit it in my schedule and that's even if I get in the lottery. I have heard about Bentonville and it's definitely a place on my list now that I have a gravel bike.

we51

by we51

@skinnybex - What tires are you running specifically? I signed up for Rule of 3, and just ordered an Apex 1 Aspero today. I think that I'll want as much tire as possible for the single track sectors, but also want to keep rolling resistance reasonable for the road sections. Thanks!
skinnybex wrote:
EsotericCyclist wrote:
skinnybex wrote:
Jump on that deal Asap.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

we51 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:23 am
@skinnybex - What tires are you running specifically? I signed up for Rule of 3, and just ordered an Apex 1 Aspero today. I think that I'll want as much tire as possible for the single track sectors, but also want to keep rolling resistance reasonable for the road sections. Thanks!
skinnybex wrote:
EsotericCyclist wrote:
skinnybex wrote:
Jump on that deal Asap.
I'm currently running Conty Terra Speed 40's but no way I'd use those for rule of 3. I've done the race once as well as the Rule of Free and I ran the Pathfinder Pro 42's for the RO3 and the Pirelli Cinturato H 42's for ROF which was more tech singletrack last year. I'd say I prefer the Pathfinder's more since they roll fast on 3/4 of the course and have good enough sidewalls for the sharp gravel. If it's wet again I'd say the Cinturato M would work well.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

skinnybex wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:02 am
we51 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:23 am
skinnybex wrote:
EsotericCyclist wrote:

I'm currently running Conty Terra Speed 40's but no way I'd use those for rule of 3. I've done the race once as well as the Rule of Free and I ran the Pathfinder Pro 42's for the RO3 and the Pirelli Cinturato H 42's for ROF which was more tech singletrack last year. I'd say I prefer the Pathfinder's more since they roll fast on 3/4 of the course and have good enough sidewalls for the sharp gravel. If it's wet again I'd say the Cinturato M would work well. More Volume is your friend and lower pressure so minimum 40mm tire and try and run 32psi f -34psi r unless your really light weight then go lower. The Aspero can fit almost every brand 42mm tires which is perfect and going larger just makes the bike feel less responsive.

we51

by we51

Do you think the Cinturato M's would be ok in the dry? I was looking at those as the RR is pretty good, and the side knobs look pretty aggressive.

Huge thanks for the recon!

skinnybex

by skinnybex

we51 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:24 am
Do you think the Cinturato M's would be ok in the dry? I was looking at those as the RR is pretty good, and the side knobs look pretty aggressive.

Huge thanks for the recon!
Oh yeah, the "Cinturato M" would be fine in the dry and actually hook up better in the fast turns on some of the gravel DH sections because of the side knobs. You'd sacrafice a bit of RR on the pavement but I'd say it's a solid tire that is well rounded for changing surface conditions. I run the Terra Speed because it's really fast but it's not the most confidence inspiring tire in the loose gravel turns and it runs fairly narrow concerning tire volume even on my Zipp FC 303 wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com